News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Simon Holt

Aberdeen Golf
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »
So, if Trump is going to bring the golfing world to Aberdeen, there needs to be other great courses in the area to hold people a la St. Andrews or Muirfield with their surrounding courses.

Royal Aberdeen is very well known, Murcar is right there, Cruden Bay is not too far away...

I am biting the bullet and playing a round at Trump with a few pals in a week or so.  Where else shall we play that is really close to Aberdeen?  How do those secondary courses help Aberdeenshire stack up against East Lothian and St. Andrews as a golfing destination?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:34:37 PM by Simon Holt »
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

David_Tepper

Re: Aberdeen Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
Fraserburgh and Peterhead, north of Cruden Bay, are supposed to be worth a look.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
Fraserburgh is the better of the two options among itself and Peterhead (although it's a bit farther up the road than Peterhead). Fraserburgh -- Corbie Hill locally -- is a fine links with an indifferent #1 and #18, but those holes move you into and out of the fine links land on which the course sits. Not long, but a tough little links.

Peterhead has some very good holes among the dunes, but for my tastes it doesn't have as many solid holes as Fraserburgh. And the first three holes at Peterhead are a bit out of character.

Quite close by Aberdeen -- and honestly, a must play in the way that going to Blackpool is a must if in the northwestern environs of England -- is Stovehaven, 60-some acres of zaniness that sits on the clifftops overlooking the North Sea and adjoining a cemetery. A round will take you about two hours, the clubhouse is a grand old dame, and the course has some all-world par 3s.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »
Balnagask and Hazlehead.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:45:02 AM »
Simon,

Personally I think Trump (plus a future hotel) was what was needed to make Aberdeen a proper destination with Balgownie, Cruden Bay & Murcar... Without the 4th course, those three alone failed to pull a large number north-east. I think it's now genuinely a golf destination. But it needs a good hotel... The one think letting it down in my opinion is that there isn't an obvious village beside golf course to base yourself in...

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:14:19 AM »
South of Aberdeen Stonehaven is a must see.  Either on the way up or down don't forget Montrose or if an inland diversion is needed then Edzell is a lovely spot.

If the sea fog is down then you'll have to head inland for a decent game and i'd always recommend the courses up the Dee Valley.  Ballater is the best of the lot, though a fair drive away (beautiful scenery though).  Aboyne and Banchory are good fun and Newmachar is a tough Dave Thomas course.  Just don't go there if it is wet.

The links courses you've already been pointed towards are all very good.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:25:28 AM »
Simon

You have the big guns targeted.  I would echo the sentiments of seeing Stonehaven IF you are happy not to play a great course.  Stonehaven is quirky, but it has several dull moments as well.  Still, on a nice day, it isn't dissimilar to Crail in what is offered from an overall perspective.  If it were me, I would want to play Fraserburgh if only because one is not likely to get closer on a trip.  Its one of those corner of the country courses which is not on the way to anywhere. 

Of course if you are driving up from the south there are several options on the way (around Carnoustie/Montrose) which may negate the idea of going even further north than Cruden Bay. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 06:19:38 AM »
I'll second Banchory (an inland Kilspindie) and Newmachar (but only the Hawkshill course).  I hear good things about Royal Deesdie, but I haven't played there.  Peterhead is very much worth playing, but calling it part of Aberdeen is stretching things a bit.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 06:37:43 AM »
Simon,

Are you really looking for golf courses around Aberdeen other than those 4?

It's quite a step down to the next level in and around the city itself... But there's a few good ones on the road up (as mentioned)...

I actually prefer the inland municipal course at Hazlehead (MacKenzie initially) but only if it's dry... Ballater is the best course out Deeside way in my opinion but that's miles off your beaten track... Newmachar Hawkshill is a stunning property but a very 80's / 90's American style design... Some great holes though...

Or you've municipal links golf at The King's Links or Balnagask (Niggs Bay)...

None of these courses hold a candle to Balgownie, Murcar & Cruden Bay though...

Disclaimer - I never saw Robin's work at Royal Deeside... Average but well heeled club in my day...

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 07:28:05 AM »
Ally

I popped into Deeside the other week for the first time in over a decade.  Preferred it back then before they changed things about (again) to accommodate the new clubhouse location   ;).

The new bits (1996-99) construction have matured now, but lots of tinkering.  New clubhouse is very nice though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:29:37 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Brian_Ewen

Re: Aberdeen Golf New
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »
Speaking as someone who lives in the area :

Stonehaven : On a fine day is there a better place for a fun days golf ?, unfortunately the course is in REALLY poor condition and should be avoided.

Newmachar : "If its not wet" ? .... when is Newmachar never wet ? .... I really dont think you have to come all the way to Aberdeen to play Newmachar, every city in the UK has a Newmachar.

Deeside GC (Where did the Royal come from?) : Another course that is worth avoiding when wet, plus it used to be Private and the only time I have been able to play it, is in comps, opens etc.

Banchory is okay, but again after this summer will be very wet.

I know I mentioned Hazlehead which is a really nice course but the way the weather has been I would scratch it off the list as well.

Balnagask is very underrated in my opnion, even in the wettest of summers, always plays like a links course, and good fun.

The Kings Links has its moments (an excellent Spion Kop) and is fine if you like muni links courses.

So if you want courses in Aberdeen to add to Trump, RA, CB, Murcar, it would be Balnagask and King Links.

Otherwiise, head a little further north to Fraserburgh and Peterhead.

BTW, after another drenching at Trumps course yesterday, beware conditioning isnt what you would expect for a £150 course, and the fairways have been heavily sanded, and ....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:34:45 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back