News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Golf Week New York Rankings for Courses You Can Play
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
Jeff, I think it was safety for the houses on left.

Grossingers is still open, as is Monster. I played Monster from Monster tees and it wasn't golf. Can't understand that much water on a golf course.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Gene Greco

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
     Bethpage Green is never included among 'the best' and for that matter is never really spoken about on this website.

Is it because most on here haven't played it and just gravitate towards the Black when given the chance to play at this 5 course complex? Or jump to the Red when they have had enough of the Black?

The Green has plenty of overall interest and some quirk, a nice routing and easy flow, a good number of greens with greater movement than anything you will find on the Red or the Black, a nice variety of par 3s, some short par 4s with greens that have cool angulations and shapes, etc.

I would think it it probably the course at Bethpage that would have the most appeal to the greatest number of golfers,  save the expert player.

In addition, it is the oldest course among those at the Bethpage complex, as the former Lenox Hill CC, and was designed by Devereux Emmet.

What do any of you see as deficient with this golf course?
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
Gene,

Good point about the Green-I was wondering if the New Yorkers would suggest another color. I've only played it once but thought it had some really good holes but maybe a few more blah holes than its two more famous siblings. Definitely agree with you about the Green greens.

I just haven't played enough of the other NY courses to say whether it would/should be considered for top 15 status. I know I wouldn't put it ahead of Leatherstocking-one of the few that I have played (and adore) though.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
I will do a tour of the green in the next few weeks. I liked it a lot. It was the last crayon in the Lynch-Montesano tour of aught-ten.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »
steve - what have they changed about 6 at tall grass? i remember that was an uphill short par 4 where if you poke it and carry the trap down the left side, you can get the green?

what changed?

As others have mentioned, they have moved the tees up because houses to the left were getting hit.  The houses are not visible for the tee and are pretty well protected by trees.  I am surprised that they even got hit.  It takes one heck of a bad shot to hit one of those homes and the average miss for fellow ams is a slice, not a well hit duck hook.  I assume only lefties would have hit these homes.

Anyway, what used to be a real interesting par 4 and an "easy" hole if you chose to play it conservatively, is now a long uphill par 3 (though it is still listed as a 4 on the scorecard) played from a makeshift tee box.  Some may argue that par is just a number but I disagree.  This hole used to make you think and if you aren't "bubba long" it would hake a very heroic shot to carry the bunker on the left and reach the green.  A very thrilling shot.  Conversely, you could play a number of clubs up the center/right hand side and hope to get on the green that way, or layup to a comfortable position - all while taking into account the bunker looming on the right.  Now, instead of being presented with all these options, you just grab a long iron and aim for the green.  Not as much fun.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
Steve...

I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on Tallgrass. 

I've only played it once, but I thought the design was great.  I thought the designer got the most out the small piece of land he had to work with.  I thought the bunkering was great...great placement which required lots of thought and planning prior to hitting your shots.  The big negative was that the course screamed for the ground game, but the course wasn't maintained fast or firm...so ground shots weren't a real option.

BRoss...on 18, the guy I played with, Wade S. From this very site, wanted to play up 1 fairway...but a group was teeing off on 1 and we had a group kind of close to us on 17...so we couldn't wait for 1 to clear. Looks like his idea might have been the right one.  Funny!

Mac, I agree that Hanse probably did get the most out of that land.  If you look at the surrounding land as you drive in, it is surprising how the course turned out.  I am not arguing that point, nor am I saying it's a bad course, but they advertise themselves as being the #2 public course on Long Island and I could easily name 5 that are better than it, if not 10.

As you said, the course isn't firm and somebody else asked the same question.  It usually plays slow and always seems to be soggy even if it hasn't rained for a few days.

Also, I agree with the comment that the course isn't that hard.  I'm not saying a course needs to be hard to be great but I've had rounds there where I didn't bring my A game (or B game) and still walked away with a good score.  Yes, this makes it more enjoyable is some aspects, but I don't walk away feeling accomplished when I post a good number there unless of course it's a really low round and I know that I was playing lights out.

All that being said, I play in 2 outings there per year and I enjoy it more and more each time.  It doesn't change my overall view of where it belongs on the rankings but I think it's great for outings for the following reasons.  First off, it is not that long nor difficult so guys you only play a few times a year in a scramble format and like to have a good time out there aren't overwhelmed by the course.  There is a good amount of risk and reward (especially of number 6 is played as a par 4) and playing strategically as a team of four is always fun.  Along with that, there are plenty of birdie opportunities out there and there is a good stretch of finishing holes.

Like I said, I think it's overrated but still very good.  I do like playing there, and love that their greens fees are very reasonable for LI standards.  It's a bit out there from Manhattan but is still worth the drive every once in a while, especially to get away from the crowds at Bethpage and other Nassau County courses.  If anyone is looking for a game there PM me and we'll meet up.  Hopefully they sort out the issue with the 6th hole this year!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:45:56 PM by SteveOgulukian »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  Good insights.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Gene Greco

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »
I will do a tour of the green in the next few weeks. I liked it a lot. It was the last crayon in the Lynch-Montesano tour of aught-ten.

Ron, Chris

Thanks for your responses.

I think the Green is the most enjoyable golf course to play at the Bethpage complex. I think it would be greatly appreciated by the 10-20 hndcp GCAer.

But it's likely not top 15. Maybe I should have posted this on another thread.

I was just curious as to why it is rarely mentioned.

Gene

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

corey miller

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »
steve - what have they changed about 6 at tall grass? i remember that was an uphill short par 4 where if you poke it and carry the trap down the left side, you can get the green?

what changed?

As others have mentioned, they have moved the tees up because houses to the left were getting hit.  The houses are not visible for the tee and are pretty well protected by trees.  I am surprised that they even got hit.  It takes one heck of a bad shot to hit one of those homes and the average miss for fellow ams is a slice, not a well hit duck hook.  I assume only lefties would have hit these homes.

Just because they changed the hole to "protect" houses along the left does not mean the houses were ever getting plunked.  I suppose a ball every once and a while could end up in the yard but the houses themselves are pretty far removed from the lone of play.

The reason I am skeptical is the because they have a fifty foot fence/net behind the par 3 fourth which plays directly at the same out of bounds line and most likely has a house also.  There is no way in the world a person playing an appropriate club on this 170 yard hole could possible clear the added fence.  This "safety" measure was put up by someone who had no clue about the game, I would not be surprised if the net along #6 was the result of the same thought process.

B.Ross

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
all quite interesting regarding the 6th at tall grass. sounds like the ruined the hole, for sure.

as for the state of NY - spook rock should def be in the list. quietly a very good golf course.

i know this isn't how golf week does it but itd be interesting to split NY into to lists: NYC metro (but NY state only) and the rest of the state. yes i understand and now that buffalo and albany aren't exactly a PW from 1 another but regardless, id love to see it like this.

put it this way, as a native NYCer, the courses uptoward saratoga and the resorts are ones i'd only play on a vacation where as union vale spook rock the downs long island national are ones where i'd make the drive for the day.

last thought and only tangentially related: IMO the best of the NYC courses is far and away, split rock in the bronx. at 1 time it was the course of the NYAC (before winged foot) and w/ decent conditions and a slight touchover, you'd see the original hole quality in so many of the holes. so few non descript holes for a public course. and it can challenge you too... off top of my head: 2, 3, 5,6, 7 and 8 are all interesting holes, and so are i'd say 11,13,14,16,17 and 18... 1,9,10 and 15 are par 4s that r a bit non descript and then 4 & 12 are simple par 3's. if 4 was the length of 12, itd be a very good hole however.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »

last thought and only tangentially related: IMO the best of the NYC courses is far and away, split rock in the bronx. at 1 time it was the course of the NYAC (before winged foot) and w/ decent conditions and a slight touchover, you'd see the original hole quality in so many of the holes. so few non descript holes for a public course. and it can challenge you too... off top of my head: 2, 3, 5,6, 7 and 8 are all interesting holes, and so are i'd say 11,13,14,16,17 and 18... 1,9,10 and 15 are par 4s that r a bit non descript and then 4 & 12 are simple par 3's. if 4 was the length of 12, itd be a very good hole however.

BRoss,

It was my understanding that Pelham Bay was built around 1900 and Split Rock was in the 30's after WF. I could be wrong on that. While the NYAC's Travers Island is close by, I don't know of any official affiliation between the NYAC and Pelham/SplitRock.

Nyackers has always been the golf club without real estate of the NYAC.

WF has never been part of the NYAC. The original WF founders were NYAC members, thus the similar logos, but the board at the NYAC said no to WF, so they have always been separate clubs with separate memberships.

Cheers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back