News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Re: Par-6s?
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
Union City County Club - Ohio

Hole #1 - 700 yards if I remember correctly

It was LONG - and the green was protected by some trees

Cannot find the scorecard or any pictures online

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:50 PM »
I've played that hole at Farmstead, and it just convinced me that it really takes some thinking to make a par 6 interesting all the way through. It kind of felt like mindless bashing until deciding on a layup over the water.  Maybe it is more interesting for players with different distance ranges than myself, but that just shows it would be pretty tough to make a par 6 with interest all the way through for everyone.  I do think it could be done though, especially if it works in the ground.   
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 10:40:03 PM »
For me, probably the ultimate for a par-6 hole would be a hole with a really undulating fairway, so that you might have to hit the second and third shots off tough stances if you didn't place your ball ... that would test how confident players were with hitting a fairway wood for distance and control.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 06:09:57 AM »
I can't think of any par-6's I've played but.......I have played cross-country golf a few times.

For example, I know a lot of you have played Cruden Bay. Well one summer evening many, many years ago some of us of then youngster-ish age reached the 13th tee but realised we weren't going to be able to finish all 18-holes before it got dark, so......we all teed off on the 13th and then didn't putt out until the 17th green - we couldn't have to got to the 18th green as it was pretty much pitch black by then. If we played onto the wrong green or tee we moved the ball to the side, otherwise it was play it as it lies, which made course management and strategy important. Fortunately there was one of those rare occasions when there was no in front of us and no one else around generally, otherwise it would have been a bit irresponsible I guess, but then again....!

I reckon TOC at St Andrews would be a good location for cross-country golf tournament - only 2 holes - tee-off from the 1st, putt out on say the 11th, tee-up on 12 and putt out on 18. Now, does anyone happen to have Mr Dawson's 'phone number - only joking Peter!

All the best

Tom_Doak

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »
I reckon TOC at St Andrews would be a good location for cross-country golf tournament - only 2 holes - tee-off from the 1st, putt out on say the 11th, tee-up on 12 and putt out on 18. Now, does anyone happen to have Mr Dawson's 'phone number - only joking Peter!

That would be a great idea.  You could make it four holes, though ... play from #11 back to #9 green, and from there on to #7 green and then back in from #12.  Or, you could just play to #16 green from 12, and then play to #18 from 17 tee.  [The Swilcan Burn would be a good cross hazard for the second shot on that hole.]

Can't help you with Mr. Dawson's phone number, though.  I think I'm blocked on his phone. ;)

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »
http://www.standrews2000golf.com/index.php/layout/layout-std/score-card-std

St. Andrews 2000 Golf Club in Thailand (what a name!) has 2 par 6's. I have not played them, but heard about them from my uncle who really enjoyed the course.

At 910 yards it appears that the second one is a true 4 shot hole.

Alex
Actually now renamed St. Andrews Hill.

Played it lots of times, and did a post on it, in 2004, unfortunately the links to the pics no longer work.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7536.0.html

billb

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
The 9th hole at The Links Golf Club in Post Falls, Idaho is 777 from the back tees. When I played it in 2002 the scorecard said par 6. The scorecard on the website (http://www.golfthelinks.net/scorecard.htm) says par 5. However, the hole description calls it a "A "Monster"par-6".
I was not playing the back tees, but pulled out a second ball and played from the backs. Driver, 3 wood, 6 iron, wedge, 2 putt, routine "par".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back