News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

There's a cool video of Essex County CC (ca.1924) found at this link. It's 17 mins. or so and there are some views of the course at around 9 mins in. The first mins. showcase the front gate, clubhouse, employees, members, etc., and are interesting in their own right.

http://www.essexcountycc.com/club/scripts/public/public.asp?GRP=8587&NS=PUBLIC

I got to thinking about this putt after reading Jim Johnson's experience on the 17th green at Wine Valley. This one is on the 6th green at Essex and it took place many years ago when George Bahto was there working on the front nine.  We were tooling around looking at the work he was doing on the course and when we came to the 6th George asked me to putt from the yellow spot in the photo toward the hole, represented by the red spot. The blue spot represents the general area where all my attempts finished. Then George putted, his attempt is represented by the black line - starting at the yellow spot and ending at the red spot. His ball came to rest about 2'-3' from the hole, on the first try. Amazing. Wildest, most circuitous putt I have ever seen. I don't know how long it took him to 'find' that one, but it was one I'll never forget.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:50:04 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Patrick_Mucci

Jim,

That putt seems like the 10th at Yale.... on steroids.

What a putt

Jim_Kennedy

Pat,
Yale's 10th looks the part, the 6th at ECCC looks relatively harmless, but it has big shoulders. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Alex Lagowitz

Jim,

Nice find!
I'm glad to see the website is actually getting hits; most of the members barely even know that video exists.
When I first saw the video a couple months ago, I was intrigued by how "stately" the club used to be.  Of course, this was the old course at Hutton Park and not the new one "on the mountain".   Gives a great look into the opulent lifestyles of late 19th and early 20th century millionaires.

George_Bahto

Jimbo - thanks for reminding me - that was a fun day

Putting around you 6th green at Hotchkiss was also a lot of fun

That switch-back putt at Yale’s 10th is one of the great putts on the course - pin right front and the putt just switches back a couple of times assuming you hit it a the right speed when you are just above the hole

Also the 2nd green at Essex County has a great putt -  from the middle right collar to a pin directly across the green, with the pin close to the middle left edge ....    You have to putt up to the collar in the middle back of the green, from where it starts gathering speed - you can easily go into the left greenside flanking bunker - fun stuff

And of course we have the great “challenge-putter, ”Winged Foot’s putter extraordinaire, Neil Regan!

We spent a lot of time challenge-putting the great greens at Winged Foot. He’s very tough.

Worse he’ll obviously never give you a line.

The last two putts I had with him were interesting. One at WF where you had to cross the green from collar to collar, from where the ball turns 90 degrees ....    Drained it.

So he convinces me to go to the Mohansic course nearby where he has been wanting to show me those wild greens.

I drained the one there on the first try (same sort of swinging putt, which then “charges” down hill - probably 50' total)

I think I deserve a dinner from him
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Malcolm Mckinnon

Jim,

Looks like golf at Gulph Mills today! TEPaul???

Seriously, a great find. I love it. Without the interest and efforts of those that we see in this film where would golf be today? My hat goes off to every single one of them.

Malcolm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back