News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Firerock or Sunridge Canyon in Fountain Hills?
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »
I realize Firerock (Gary Panks) is private and Sunridge (Keith Foster) is daily fee, but how would you guys rate the courses, relative to each other? Sunridge Canyon received a Doak 6 (1996).
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

BHoover

Re: Firerock or Sunridge Canyon in Fountain Hills?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
I have only played Sunridge Canyon, but I enjoyed it each time I did play it.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
I have only played Sunridge Canyon, but I enjoyed it each time I did play it.

Same. SunRidge Canyon isn't a destination course and I wouldn't play it over either of the WeKoPa courses, which are quite close, but it has some nice holes.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:29:47 PM »
Played them both and Firerock was a 6-4 winner. Both are nice, I just recall Firerock having some nice par fives.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Steve Fekety

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:50:26 PM »
Neither would be on my must play list.  I have played Sun Ridge about 5 times.  Each time I say it will be my last.  But they kept having tournaments there so I had to try to improve each time.  Not a fun course.  Firerock on the other hand is fun.  There is a good mix of fun holes and course conditioning is guaranteed to be better.   I probably played Firerock 10 times in the last three years, so I give it the 2-1 nod.  I would probably rather play Firerock than the Cholla course at WeKoPa, but the Saguaro course wins hands down every time in Fountain Hills. 
Good luck.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
I have firerock landing just above Sunridge Canyon. I still contend that some of the putting greens at Firerock were accidentally built backwards as they tilt away from you on some of the longer holes for no good reason. And I am not talking about a subtle, old school fall away green.

I give Sunridge a special mention for a stellar set of par 3's, the 17th was especially fun but there are too many awkward holes and blind shots for my liking.

There are much better options in the the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, not worth playing a round at either of these unless you ran out of places to play...

John Connolly

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »
Thanks, fellas. Looks like Firestone over Sunridge by a little. I asked about these two course because I need to make some playing decisions near Fountain Hills specifically. We Ko Pa is obviously nearby but I wondered what else in this region. Your responses were helpful.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Dave August

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:01:41 PM »
I am a little late to the party, but here are my two cents.

I think the front at SunRidge Canyon is pretty vanilla - no really great holes, nothing too memorable, nice but not great. The back is interesting, although there is not a good view on the back 9 at all, as you are playing in and out of a canyon.

FireRock is much more interesting and challenging. Good holes, better views, nice mix of fun holes with tough holes. A little longer and driver is not taken out of your hands as often. Better greens complexes, usually in better shape as well.

I would favor FireRock 7-3 or 8-2.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back