News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Mallard

Re: Private to Public - What's the precedent?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
One of the more interesting and historically significant courses that still exists under this meme is the A. W. Tillinghast designed Belmont Golf Course, site of the 1949 PGA Championship won by Sam Snead 3 & 2 over Johnny Palmer when it was the Hermitage Country Club.

The course has undergone some further alterations from roadway encroachment, and most notably from reconstruction due to the ravages of Tropical Storm Gaston in 2004. I think I heard that they did 57,000 rounds per year circa 2003, but I can dig further if anyone is interested. Here's a link to the club's history.

http://www.hermitagecountryclub.com/files/HCC_history.pdf

Stewart Abramson

Re: Private to Public - What's the precedent?
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
Fairview Country Club had a 1912 Donald Ross Course in the Fairview area of Elmsford/Greenburgh in Westchester County, NY. The club sold the land to Union Carbide in the mid 1960's and it shortly thereafter  became an commercial/office/research complex. The club moved to a new location in Greenwich CT, near the Westchester County airport. In the mid/late 1960's, before all of the old club site had been developed, Union Carbide let the boy scouts hold their annual Camporees on a portion of the site of the Ross course. I remember pitching tents on tree lined  corridors that a few years earlier had  been fairways.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back