News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

Has anyone played in this event?
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »
All -- I don't come here near often enough anymore and more golf and more GCA is on my list of New Year's resolutions. At any rate, my brother received this e-mail last week and wanted to see if I would reach out to the group to see if the $$ commitment to this event was worth it and if any had played in and had feedback. Any help is appreciated and if this thread is not appropriate or needs deleted that is understood.

________

Your name has been provided to our event as a top mid-amateur player in Kansas.  We are presently considering adding Kansas as a team to this year’s event, and are contacting a number of players to determine if they would be interested in participating in this year’s event.  Illinois and North Dakota will be attending this year’s event, and we are hoping to add two additional teams. You can read about the event at www.midwestcup.org, and I’ve attached last year’s program to this e-mail.   

The 2013 event will be held from Friday, August 2 through Sunday, August 4, with a skins game/ team event/practice round and pizza event on the evening on Thursday, August 1. ( For those who play in The Kansas City Heart of America event, it is being held the following week, and will not cause a conflict). The 2013 event will be held at Wild Horse Golf Club in Gothenburg, Nebraska with assistance from the Nebraska Golf Association.  Wild Horse is the #10 rated course in the United States in Golf Digest’s “Best Value in Golf List”, and the #1 or #2 rated course in Nebraska (depending on the list used).  This is also the site of the 2013 Director’s Tri-State Event.  The rotation will begin again in 2014, and Iowa has already procured the site for the 2014 event to be announced at Saturday’s dinner.

The event is an interstate competition overseen by a 501(c)3 charity corporation.  The primary goal of the corporation is to enhance and promote amateur golf by hosting an amateur interstate competition, with all proceeds from the event going to golf charities.  The event started in 2006 and grew from two teams in it’s first four years to four teams it’s last three years, and we are committed to having an 8 team tournament in the year 2014.  We intend to be recognized as the premier mid-amateur tournament in the Midwest in order to increase our ability to raise dollars for charity.  This event will also provide a larger number of Midwest Amateur Golfers with an opportunity to participate in a team and individual tournament with the highest level of competition available at the greatest courses in the Midwest.  Recent courses include Erin Hills (WI), Glen Oaks (IA), Rich Harvest Farms (IL), and Hastings CC (MN).

The players are selected based on the player of the year list.  The cost per player is $300.  The event is absolutely first class, and the fee includes golf carts, dinner Thursday, Friday and Saturday, lunch Saturday and Sunday, team uniforms (2 shirts and hat), and additional gifts symbolic of the championship.  Last year’s winning team members each received a pair of Foot-Joy My-Joy’s shoes valued in excess of $300.  Rooms at the Comfort Suite Inn have been reserved at a special rate for the players.
¬¬
We are anxious to finalize the teams for this year’s event, as we are now making final plans for the event.  Golfweek has committed to coverage of this year’s event, and we are in the process of obtaining sponsorships from the major golf companies in the country before their 2013 budgets are completed.  Golf and dinner arrangements are being finalized, and corporate sponsorship materials are being prepared.  Culver’s marketing team and ad agency have committed significant time and dollars to this year’s event, and an updated website, Facebook page, and related materials are being prepared.  The North/South Amateur has granted our champion an exemption into their event.   Last year our champion qualified for match play, and was also accepted into the Dixie Amateur.   Our recognition as a major event is growing. 

Ronald Montesano

Re: Has anyone played in this event?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
Look at the players under the "Players" tab and see if any of them are legitimate competitors. Message them on FB and ask them their thoughts on the event. It's at Wild Horse, which is awesome.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim_Kennedy

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
Culver's drive-in franchised restaurants is apparently a sponsor.  They have been expanding along I-80 in NE, and maybe have a North Platte site in the works.  I once looked into the possibility of a applying for a franchise there some 10 or more years ago.  If I'm not mistaken, one or both Culver owners is a member of Sand Hills, maybe other private prairie courses.  So, Gothenburg is a good site for them to get behind, IMHO. 

There is another motel built in G-burg now, and enough rooms and eateries in both Cozad and North Platte, or even Kearney (45-50 mins away) to easily support this event. 

I think it would be fun to go out there to watch.  Josh the Super can prep that course to a challenge all these guys would struggle to handle.  I see on Jim's link that Stricker and Johnson had put their support behind this.  Now, what would definitely be an advanced class study would be if they'd make celebrity pro appearances to play WH.  I would pay to see those legendary great putters take on WH greens, prepped firm and fast by Josh.  Wow what a treat that would be!  :o ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
$300 sounds very reasonable to me.  The retail value for just the golf is over $200. Throw in the meals and gifts and it sounds very fair.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
The Iowa and Minnesota players from last year are generally people I would expect to participate. I have never heard of the event but it looks legitimate.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back