News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: “ How did NGLA change you?”
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
Wind Mills on all miniature golf courses?

And on Dismal River!

No, that's not the answer, smarty.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »
Have you ever had that perfect cut of meat at a steakhouse where you could swear that you've never tasted anything better?  Then every time you cook a steak on the grill at home, as good as it may be, it's just never the same.  The difference is that you know you can always go back to that steakhouse whereas, unfortunately, that's not always the case with NGLA.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
NGLA changed public golf in America forever in the way that it impacted Mike Keiser, the owner/developer/dreamer-in-chief of Bandon Dunes.  Based on what I've read and conversations I've had with interested parties, NGLA is Mike's favorite golf course and it was a great stimulant to his desire to better understand golf course architecture.  When you consider that NGLA is Macdonald's introductory course in golf course architecture for Americans with its "replicas" and templates and when you further consider that the Old Macdonald golf course continues that educational process in a decidedly respectful and playful way and further that the course is open to the public, you can see why I opine that NGLA changed public golf in a big way in this country.  I'm sure it had an impact on private golf course construction as well, but the public gift is really a staggering concept when you think about it.

So I guess I should add that NGLA changed my golfing life because, in a somewhat elliptical way, it allowed me to expand my appreciation of golf course architecture by informing the man who had the vision to plan and build the Bandon Dunes Resort in a way that gives each and every player an opportunity to see the type of architecture on a public course in America that is usually only seen on a private course.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:52:42 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »
Terry,

The Old MacDonald analogy is good but a more accessible public course, such as Knoll West by Banks,  in heavily populated North Jersey is a better example. Old MacDonald gets the press but Knoll West is more conveniently located for a larger population. It can be a day trip for those in the Philly metro area.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »
Thanks for joining in Patrick, much appreciated.

Your comments suggest that Bernard Darwin was on to something when he wrote "...one is always learning; let the wind shift but a point or two and every shot is changed. Men who have known the course for years will argue learnedly, with no hope of agreeing, on the best line to a particular hole, with a particular wind. There is absolutely nothing cut and dried about it, and the more you play the course the more humble you become, and the more you realise how little you know about it."

This all sounds so very intriguing, the posts above and Darwin of course, little wonder the course carries the esteemed reputation that it does.

Slightly different subject - when reading the history of a neighbouring club today, suggestion was made that while NGLA in its early days was not exactly an "Eveless Eden" women were "tolerated rather than welcomed."

I've heard that one shouldn't believe everything they read, and, I also understand the under currents of rivalry that exists amongst local clubs.
Hence, you have to consider the source when evaluating any comment.

Would you know how things stand today?

The clubhouse has a very nice Lady's locker room, with it's entrance a few feet away from the men's locker room near the circle.

Are there women out on the fairways enjoying the challenges of the course?

In abundance

Many female members?  Is there a womens comp and / or committee?  -

I couldn't comment on the administration of the club's affairs because I'm not familiar with them.
If there are committees I don't think there are many of them and I don't think they're overpopulated like so many other clubs tend to do

Just curious given that i am - well - a woman  : ) and a golfer who happens to love fine classic architecture.

There is a distinct set of lady's tees.
And, if you read "Scotland's Gift", on the last page there's a 1928 schematic which would seem to indicate/locate some of the lady's tees.
One of the wonderful features of the golf course is the ability to play alternate routes, depending upon one's ability.

Am enjoying revisting your Enchanted Journey.

I'm going to try to add a few more holes, shortly.

I think I left off after # 7, so # 8 would be on deck, or maybe I left off on # 8, I'm not sure.
Perhaps someone can direct me to the next tee  ;D

Thanks, Lyne

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »
Terry - this paragraph/insight of yours is very good, and it seems to me spot on.

"When you consider that NGLA is Macdonald's introductory course in golf course architecture for Americans with its "replicas" and templates and when you further consider that the Old Macdonald golf course continues that educational process in a decidedly respectful and playful way and further that the course is open to the public, you can see why I opine that NGLA changed public golf in a big way in this country.  I'm sure it had an impact on private golf course construction as well, but the public gift is really a staggering concept when you think about it."

I started a thread long ago on what might've happened if CBM's primary connections were with municipal leaders (town mayors etc) instead of with the wall street/financial community -- the thought being that perhaps public golf in America would've developed much differently.  But as you point out, it now HAS...

Peter

PS - Lynn, nice to see you posting again. I've read others in the past speaking of NGLA as a living and magical place with a unique aura; if I'm reading it right, you'll be experiencing it yourself soon...which I'm happy about.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back