News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: TPC Boston comment by Ian Poulter
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
I'm having a hard time believing its cause its a course for bombers.  Almost every course on the PGA Tour is built for bombers, save for Hilton Head and The Colonial.

P.S.  And compared to the average joe he is a bomber.... he averages nearly 290 off the tee.  I'll stick with the "spoiled rotten" quip till proven otherwise.  ;)

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
Sure, he's spoiled because he gets to play golf all the time. Does that mean he should not have or express opinions? Kalen, do you really want pro golfers to be more boring?

He doesn't say it's bad architecture or that it should be blown up, it's just a course he doesn't care for. He's honest about that. So be it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
Matt,

I'm actually calling him to the carpet because he's not giving a real answer.  Lets look at his alleged reasons.

1)  Its a bombers course.  This is complete BS as pretty much every course on tour benefits the bombers...so much for that one.

2)  The course doesn't fit his eye.  What does that even mean?  No explanation, no detail, just more gibberish that brings nothing to the table.

P.S.  He used the words "hate" and "get me away from this place" in his tweet.  Certainly sounds like blowing it up would be OK by him.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
Matt,

I'm actually calling him to the carpet because he's not giving a real answer.  Lets look at his alleged reasons.

1)  Its a bombers course.  This is complete BS as pretty much every course on tour benefits the bombers...so much for that one.

2)  The course doesn't fit his eye.  What does that even mean?  No explanation, no detail, just more gibberish that brings nothing to the table.

P.S.  He used the words "hate" and "get me away from this place" in his tweet.  Certainly sounds like blowing it up would be OK by him.

Kalen, He wrote in a tweet that he hates the course. On twitter you get 160 characters. How much explanation can he give? Our speculation as to why he doesn't like the course is just that ... speculation. As far as I can tell, no one this week asked him to elaborate and he never did. So what if he would blow it up if he could? He has to play an event there every year and he doesn't like the course. I don't get why the fact that he is successful enough to be able to play golf for a living means he should not have (or not express) opinions about the courses he plays. I much prefer an honest player to one more guy who spits out rote platitudes.

JSlonis

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
Kalen,

I think there is definitely something about a course not "fitting your eye". It's not just a throwaway line. For my own game, there are certainly holes and courses that just make me feel more comfortable or awkward depending on the way I see it.

If you just look on tour from year to year, there are courses that specific guys play well on nearly every year regardless of how their recent form might be.

Martin Toal

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »
I am no huge fan of Poulter, but I think he was simply saying what he thought, and is perfectly entitled to do so. I much prefer that, even when I don't agree, than some bland sponsor friendly piece of sycophancy. Some of the post round interviews with examples of the clean cut modern identipro are just torture. With Westwood or Poults, there is a decent chance of something interesting. Stenson is a good interview too, although he doesn't get much post-round action at present. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back