News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

I believe the finals of the Crump Cup, open for public viewing, will be Sunday, September 30th this year. Gates typically open at 1 PM.

Last year some golf the day before was generously, capably, and graciously hosted by Powell Arms at Philly Cricket.

This year I'm thinking of seeing if Archie Struthers wouldn't mind facilitating a gathering at Twisted Dune on the afternoon before.

Archie?  Your thoughts!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:54:40 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Doug Braunsdorf

Re: Crump Cup 2012 at PV: Sun Sept 30
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »
TD is public, why don't we just show up and play?

I'd have folks to GB, as an alternative, but I get to vet who comes ;)   There is a 2 day tournament that day that coincides with the Ryder Cup, so it may not be available all day. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:23:31 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Archie has mentioned twice in the last few months about a more formal gathering at Twisted Dune so that is was I posted what I did.

I'm fully aware that Twisted Dune is public.   ;) ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:55:09 AM by Joe Bausch »

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »
 To hear Archie's thinking behind TD would be priceless. To compare those thoughts to a walk around his beloved PVGC would be sensational.
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
To hear Archie's thinking behind TD would be priceless. To compare those thoughts to a walk around his beloved PVGC would be sensational.

+1

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:34 PM »
Joe,

Are you sure of the date ?

The USGA SR AM is that weekend

JSlonis

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Pat,

That is the correct date.

J

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:27:41 AM »
 ;D >:( >:(

I'm good with a late day outing at Twisted Dune , particularly if it's later in the day on Saturday.  Pace of play will be better  if we wait til the Saturday play subsides . 

I'll check with pro \ GM Scott Dunn to see about availability and price in the next couple days and report back.

Thanks Joe.et al.

mike_malone

I just checked and I'm doing my Quaker thing at a 4pm wedding on 9/29
AKA Mayday

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Newton

Is anybody planning to attend on Sunday?

archie_struthers

:'( ;D

Sorry for not getting the Twisted Dune outing on line . Had some health issues with my  dad . He is doing ok now , thank God.

Hope everyone enjoys the Crump tomorrow, if I can slip away may sneak up and walk around a bit.  New course record in qualifying from back tees. 64.  Course was a little soft due to rain , but wow, what a score .

Sorry again for being  out of the loop , will get a rain check to all shortly.

p.s.     former champ Carlton Forrester made a spectacular up and down four off the clubhouse roof  on the fourth hole. Got video , have to learn how to post same

Patrick_Mucci

Archie,

I'd like to see that video.

In these litigious times I'm shocked that any club would let anyone climb on their roof, with or without soft spikes.

That's one hell of an up and down

David_Tepper

Are the medal play scores from the Crump Cup available anywhere online?

Well, to answer my own question, check this out:

http://www.amateurgolf.com/8764-GolfNews-Crump-Cup-Mike-McCoy-wows-field

Mike McCoy shot 64-65 to be the medalist by 13 shots!

P.S. While I am sure Mike McCoy is a wonderful golfer, I trust his performance answers the question of what the top professionals would shoot at Pine Valley! ;) 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:19:14 PM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

Will Lozier

Archie,

I'd like to see that video.

In these litigious times I'm shocked that any club would let anyone climb on their roof, with or without soft spikes.

That's one hell of an up and down

Isn't that technically a down-and-in?! :D

David_Tepper

David_Tepper

All the scores from the medal play qualifying rounds are at the bottom of this article:

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=11994&pid=20

archie_struthers

;D ??? ;)

To David's analysis of Mike McCoy's great play vs what the tour stars would shoot.

.  Scoring was low throughout,  course was benign due to all the recent rain and humidity. Mike McCoy probably plays Pine Valley better than anyone, he knows it so intimately. Mike McDermott, the eventual match play winner, is a local Philly standout who also has great home course knowledge. McCoy had a tough day yesterday , which doesn't lessen his great achievement in shooting 64-65. It does show the golf course still has teeth.

It remains a fabulous venue, a great architectural feat that can be softened or toughened up based on set-up and maintenance meld. For this very reason it is fabulously fun to play for anyone that has talent , you can make pars and birdies.  How ever, its pretty hard to play it more than one round without a faux paux . Jay Sigel played a lot of tournament golf here right before he hit the Senior Tour , and I believe his low 36 hole score tournament score (medal) was 138.  If David, you are saying it's a pushover for the big boys, I'd tend to disagree.

David_Tepper

"If David, you are saying it's a pushover for the big boys, I'd tend to disagree."

Archie S. -

I have never set foot on the PV property, so I am strictly making observations based on numbers on a page in black & white. I doubt PV is a pushover for anyone.

Granted, Mike McCoy and Jay Segal have a deep pool of local knowledge regarding PV. But they are (or were) amateur golfers in their 40's. Can you point to any occasion where amateur golfers in their 40's have even been remotely competitive with the best professionals in the prime of their careers? How many US Mid-Am champs have even sniffed making the cut at the Masters?      

If the 24 members of the Ryder Cup teams had spent this weekend at PV, playing the course with a couple of practice rounds under their belt and under the same conditions as Mike McCoy, what kind of scores do you think they would have shot?

DT
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:58:20 PM by David_Tepper »

archie_struthers

8) ;) ;D

David , I'm thinking McCoy caught lightning in a bottle .  Certainly the best pros in the world would shoot low scores if it wasn't firm and fast . I did caddy for both Ben Crenshaw and Tom Watson  more than a couple times when they were in their prime and 66 was the lowest I ever saw, even from the shorter tees with no pressure . Of course, they were just there enjoying themselves with friends .

So maybe McCoy's score was an aberration .

I do know if its fast and firm it's very , very difficult to shoot a low medal score. If the pins are set in tough spots it's doubly hard.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:59:49 AM by archie_struthers »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back