News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Lozier

Sustainable Golf - Island Ballwatchers Society
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
I've mentioned the name of this course on a few threads now and no one seems to know of it's existence except me!  Come on Lads!  I KNOW that someone else has gone round this little 6-hole gem for the measly $10 (honor box) plus the small fee to take the 3-car ferry over to Chappaquidick.  It is a hoot to play, has some wonderful (and tiny) greensites, and is sustainable with a minimal amount of maintenance and the fact that one can get round in 45 minutes with, say, 5 or 6 clubs!  

Who else has been treated to this little hideaway?

Where else is there such a place?

We've talked a great deal about non regulation layouts and routings to introduce a less-time-consuming golf experience on previous threads - is there a real market for such a place?

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:07:37 PM by Will Lozier »

Brad Tufts

Re: Sustainable Golf - Island Ballwatchers Society
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »
Wow, I live in MA and I've never heard of this place.

On Google Maps it appears there are 9 holes...longest hole looks to be about 290 or so.

Edgartown GC is another 9-holer that is a more formal private club, and sits WAY below the radar.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Gerges

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »
Will,

First rule of fight club...

It must have been a few years since you have been out there.   Up to nine holes now and a little bit more formalized.  It is a special place to play and one the real hidden courses in the US.  Owned and operated by a true gentlemen as well.  It is the vineyards version of the Sheep Ranch.

Tim

Will Lozier

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »
Wow, I live in MA and I've never heard of this place.

On Google Maps it appears there are 9 holes...longest hole looks to be about 290 or so.

Edgartown GC is another 9-holer that is a more formal private club, and sits WAY below the radar.

Brad,

As Tim just mentioned, there have apparently been three new holes added!  First I've hear of this - I LOVED the idea of playing a 6-hole loop as many times as I could.  Still, looks like the additions have been in line with the ultra minimalist architecture already there - It does look like a couple of bunkers appeared in awkward places although I can't remember the numbering exactly having not played it in probably 6 years.  I think the longest hole is actually about 360 but I could be remembering it completely incorrectly. 

I have not played Edgartown but loved Mink Meadows - a 1936 Stiles design.  Please check out both of these gems - IBS is a complete throwback and will offer you a totally unique golf experience that is, in many ways, better than Highland Links on the mainland.

Cheers

Will Lozier

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »
Will,

First rule of fight club...

It must have been a few years since you have been out there.   Up to nine holes now and a little bit more formalized.  It is a special place to play and one the real hidden courses in the US.  Owned and operated by a true gentlemen as well.  It is the vineyards version of the Sheep Ranch.

Tim

I know Tim....apparently a sporting magazine wanted to write an article on IBS a couple of decades ago and nobody would talk for fear of letting out the secret!  It is a visit many on this sight should make nevertheless....if they can find it!?

Cheers

David Harshbarger

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
Island Ball Watchers Society course up for sale, $12.5M. 

http://www.mvgazette.com/article.php?46671
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »

That does NOT sound like a price based on the value of keeping the golf course.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »

That does NOT sound like a price based on the value of keeping the golf course.

I think there's a house thrown in on the deal ;-)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:57:29 PM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »
When the course was renovated, there were plans to make a serious business of the place, with strict rules of membership, initiation fees and other trappings of many private clubs. But he disdained a bottom-line mentality. When asked who could be a member, he shrugged and said, basically, anyone.
“What am I gonna say? ‘I don’t like you?’ I can’t do that.”

The owners are willing to wait for the right offer on the place, but Mr. Woodger is preparing himself to leave a property that has essentially dominated his life for many years.

“I came back here to help out,” said Mr. Woodger, “It’s been a labor of love, to use a cliché. And it’s been a special, special place.”

Well if that isn't one of the most wonderful "spirit of the game" statements I've ever read...

It also seems to suggest the same as the quote of Harvey Pennick, "if you love golf, you are my friend" or something close to that.

I googled the author, Mr. Kennedy, thinking he might be in the famous Kennedy family of that same locale, but didn't see that reference to him.  But, it turns out he is the author of "A Course of Their Own" about the hurdles and struggles of African-American golfers trying to break into the PGA.  It seems John H. Kennedy and his wife Jane Seagrave are well seated in the Martha's Vineyard society and publish the Gazette there. 

Now, we need to find a very wealthy hobbiest turf head, who wishes to retire in a near idyllic environment of Martha's Vineyard, who can afford it, and who can do Mr Woodger's job and maintain the course so we GCA.com fanatics can go play as golf was meant to be played...free but for a honor box of contributions, naturally across the sea dunes and shorescapes.  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 06:42:30 PM »
Wow. I have probably been on "Chappy" 20+ times over the years as we get a beach sticker and drive over the famous Dike Bridge. I had heard that there was a 3 hole course but assumed it was just for the owner and friends.

Fabulous story, and thanks for posting.

Mr Moore, next season's trip to Maine is in jeopardy, I have to complete The Vineyard rotation!!  :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:44:23 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Will Lozier

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
Wow. I have probably been on "Chappy" 20+ times over the years as we get a beach sticker and drive over the famous Dike Bridge. I had heard that there was a 3 hole course but assumed it was just for the owner and friends.

Fabulous story, and thanks for posting.

Mr Moore, next season's trip to Maine is in jeopardy, I have to complete The Vineyard rotation!!  :D

Mike,

Get over there!  My younger brother was a carpenter on the vineyard for over 10 years and he used to take me over for 3-5 loops of the (what were) 6 holes every time I visited from VT & Maine.  As I said in my original post, there are a couple totally unique and difficult par-3's and the whole experience is a time-warp in the best way!  Would be perfect for hickories or even an old half-set and a intact balata.  Check it out!

Cheers

PS - Haven't played the 3 new holes and had no idea that there were originally 24!?!?!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:01:07 PM by Will Lozier »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back