News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: Mysterious golf courses
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »
I think that most fishermen use Fish spotting technology. I wonder if they think it is less sporting?

I've asked many a fisherman about what they prefer, the sport, or the game. Golf is not alone in it's loss of true sportsmen.

Mac, It's a large assumption this thread never had any responses. They were likely culled.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:35:09 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chris Hans

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »
Does Morefar Golf Club in Danbury, CT count?

Josh Tarble

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2014, 12:41:23 PM »
Not sure how this thread got pulled from the depths of the archives, but glad it did.

When I think of mysterious golf courses, I don't necessarily think of a ton of blind shots.  Like the old saying, it's only blind (mysterious) once.  After one play you have unlocked the secret.

When I think of mysterious courses, I think of places like Augusta, where everything breaks toward Rae's Creek.  I think of Rustic Canyon where all things run down the canyon.  I don't remember the specific hole, but in Tom Doak's "Anatomy of a Golf Course" he lays out a scenario where the ideal line is closer and closer to a bunker...then the player resetting because they don't want to hit it in the bunker.  To me that is mysterious and why certain places make ideal members clubs.  It takes multiple plays to unlock.  Places where rangefinders make no difference, because they don't hit the shots. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »
And while my range finder allowed me to confidently select a club and I hit is really well, I pulled it slightly and was two yards past pin high in the middle of the green. Since the pin was on the right below the drop off to the back tier, I was essentially dead. I was even with the sharp slope and had to lag across the ridge, knowing the best I could do would be 20 feet under the hole. So TD got even with my rangefinder. :)

You hit a perfect putt as did Powell from pin high on the left side of the green. Don't  know how either of you could get it closer from those spots.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back