News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cameron DeVries

Desmond Muirhead
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:56:50 PM »
"In order to grow your audience, you must betray their expectations."  -Hayao Miyazaki, acclaimed Japanese film director and writer

I read this and immediately thought of Desmond Muirhead, the iconoclastic designer who collaborated with Nicklaus to create wonderful layouts at Muirfield Village and Mayacoo Lakes - as well as other good tournament venues apart from Nicklaus like Dinah Shore, Soboba Springs, and Big Canyon CC (all in California).  Whenever I hear Muirhead my first thought is a "mermaid" or "dragon" hole; I remember vivid photographs from golf magazines and coffee table books depicting controversial and symbolic golf holes that look as if they were designed to be played from a blimp (where you can see the artistry) rather than from level ground.  Without knowing much about Muirhead's background and career, I was initially blown away by his boldness in implementing many of these "fantastical" hole designs after building many more traditional courses.  However, as I've collected more information on Desmond Muirhead and the trajectory of his career in golf course design (as well as his career before course design), I have more respect and admiration for an architect who truly broke the mold in what he produced.  

Did he intentionally betray people's expectations in order to grow his audience?  IMO Probably not.  But did he betray people's expectations anyway?  Yeah, he did.  

What I recently learned that many on this site already know is that Muirhead began his early career in Land planning and Architecture, and it wasn't until his mid to late 40s that he designed his first golf course.  When he did, his first designs were good but not especially dramatic; examples being Soboba Springs and a partial re-design of the North Course at Chuck Corica, both in 1967.  However, two years later (1969) at Avila Beach, he collaborated with Olin Dutra to produce an engaging and fun resort golf course with some wild moments.  [Avila is a personal favorite of mine with its quirky mix of strategic ocean, canyon, and river holes.]  The solid Dinah Shore (Kraft Nabisco host) was opened a year later (1970), followed by the difficult tournament venue Big Canyon in 1971 (where Tiger shot his famous 61-65 in the 1996 Pac-10 Championship).  The early 70's brought his collaboration with Jack Nicklaus, which included a fine course at Mayacoo Lakes (1973) and a great course IMO at Muirfield Village (1974).  However, shortly thereafter (and in his 50s) Muirhead left for Australia it seems and turned his focus back to land planning and community development projects.  It wasn't until he was in his 60s that he returned to golf course design and began to make his bold, symbolic, often wacky architectural statements.  His 1980's courses were not only imaginative and engaging like his previous efforts - they were otherworldly, often 'camp', and sometimes ridiculous (especially in the eyes of some noted architects of the time).  These architectural statements include the "mermaid hole" I referenced above at Aberdeen (1987), and elements of Greek mythology at Stone Harbor (1988).  His career was remarkably varied and successful.  Personally, I resonate with his shift in ideals that may have taken place from the 1970s to 80s and spurred more creativity and originality.  He seemed to put the overall golf experience of the player (assuming the player appreciates symbolism and mermaid shaped golf holes) ahead of the traditional architectural principles.  In doing so, he likely found a new audience with beginners and non-golfers who admired his beautiful golf holes.  But did he go too far?  

Did his time away from the game change his outlook on life and bring about a drastic change in his styles later on?
OR was Muirhead always an iconoclastic designer brimming with original and wild ideas?  Did his collaboration with Jack Nicklaus in the 1970's temper his originality in favor of more traditional course design that he picked back up when he was free to experiment later on?

What is something you like about Muirhead's work?  What is something you dislike?

I was moved by an article i read by Forrest Richardson where he shared his experiences as a young man encouraged by a wise and caring Muirhead, who by all accounts had an engaging and warm personality.  His philosophies toward life and course design meshed to create some very special work.  It sounds like there truly was only one Desmond Muirhead...

Do you think is it a good thing when such a prolific and generally well-received architect drastically alters his style later in his career?  OR Is it a GREAT thing and why (e.g. did Muirhead's work bring more acceptance of wild course features)?  Does it change his credibility in the eyes of future generations for the better or worse?  Could any other designers even get away with what Muirhead did in the 80's?

What are other examples of course architects who vary their styles significantly over time and in doing so broaden their audience/fanbase?

Or What have you done differently over the years in your work that might be perceived as betraying certain expectations from fans, colleagues, or players??

Should we all have a little bit of Muirhead in us (i.e. adapting and changing our artistic styles and preferences as we grow at the risk of alienating others)?   It certainly happens a lot in the music business.

[As a sidenote, I can only think of two golf courses I've played that resemble a 1980's Muirhead design and those courses are both in Napa, CA at Chardonnay Golf Club (36 holes: Shakespeare 18 and Vineyard 18), designed by Algie Pulley & Sandy Tatum.  Sadly, the 36 hole complex no longer exists in its entirety and many of the most stunning and odd holes were destroyed, I assume due to economic woes - but many are still there @ Chardonnay GC and some were combined with new holes to create Eagle Vines GC]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:45:26 PM by Cameron DeVries »
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their mind cannot change anything."  -George Bernard Shaw

Mac Plumart

Re: Desmond Muirhead
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
I've never played a Muirhead course, so I can't comment on his work.

He seems to have been an eccentric designer pushing away from many of the norms.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
Mac, Why and when he got away from norms is germane. I'm under the impression that after the Muirfield meltdown, is when he got eccentrically creative. Heck the one DM course I played started with what once was a double plateau.

Cameron, In gca I think its important to not be so predictable. Unless you're looking to sell out to the masses and/or the lowest common denominator. Of course if your rep is to betray, even that is predictable.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »
Could it be that by "betray" he meant "surpass"?

Many designers recognize that they have a responsibility to take a client (audience) to places and outcomes where they can't take themselves. If a designer is just regurgitating what someone says they want - they probably aren't giving them enough.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:46:16 PM »
Living in the Coachella Valley I have been able to play quite a bit of Desmond Muirhead golf courses.  I have played Mission Hills Dinah Shore, The Springs, Ironwood South, and Desert Island.  I have also heard very good things about Soboba Springs, and especially of NLE Quail Ranch in Moreno Valley, which I guess was a very fun golf course. 

On the courses that I didn't like so much, really the Springs is the only one that didn't sit too well with me because the routing is all disjointed and the course just isn't that good.

FOR THE ONES I LIKE, I really enjoy Dinah Shore, if you ask all the golf pros in the desert, they will always say the Dinah Shore is one of their favorites, just a great tournament style course that is tree lined.  The prototypical pro style course, tight tree lined fairways with quick greens, Ironwood South is another is very well liked here in the valley, also another one of my favorites. 

I always tell all my friends that when I retire back to the Coachella Valley when I get old 40 years from now, the place I am going to get a golf membership at is Desert Island.  Desert Island is a tight compact routing probably on less than 120 acres with a big lake in the middle.  The course has tons of strategy off the tee, fairways bunkers always in the landing zones, the greens are very undulating with a smooth quick roll.  The eucalyptus trees are beautiful, and almost gives you that Australia feeling.  The course is also perfect for walking with all the tees right next to the greens. 

Though Desmond Muirhead gets a bad rap on this website, his courses are pretty fun with a lot of strategy, isn't that what we want in a designer?  The look of his courses might not be so appealing to the eye, but they are full of enjoyment. 

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:17 AM »
Cameron,

You say "However, shortly thereafter (and in his 50s) Muirhead left for Australia it seems and turned his focus back to land planning and community development projects.  It wasn't until he was in his 60s that he returned to golf course design and began to make his bold, symbolic, often wacky architectural statements."

I believe Kooralbyn in south east Queensland was built during Muirhead's sojourn in Australia. I played it a couple of times but knew nothing of its pedigree. However it got a good rap in these here parts but sadly no longer exists. I remember enjoying it, thinking it was hard but not recognising anything so out of whack other than a very dramatic dropshot par 3.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:18:14 AM »
Oh, yes and lots of deadly snakes!!
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Cameron DeVries

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
Adam,  I agree that when & why his change in style occurred is important to the discussion.  I also think that he had some kind of paradigm shift maybe after his work with Nicklaus - but why I can't answer.  He always seemed to have flare though, even in his early work.

Yeah, it seems the best designers and artists in any field do well to adapt their styles to their personal discoveries/growth, etc. as life is a constantly evolving thing and we are always exposed to different ideas & many ways to solve various problems or challenges.  But I can also see the other side (i.e. if it's not broke, don't fix it) if a designer has a consistent style and it is functional/playable.

Steve,  yeah that's entirely possible.  When you look at the question that way it does make sense - they expect it to be good and it ends up betraying the standard to be great.  I'm usually drawn to golf courses that have striking/memorable strategic golf shots that are beyond what I initially expected when I got out there AND features that I never would have thought of myself. 
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their mind cannot change anything."  -George Bernard Shaw

Cameron DeVries

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
Peter,  For me golf is primarily about enjoyment although strategy and challenge are important.  Muirhead's courses seem to be very enjoyable overall and most importantly unique, and I think he gets a lot of undeserved grief.  I have played about 20-30 courses in the Coachella Valley but not Desert Island.  It sounds fun and well-designed.  From looking at the aerial map of the course on Google Earth the routing seems pretty ingenious for a small site.  I noticed a bold forced carry to an island fairway @ the 9th hole!  Also, it has striking similarities to the routing at East Lake: 1) lake in the middle of the property with front nine on left (west) and back nine on right (east)       2) clubhouse location the same     3) front nine finishes w lake on the right and back nine finishes with lake on the left.     4) 1st hole starts in northwest portion of property & goes west, then course makes a counter-clockwise loop... 10th hole starts in northeast portion and goes east, then makes a clockwise loop.    The biggest difference I can see is that East Lake's holes are routed pretty much east to west while Desert Island is routed mostly north to south.  Desert Island also seems to be located in a really prime spot in Rancho Mirage relative to other courses in the area.  It is in close proximity (a few blocks) to Tamarisk, Dinah Shore, Desert Willow, and others.  I'm always surprised at how much variety there is in Palm Springs & surrounding areas - many diff. types of golf for an area that is often flat and nondescript.   I have also heard a lot of good things about Ironwood I know they play Local US Open Qualifying there every year.

Colin,    The part about Desmond Muirhead quitting course design and going to Australia was something I read in a newspaper article published shortly after his passing.  Obviously it was mis-information.  It sounds like Kooralbyn was a good course too bad it's extinct now although it might've been hard to stay focused without worrying about the snakes!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back