News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Here are some 5th holes – or that is how they are labelled. They could be wrongly labelled, of course, and we’ve seen with Rungsted that they need not be UK courses, but most will be! Where these courses have already been identified I take the misery out of it by acknowledging that.

A

This could be one of two places I played on consecutive frosty, winter mornings and both allowed full play on the greens – no temporaries.

B

I rather suspect that this might be the island hole in the middle of the River Wharfe at Ilkley, but I’m prepared to be over-ruled.

C

Is it Rungsted, is it Sherwood Forest (both already identified) ir is it somewhere else? I’m genuinely ignorant.

D

I’m going to stick my neck out and suggest that this is the same Cheshire course that I indicated I need to return to in the posting of 4th holes, but I should have thought this was the 6th, not the 5th…..

E

The island in the background should give this course away if you don’t recognise the hole itself.

F

I’ve already identified this course in my wrap up of first holes – I think, I could be wrong!

G

Still waiting to drive on the 5th on Sunningdale Old. That was a long time ago. I could drive safely now, with no danger to those in front!

H

Royal West Norfolk at Brancaster has already been identified. This was taken on a glorious late afternoon in July some years ago. I had given a duet recital in the early afternoon in Brancaster church and the fee was minimal, but the festival organiser was able to also arrange for me to play Brancaster with a member after the concert. I had played the course several times before, but I have never played with anyone who played and walked so quickly. We were round in 2 hours 15 minutes – OK, giving putts – as I knew I had a long drive home afterwards. We didn’t look for lost golf balls, either – I probably lost half a dozen balls.

I

This course has already been identified, but I’ll not spoil the fun just yet….

J

Is this the green of I looking back whence it came or is it ….? Genuine question.

K

The notice in the background of the second picture points to a long walk over a bridge to the next tee. This course has been seen in earlier posts but not yet identified.

L

I have done a digital photo tour of this course on GCA, one of only three such clubs in England.

Paul_Turner

Re: Some UK (or possibly Danish!) golf holes for you to recognise 5
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:16 AM »
A is Addinton 6th.  D looks like Addington 15th, with the big veiw of London in the background?... but I don't think it's quite right, I don't remember it turning that much.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:51:46 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
A is Addington
D is not also Addington

I'm pretty sure that B is not Ilkley - I think it's an inland course in Lancashire.

Jim Eder

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »
Mark,

The last pic, is it Wirral Ladies?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
Jim, Well done! It is Wirral Ladies.

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »
Mark,

E is the 5th at Burnham & Berrow. The gaping front bunker isn't clear which might be why you don't recognise it. Possibly because the pic you've shown appears to be taken from the dunes to the right of 4th green rather than the 5th tee itself, though this isn't a million miles from the view from the new back tee, though its actually even further back than this.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »
Yes, James, you got it even without a sight of the bunker, Burnham.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
C probably not rungsted

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
Mark - I am hoping you will have a pic of B&B s 6th hole in this collection of yours, that pic of Burnhams 5th is before the new 6th was created by Hawtree in the mid 70s, today you walk off left but pre 76 you walked off at 2'O clock up a path through the Buckthorn to a long tee pad for the old 6th hole.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
Mark,

Maybe I should have given somebody else a chance on that one but the excitement of managing to get one of these got the better of me, sorry  ::)

I'm with Adrian, it would be great if you had pics of the old 6th at Burnham!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Paul Nash

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
I think I and J are Crowborough?

Tom Kelly

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
I am pretty certain C is Sherwood.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 07:05:26 AM »
A is the Addington - 6th hole, not 5th.
B is Clitheroe, not Ilkley
C is, according to Tom, Sherwood Forest. Thank you.
D is Romiley 6th, not 5th - a fine hole, dog-leg to the right with a bit climb to find the green. The present version of the course was 1920s I think - Tom Renouf.
E is Burnham and Berrow
F I'm fairly sure is Thetford, another course I need to revisit. I think the designer was Mayo.
G Sunningdale
H Royal West Norfolk
I and J Crowborough Beacon
K Fulford. The sign points golfers to the long walk over a bridge over the A64 to find the middle holes of the round. The course had to be altered somewhat when the York By-Pass was built, but I never experienced the unaltered version.
L Wirral Ladies

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back