News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Bunker Aesthetics vs. Placement
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:29:59 AM »
Do we tend to focus too much on the former and not enough on the latter?

Mike
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:31:04 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

BCrosby

Re:Bunker Aesthetics vs. Placement
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »
Yes. Bunker asethetics ought to matter only on the margin. In the trivial sense that I'd rather have a pretty bunker than an ugly one.  

But I'll swap a well-placed bunker for a merely drop dead gorgeous bunker every time.

Now if you combine the two....  

Bob

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 09:43:15 AM »
Mike

Yes.

Bob

Can you please give one example of a "drop dead gorgeous" bunker that is also well placed?  I can't think of one, myslef.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 10:00:17 AM »
Rich -

I would think there are any number of well placed drop dead gorgeous bunkers at Cypress, Royal Melbourn, Pasa(?). The fw bunker on the 3rd at ANGC. MacK's old bunker on the 10th at ANGC would have met the standard until the green was moved by Maxwell. Now it defines eye candy.

Add a number of bunkers at Merion (1,2,10, 13, 15). PVGC (3, 6, 7, 8, 16)

I think Strath, Hell and the Road bunkers are all gorgeous. But maybe that's just me.

I could go on.

But if your point is that there aren't many such bunkers, I certainly agree.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:19:33 AM by BCrosby »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:11:51 AM »
Mike,
Forrest and I talk extensively about this topic in our book.  It comes up all the time on restoration/renovation projects.  

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:17:37 AM »
Mike,

You mean here at prettybunkeratlas.com?  Why would you think that? ;)

Paul Payne

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:23:58 AM »
WJTV

You just made me laugh out loud.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:29:01 AM »
Since this site believes that all golf courses should be all things for all people I'd like to know who decides when a bunker is well placed.  I really liked the top shot bunkers restored at French Lick...The fairway bunkers are only placed properly if you play the correct set of tees...placement all comes down to where the tees are, not where the bunkers are.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:59:42 AM »
Since this site believes that all golf courses should be all things for all people I'd like to know who decides when a bunker is well placed.

I sometimes wonder this myself. Should all bunker placement be based on the notion that the golfer is hitting all good shots? I've had occasion to find that some bunkers that seemed in an odd place when I played a hole well are suddenly very much to be contended with if I happen to hit a poor drive or approach. Is it possible to think too much regarding the placement of bunkers? If the stories are true, wasn't one element of bunker placement on the original links courses that they tended to appear wherever the sheep happened to hunker down to get out of the wind?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »
John,
I trust the architect who put them there is the one who feels that they are "well placed".  Otherwise, why did he bother  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back