News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Handley

Upcoming Tour of Ireland...Local Knowledge Needed
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »
I am setting off on August 9th for a 9 day journey through Ireland. We have 8 guys and most are rookies. I've played Portrush, County Down and Portmarnock but I am thrilled about the rest and seeing those gems again. Here is the itinerary which is already booked and set.  I'd love any advice or local knowledge in terms of restaurants, travel tips, bars, caddies, etc.  I know this group has been there and done that in Ireland.  Thanks for your help and I'll post pics when we're done.

Aug 9  Golf at Tralee, Stay 19th Lodge at Ballybunion
Aug 10 Golf at Ballybunion Old Course, Stay at Lodge at Doonbeg
Aug 11 Golf at Doonbeg, Golf at Lahinch, Stay at Lodge at Doonbeg
Aug 12 Drive to Portrush, Golf at Royal Portrush, Stay at Bushmills Inn
Aug 13 Golf at Royal Portrush, Stay at Slieve Donard in Newcastle
Aug 14 Golf (36) at Royal County Down, Stay at Slieve Donard
Aug 15 Golf at Baltray, Stay in Dublin
Aug 16 Golf at Portmarnock, Stay in Dublin
Aug 17 Golf at European Club, Stay in Dublin
Aug 18 Fly back to Dallas

I know it's a fair amount of driving but we've hired a coach so no stress on our end.  Maybe a few pints along the way.

Cheers,

John

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

hhuffines

Re: Upcoming Tour of Ireland...Local Knowledge Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:12:11 PM »
Your group might enjoy the coastal route from Portrush on the way down to Newcastle.  The SD hotel has a nice spa if you're there after the 36 hole day at RCD.   The town south of Co. Louth was really interesting and I wished I'd had the time to walk around there.  Two caddies I enjoyed at Portrush were Rory Hussein and and older gent, "the Baptist".  At RCD the caddie master's son, Sean, was great and there was a good caddie at Portmarnock named Ray.  They all saved me shots and were enjoyable to be with.   You guys are lucky - have a great trip.

Martin Toal

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:26:38 AM »
Looks like a great trip. I hope you are making an early start on August 12th. Doonbeg to Portrush is a decent drive, somewhere in the region of 250 miles.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »
That's a luxurious looking trip John.... You probably do want to add a little "Irish" in there with all the big hospitality stuff though... Try and tie up with Pat Ruddy at the European should he be there... He will provide you with plenty of anecdotes and interesting views on Irish golf... A nice finish to the trip...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back