News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Saunton Sept 19-26
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
I will be in England this September for a speaking engagement.  I do not think, however, it is courteous to speak and run.  Consequently, I will be in Saunton from Sept 19-26.  I took out an overseas membership.  I am playing with Sean Arble at Burnham and Berrow on the 23rd but the other days I am free if anyone is in the area and would like to play.  I am flying in and out of Bristol so I will not be traveling to London, but will stay in the southwest.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:24:48 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Pearce

Re: Saunton Sept 19-26
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:02 PM »
It's a long time since I have been to Saunton.  Far too long.  And the journey from the North East is too far, even if, post BUDA, I had the time, but enjoy Saunton, a wonderful place and two excellent courses.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:52:55 AM »
Tommy,

I have nothing in the diary for that period that can't be postponed, so I'd love to meet up with you. Where else might you be playing?

Best wishes,

Mark. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
Hi Mark, I don't have anywhere else set up.  I had thought about East Devon.  It looks interesting or going down to St. Enodoc again.  But I really thought about staying and playing at Saunton.  There is something to be said about being at one spot.  I would to see you again.
Hope your family is well.  Tell Giles that I was at kinloch a few weeks ago.  I know it was one of his favorite places over here.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
Tommy,

Giles and I hope to join you and Sean at Burnham on 23rd. I suspect you could play both courses at Saunton for days on end without boredom, but there is so much else in the West Country. Obviously you know St Enodoc and Westward Ho. I have a lot of time for West Cornwall at Lelant. Perranporth you are bound to know. I really enjoy Yelverton. I don't know Mullion, but I'm told it's a good play. I, personally, was disappointed with Trevose, but if Paul Turner thought otherwise, i should respect his superior opinion and knowledge. I've not played Ilfracombe and it has any number of advocates, especially for its renowned under 100-yards short hole.

It's worth asking advice of Adrian Stiff, architect and West Country golfer. There are probably some contemporary courses (including some of his) that ought not to be ignores. It's not far over to those lovely Dorset courses of Broadstone, Isle of Purbeck, Parkstone and Ferndown. None is perfect, but each has considerable merits.

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back