News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Would you recommend Bandon Dunes?
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »
Jud:

This is a friend of my brother, but not someone I have ever met or even talked to. From what my brother told me, meeting men really isn't her objective. Getting away from work, playing golf and visiting Scotland are really what this is about.

I thought of Bandon as possible alternative to Scotland (or Ireland). Chris Johnston also reached out to me and suggested Dismal River.

Still haven't made up my mind on the best advice to give, though I do tend to favor settling in at one location rather than running around to see many courses as many Americans tend to do on their first visit.
Tim Weiman

Michael Essig

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »
Still haven't made up my mind on the best advice to give, though I do tend to favor settling in at one location rather than running around to see many courses as many Americans tend to do on their first visit.

My advice to her would be to plant myself in a B&B near St. Andrews for the week, and all the golf you could ever want or need is within one hour of that location: St. Andrews courses plus Kingsbarns, Crail, Leven, Elie, Lundin, Scotscraig and Carnoustie.  Does a golfer need anything more?  And I am sure the locals on this website have chimed in many times about lesser known local gems.  Honestly, you can't go wrong advising her to play those courses.  If she is a 36 a day person, she has plenty to choose from.  If she wants to sightsee a little, there is enough around her to keep her interest.  If she wants to move and have a little more to do, go stay in Edinburgh and play Gullane, North Berwick and Muirfield - all only about 20 minutes or so outside Edinburgh.  I don't think you can go wrong with that kind of advice.  Ultimately, all you can do is give her the information and let her choose for herself.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »
Michael,

You have stated what I believe to be the "base case", especially given the apparent preference for Scotland.
Tim Weiman

Paul Gray

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »
Bit of a glaring omission - what time of year?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:27 PM »
Paul,

Good question. This person is thinking either summer or even something real quick and going in May.

Some of my favorite trips to Ballybunion were in December and January, but that isn't for everyone!
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back