News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

The health of the golf course business
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »
We played a over at Glen Mills (Weed - PA) today.  One of the starters told me their tee sheet was 100% booked from 6AM through 4PM.

He also told me that the course was packed last week during 97F temps with seriously humid conditions.  

Is this indicative in any way of the health of golf nationally, or is it just a Philly thing?

John Kavanaugh

Re: The health of the golf course business
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
We are all just waiting for football and have given up on organized religion. What else is there to do but golf on Sundays in the heat of summer?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »
Dan,

I think it's a Glen Mills thing. A quality public course will do that even one with higher green fees than most in the area. I usually play there during the week on their senior special @$55. Weekend rates are $95.

As you know, some lower tier privates in the area now semi-private because they are struggling.

I imagine some publics are having problems as well. I know that one near me has lost much business since their high point about 10 years ago..
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
Steve - interesting.  Perhaps it's Glen Mills' price point?  Or the fact that its profits go to the school?

They're obviously doing something right - I think it's important to figure out what they're doing that others aren't.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:35:48 PM »
LuLu's public weekend rates are $78 but their facilities are weak for a post round meal but beer is served. No alcohol at GM so they're not doing a big F&B business.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »
I called several courses around Cleveland today and every single one had a full tee sheet.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »

No alcohol at GM so they're not doing a big F&B business.

What's up with that?   >:( ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
Bill,

I don't think a "reform school" can obtain a liquor license in PA.  :D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 09:53:12 PM »
Bill - Glen Mills is run for the benefit of The Glen Mills School, which helps kids that have experienced "issues" in life.  It's a fantastic organization, and selling booze wouldn't be consistent with their mission.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:07 AM »
Glen Mills is a quality facility that also happens to be well run. It doesn't carry the debt load of the monster clubhouse either. Though the undulation and elevation changes render it mainlly a walking course, I've always been disappointed they didn't at least develop a fore- caddie program there.

With a blend of good locals, to mentor and help them, I belive they could put together something really special there. Obviously, not all of the kids would be candidates, just like anywhere else, caddying ISN'T for everyone. Empowering struggling youth, giving them something they can take pride in and earn money...that beats just having them punch their time and turn them back on the street where they find trouble again. Is it easy, hell no, nothing worthwhile...that changes lives, ever is! That doesn't mean we don't make the effort.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:12 AM »
The two weeks or so surrounding Father's Day and the summer solstice are usually two of the busiest weeks of our golf season.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
Glen Mills has a great course in excellent condition at a good price, benefiting a worthy cause.

Other places can't even manage the great course or good price targets.

WW

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »
I think its a big metropolis area thing.

In the bay area its pretty much the same thing, despite most of the munis being no more than a 2 on the Doak Scale.

"Too many golfers + not enough golf courses = packed tee sheets for mediocre golf courses".  And this is why I think public golf in NorCal is not going to improve...the tee sheets are already full so why improve the course when people will keep on showing up either way?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back