News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: King's Putter May 3-5
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »
While I know that we are all not slaves to ratings( ;)), it is worth noting that Chambers Bay is #2 and Olympic at Golf Mountain is #9 on GolfWeek's rankings of the Best Municipal courses in the U.S.

Michael Essig

« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »
Gentlemen,

Obviously, Chambers would be spectacular. Is there any accommodation for golfers with legitimate disabilities? Maybe a cart or two on property for somebody with bad knees or whatnot?  Those without a medical excuse will have to suck it up and stroll just this once . . . . . .

John (Harbottle) told me once that the Olympic Course was his best effort and being a fan of his work, I'd love to finally see it. Wish I could have played it with him - John has not even been gone a year.

Richard, there are two courses at Gold Mountain, correct?

As for that lovely photo above, I am well aware I look like Fred Flintstone making a constricted chop while simultaneously taking a dump. Even Goodale, who has played several dozen rounds with me, was moved to remark that my golf swing is an ocular offense against good taste and propriety.

You all can take great pride in knowing that as long as the Armenian plays in KP, you're guaranteed not to have the ugliest golf swing in the tournament.        

Gib,

Yes Chambers will make exceptions for some golfers.  I believe an employee drives the cart for the player.  Please correct me if that's inaccurate.  

Gold Mountain is a challenging yet playable course that is very enjoyable.   It grows on you with each play.   There is a second more friendly course called the Cascade course.  

Here is Chamber's policy:
GOLF CARTS - Chambers Bay may approve the use of a cart for a guest that has been diagnosed and is currently being treated for a permanent disability as defined by the Americans with Disability Act.  Outside golf cart use is not allowed at Chambers Bay.  Golf cart usage requires prior approval. The use of a caddie is mandatory with all golf carts.  The caddie base fee and gratuity are the player’s responsibility in addition to the golf cart rental fee.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
The KPs I have been too, (3 now) all had three days of official or competitive rounds. Either Fri, Sat, Sun, or Sat, Sun, Mon. Mondays are often good for getting on a private that you would not otherwise be able to do.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
Gib, I am a huge fan of John Harbottle, and a great supporter of the Olympic course. It does not get nearly the recognition it deserves. It will be a great treat for any GCA fan. There are indeed two courses there. It is possible that we end up playing 36 holes there. The second course is not near the quality that Olympic is, however. When I play 36 holes at Gold Mountain, I just play Olympic twice.

As to costs, I am going to try to get us the Pierce county rate, which will knock the CB rate to about $100. There are 36 hole specials at Gold Mountain for $75 as well. I doubt we are going to average more than $150/day for golf.

For hotel, if we base camp around Tacoma, it won't be more than $100/day at the most.

Should we add a round at Salish Cliff?

j/k...

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
I defer to your superior wisdom. Never been to the state of Washington. Provincial Californian evidently.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »

j/k...

No Salish Cliff, but Monday at Fircrest would be primo. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Essig

« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2013, 07:36:01 PM »

j/k...

We would be passing the Home Course to and from a Tacoma base camp on the way to Salish, so I don't see why you couldn't do both in the same day.  

For those who don't know, the Home Course was the second course, along with Chambers Bay, used as venues for the US Amateur in 2010, and it will be hosting the US Women's Am Pub Links in 2014.

I haven't played Salish yet, playing in July, but have heard good things since it was redesigned.  Golf Digest has it ranked 6th in state (sorry for quoting a ranking.)

Doing a 36 hole ride on each side of a 18 hole Chambers walk is do-able in my book.

I would think the following would not be difficult to arrange or manage physically:
Sat - morning at Home Course and afternoon at Salish
Sun - Chambers
Mon - 36 at Olympic at Gold Mtn.

Michael Essig

« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »

j/k...

No Salish Cliff, but Monday at Fircrest would be primo. ;D

Why no Salish?  Just curious.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
Isn't Salish Cliffs the place that Richard and Brent wrote up here as requiring the demon carts be used?

Michael Essig

« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »
Isn't Salish Cliffs the place that Richard and Brent wrote up here as requiring the demon carts be used?

It is the NW, and it is in the forest, so I assume 99% chance it is up and down hills, and the nearest tee box is not adjacent to the preceding green.  It probably isn't much harder walk than Chambers.  If trying to play 36 holes in a day, I am incapable of walking 36 holes like Salish or Olympic or Chambers in a day; and I gather Gib and others are not up to that challenge either.

Since Rich and Victor can walk anything, (yes, I am jealous) I am not sure if they are the best people to ask, so has anyone else walked Salish? 

If we tried to play 36, is the issue/question moot?

Richard Choi

« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »

Dan King

« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:25 PM »
I'll put a few quid on Gib.

Cheers,
Dan King
Nobody buy you and your caddie care what you do out there, and if your caddie is betting against you, he doesn't care, either.
 --Lee Trevino

Michael Essig

« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
Your pictures are far more revealing than the website's flyover on the property, but I am not surprised in the least, hence my 99% guess.  I am familiar with the area, and there is a reason why the area is known for logging.

If you can't walk it, then there is no conceivable way I can.

I am fine riding carts, and it makes playing 36 possible.  Since you suggested the location, and since I have not yet played there, I trust your judgment.  Obviously we rode in carts at Sagebrush at a KP, so a mix of walk and ride shouldn't be too objectionable to this crowd.  :)

I am here to support and help carry the load if KP comes our way.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »
Walking Chambers Bay is a whole day's golf for me. I'd pass up a second round that day. I just got back from the trip. Yesterday I walked Pac Dunes with a caddy, cashed in a bunch of rain checks so the golf was free. That was the first walking round of the year. Woke up feeliong good enough to rickshaw my way around The Preserve with no ill effects to date. Schedule it around a Mariners game.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
... I am incapable of walking 36 holes like Salish or Olympic or Chambers in a day; and I gather Gib and others are not up to that challenge either.

Since Rich and Victor can walk anything, (yes, I am jealous) I am not sure if they are the best people to ask, so has anyone else walked Salish? 

I might have to get Matthew to start needling you about your walking. ;) I've walked 36 in a day at Chambers Bay, and you/ve seen me, the clinically obese old fart. A nice leisurely lunch between rounds is a good facilitator for recuperation and rejuvenation for the second round walk.

I think you didn't catch my drift. Salish doesn't let anyone walk. They actually horse collar you and tell you to get back in your cart if you try to walk.

Michael Essig

« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
... I am incapable of walking 36 holes like Salish or Olympic or Chambers in a day; and I gather Gib and others are not up to that challenge either.

I might have to get Matthew to start needling you about your walking. ;) I've walked 36 in a day at Chambers Bay, and you/ve seen me, the clinically obese old fart. A nice leisurely lunch between rounds is a good facilitator for recuperation and rejuvenation for the second round walk.

I think you didn't catch my drift. Salish doesn't let anyone walk. They actually horse collar you and tell you to get back in your cart if you try to walk.

No needling required. After every round at Bandon, while my feet are being iced down so I can play the next day, he would finally stop complaining and go play more; he just doesn't like playing alone.  My feet are incapable of walking 36; the rest of me is fine. Maybe when I was in my 20's I could have done it, but impossible for the past 15+ years.  Had to quit my over-40 soccer team for the same issue - could barely walk the day following a game. 

Pete - Mariners game, if in town, would be a option.  Sunday games are day games and start at 12:00 or 1:00, so we would have to play Chambers on a Saturday to catch a Mariner night game which starts at 6 or 7.  For those that wanted to play 36 at Chambers instead, they could choose that option.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »
For the life of me I can't fathom how I was so thoroughly beaten down at last year's Dixie Cup by a man who dresses so poorly.  The name of Rihc remains an oath upon my lips.

Nice to see some old friends. 

Bogey

Mihcael my friend.  I was just trying to dress like that good ole boy Doug Sanders (with a little Dan King thrown in).

Rich

PS--if you keep your eye more on the ball than on what you opponents are wearing you will probably improve on your W/L record in GCA competitions (insert snotty-nosed Northerner emoticon here).

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back