News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Re: Patrick Mucci uses subliminal messaging New
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 11:29:51 AM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:10:40 PM by astavrides »

Steve Lapper

Re: Patrick Mucci uses subliminal messaging
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »
I for one, standing alone or not, very much appreciate both the titling and content of most all of Pat's threads.

Unlike those others afflicted with posting diarrhea (and yes, Pat can suffer from this  ;) on occasion as well), at least his threads focus on Golf Architecture and ask relevant questions that deserve meaningful responses. His Golden Dome disease not withstanding, he wastes little time and bulls..t on all the OT crap that has diluted this place. The man might have few online diplomatic skills, but at least he doesn't pretend otherwise.

Suffering few fools, feeling no pity for drivel and exercising his well-experienced golf intellect is part of what has always made GCA an important site. Pat's candor is only matched by his generosity and participatory spirit....lest few forget that it was his sole inspiration and tenacity that has produced some of the best one-day gatherings and GCA presentations ever made to this audience. So like him, or not, and that is your right (even the curmudgeon in Mucci would fight for as much), pay the man some respect for all he has contributed here. Many have written more, but few have added as much.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:17:24 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JMEvensky

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
I for one, standing alone or not, very much appreciate both the titling and content of most all of Pat's threads.

Unlike those others afflicted with posting diarrhea (and yes, Pat can suffer from this :o on occasion as well), at least his threads focus on Golf Architecture and ask relevant questions that deserve meaningful responses. His Golden Dome disease not withstanding, he wastes little time and bulls..t on all the OT crap that has diluted this place. The man might have few online diplomatic skills, but at least he doesn't pretend otherwise.

Suffering few fools, feeling no pity for drivel and exercising his well-experienced golf intellect is part of what has always made GCA an important site. His candor is only matched by his generosity and participatory spirit....let few forget that it was Pat's inspiration and tenacity that has produced some of the best one-day gatherings and GCA presentations ever made to this audience. So like him, or not, and that is your right (even the curmudgeon in Mucci would fight for this), pay the man some respect for all he has contributed here. Many have written more, but few have added as much.

Steve

The best defense/damn with faint praise I've ever read. ;D

Jason Thurman

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
Steve, I agree. I can't believe we're complaining about the titles of Pat's threads while almost everyone seems fine with the fact that this one exists. I'm with John Kavanaugh. I'm embarrassed to even be posting on this thread, and I wouldn't give it the bump except for the fact that it's somehow stayed right at the top of the forum for over two days now.

Seriously guys, just hover over the title and you can read the first few lines of the first post.

*Cue the guy whining because hovering doesn't work when he's using his iPhone while walking down the fairway so now he simply cannot live without bringing his laptop to the course, as anyone who sends him a PM expects an IMMEDIATE response...
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »
A casual inspection of the first 5 pages of threads will confirm that the amount of weird, provocative thread titles seems to have grown, even in the absence of Melvyn Hunter Morrow from the discussion boards. To paraphrase noted literary pugilist and non-golfer Norman Mailer, it's 's all "Advertisements for Myself".

After using most of the digits on my hands, Pat Mucci would appear to be the provocateur in chief. His overuse of the 'blind' or "open envelope' headlines would put my former colleagues at Ogilvy & Mather Direct to shame...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:54:53 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

JLahrman

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
Seriously guys, just hover over the title and you can read the first few lines of the first post.

*Cue the guy whining because hovering doesn't work when he's using his iPhone while walking down the fairway so now he simply cannot live without bringing his laptop to the course, as anyone who sends him a PM expects an IMMEDIATE response...

It's Ran's site and he can police it how he wants. And I pointed out on another thread that you can hover over the title and read the first sentence. But if everyone titled threads this way, the entire thread list would be nonsensical. It's just silly.

But let's have some fun with it. Here are the top ten thread titles that we might see in the next year:

1. Who
2. Holy moly!
3. If
4. Once
5. Delicious
6. Shazam!
7. You
8. Bollocks
9. My
10. Katniss

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »
I have praised Pat for his unceasing generosity, just visit the contributions page and you'll see he has no piers. Then there's his enthusiasm for the subject, simplymagnificent.

But before attacking others, including making up things, yes I mean you Jason, please tell me how does such persistent rudeness and plain refusal to consider the merit of anyone else's position,on a discussion board ha!, seriously sit with someone who professes to defend the traditional virtues, inherent in golf and its etiquette? Too often Pat plays the role of the clubhouse boor, shouting his opinion on anything under the sun. It got old long ago and the constant attention seeking turns people off the man and the discussion board.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Astavrides,

Rather than say, "So what", I simply stated that "I don't care what others think about the title of my threads"

The great majority of threads come to me spontaneously, as do their titles and I'm not about to change them for anyone.

I've made that clear on numerous occassions, so I don't know why the whining continues.

Steve Lapper,

Thanks for the "kind" ? words ;D

Ya know, you just can't please everyone, can you ?

Jason,

Have you noticed that those doing the most complaining don't seem to be starting many threads of their own.

Anthony Butler,

Depends upon whether you judge the book by it's cover or it's content.
I like the titles and think they tie in with the subject matter.
And, the threads aren't about me, they're about GCA, like the most recent one about "shoulders"
But, if you want to contribute more by starting interesting threads, titled anyway you want, please do so.

JLarhman,

That's not fair.
You listed four (4) of my next thread titles

Tony Muldoon,

I certainly consider the merits of the positions of others, but, I just don't happen to agree with many of them.
Isn't that what discussion and debate are all about ?

As to this thread, I was minding my own business when someone dragged me into it and I responded.

I don't consider typing in green ink as "shouting" my opinion.

There's no attention seeking.
One only has to READ the threads to see that they're about GCA.
Just look at the most recent "shoulders" thread.
Is that seeking attention ?

Others have initiated many more threads over the last 25 pages.
Were they seeking attention ?

As I've repeatedly stated, I'm not changing the way I title my threads.
I've been doing it this way for over a decade and I'm not about to change my methodology anytime soon, irrespective of the petty objections some may present.
I don't think that's "shouting" or seeking "attention", just a matter of fact statement that I've oft repeated.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 01:53:25 AM »

Anthony Butler,

Depends upon whether you judge the book by it's cover or it's content.
I like the titles and think they tie in with the subject matter.
And, the threads aren't about me, they're about GCA, like the most recent one about "shoulders"
But, if you want to contribute more by starting interesting threads, titled anyway you want, please do so.

Pat,

Don't get me wrong, as a person who has spent approximately 20 years of my career being paid for my writing abilities, I'm all for the provocative thread title, particularly if the 'cover lives up to the content'... case in point, your recent "Shoulders" thread. Good stuff... although if I thought about an architectural feature to the same degree while on the course, I'd probably shank my approach shot.

Some of your other recent title efforts, like "I've had it" and "Does anyone think" are just attempts to lure us closer to hear you yell, "stay off my lawn, you lousy kids"...

Next!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »

Pat,

Don't get me wrong, as a person who has spent approximately 20 years of my career being paid for my writing abilities, I'm all for the provocative thread title, particularly if the 'cover lives up to the content'... case in point, your recent "Shoulders" thread. Good stuff... although if I thought about an architectural feature to the same degree while on the course, I'd probably shank my approach shot.

Some of your other recent title efforts, like "I've had it" and "Does anyone think" are just attempts to lure us closer to hear you yell, "stay off my lawn, you lousy kids"...

Not really.

"Does anyone think" was a reaction I had to watching golf on TV and the boorish, non-gentlemenly conduct of the crowd.
Mark my words, it won't be long before a fan interferes with play if this behavior goes unabated.
I'm hoping that the Ryder Cup doesn't deteriorate into an ugly display by the fans, which seems to be the trend since Kiawah.

The "I've had it" thread was my reaction to an on course experience that day, that was the straw that broke the camels back.
Shortly before that episode, the President of a nearby club, with a no-cellphone policy sent a letter out notifying members that they'd be suspended if caught using their phone.  Three previous letters asking for members to refrain from use went unheeded, prompting more drastic action, so, when I had the incident, it generated a thread.  Judging by the number of responses, it appeared to be a relevant and interesting thread.

All threads can't be all things to all people

Anthony Butler

Ryder Cup at Bethpage?
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »
No matter what the thread title, Pat, I agree with you that New York sports fans, alcohol and American Exceptionalism can't all co-exist peacefully at one event...
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back