News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Thoughts on Playing Yale for the first time today
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
I'm surprised Shi$ hasn't come out of the woodwork to comment on the redan hole.   ;D

Mark

One of the best 4's I've ever seen on that hole.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
I'm surprised Shi$ hasn't come out of the woodwork to comment on the redan hole.   ;D

Mark

Joe-We now know he deserved a drop but the real question remains did he drop properly. Fred Ridley is researching the matter and will let me know shortly. ;)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 08:33:15 PM »
If you're out this way again, let's get out there for a round on a great course!
PL

Peter (and other Yale members),

I think I am playing with Jon S in the Saturday morning tournament. Tom Dunne, Tim Martin or any others, please check in if you play.

Thanks

Mark McKeever

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
I'm surprised Shi$ hasn't come out of the woodwork to comment on the redan hole.   ;D

Mark

Joe-We now know he deserved a drop but the real question remains did he drop properly. Fred Ridley is researching the matter and will let me know shortly. ;)

We need to pull up the pictures that Joe took to see if it was a proper drop or not! 

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Noel Freeman

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
I can't think of a better place to have a GCA outing than Yale. I know that the orchestration could be daunting, but it seems there are enough course members on this site to perhaps accommodate such an endeavor. Even though Yale is a private club, it is more accessible than most and is such a singular work that I can't imagine not playing it during one's lifetime.

It really is worth a trip from the tips. You realize what the challenge was meant to be, after carrying the pond on 1, not knowing which way to go on 3 (or was I the only one?) and on until you get to the 18th and cannot believe the wall that you are about to play.

The first GCA outing ever which I believe was in 2000 was held with Ran, Brad Klein, Tony Pioppi and hosted by Dr. Geoff Childs. I was present at this outing and would humbly say it helped vault GCA in membership etc.  It also resulted in a Golfweek article that had several poignant things to say about Yale and some of the restorative/renovation work. There are numerous threads about this in the bowels of GCA.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
Noel, Thank you for reminding me that my first (and, so far, only) outing at Yale was in the company of the said Dr Childs. He was most hospitable and very forgiving of my lamentable play. Wonderful course!

Peter Le

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 03:19:19 AM »
If you're out this way again, let's get out there for a round on a great course!
PL

Peter (and other Yale members),

I think I am playing with Jon S in the Saturday morning tournament. Tom Dunne, Tim Martin or any others, please check in if you play.

Thanks

Mike - Wish I could be there with you guys tomorrow but I'm in Colorado with family (though I was able to play a round at the Air Force Academy Blue course). I expect a top 3 finish from you guys this weekend.
PL

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
I forgot that I had not played Yale since Sandy hit the Connecticut coast last fall and more and more trees are coming down at Yale, partially due to Sandy. It was not a harsh winter, but compared to last year, we are 2-3 weeks behind in grass growing season. Scott continues to widen the course with tree clearing and green expansion.

Played yesterday with two gentleman in their late 60's, and a younger new member.  All of us walked. The one gentleman just had two stents put in in his heart in the last two months, and he had to have an adjustment this past week on one of them by his doctor. Other than getting a ride up to the fairway on #10 from Ray the Starter, he walked the entire day without a word of complaint.

It is a great course, but for me, the place and the people are better. The eclectic clubhouse, the diversity of the members and guest, and the compelling design make it the perfect "home" course for me. On a daily basis, the place pulls in members/golfers from Rhode Island to Westchester, NY and Hartford, CT. Then there are the long distance visitors who are visiting Yale University or just want to play the historic golf course of Yale. The atmosphere is unique to Southern New England, somewhat European in nature. Later in the season maybe we can pick a date on the calendar to get a bunch of us together on a Sunday afternoon.

In the busyness of day to day life, I really appreciate the place, the course, and the people of "The Course at Yale".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back