News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith OHalloran

Oak Hill West vs. Monroe Golf Club
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
I played in Rocheser this weekend, and most people compared these two courses. I was wondering how people who have played both compare these courses? Which do you prefer?

Mark Saltzman

Re: Oak Hill West vs. Monroe Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:18:10 PM »
Keith, can we get your view? They both look excellent to me and I've heard nothing but good things.

John Lyon? RoMo?

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
Mark, I only got to play each one once, and Oak Hill West was in hard rain, so I am not sure I took as much time to smell the roses there. That being said, they were similiar to the extent that the fairways had some width, the holes were very good, and the routings  were great. JNC has mentioned on another thread that Monroe has one terrible green, but the others were very good, and had some nice internal contours. Again, I have only played Oak Hill West once, but it seems to me that the greens at Monroe may be consistently more contoured than Oak Hill. I would love to hear people with multiple plays chime in.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
Oh, it is on now!  ;D

I can get into a pretty deep comparison of the two courses.  Obviously, it's going to be a little biased, because I've played Monroe 4 or 5 times and played Oak Hill West hundreds of times.

I'll say this to start: the West Course is without a doubt my favorite golf course in Rochester.  I love the routing of the golf course, which benefits from some great land features.  The set of par threes are fantastic, with the 4th being one of my favorites anywhere.  The West also has a great group of long par fours, which play over the most dramatic terrain on the golf course.  2, 3, 7, 13, 15, and 18 are big and brawny, but the land and great green complexes make them compelling for any golfer. 

As much as I love the West, though, it could be so much better than it is.  While Monroe cherishes its Ross heritage, it's a bit of an afterthought on the West Course.  The bunkering is Fazioified, and trees are nuisance in spots (particularly 16).  If some of the original fairway bunkering were restored (think fairway bunkers cut into the second-shot hill on the par five 6th), trees were trimmed, and short grass were establish around some of the greens (honestly, the mowing patterns are medieval on the West), then the course would be positively elite.

Monroe is phenomenal as well, and as I've stated before, it's in the top three along with CC of Rochester.  Like the West, it has a great set of threes.  The stretch of holes from 4 through 9 is incredible, as are the final four holes.  The best holes at Monroe are as good as the best anywhere.  The problem is that Monroe, even with the tree trimming and Hanse's restoration, still has its warts.  The greens at 1, 11, and 12 are not original.  1 has improved big-time, but 11 and 12 are still awkward golf holes.  Also, I see the greens are being a little more benign than those on the West.  While I love the wild contours on greens like 7 and 18 and dig the green sites at holes like 8, 9 or 17, the West greens take it to another level. 

Honestly, if you pick either golf course you'll be happy with your choice.  But for me, West is best.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:00:38 AM »
Keith,

They are very close - not sure you will find a hole that is a stinker at either course, however the better holes are at Oak Hill West. The strech of holes 13-16 are just fantastic and IMHO #13 is the best hole in all of Western NY. The par 3's are very good at Monroe but they are better at Oak Hill West. The more I play it the more I like the simple 8 & 9 how they fit that section of the property and are very unique.

As JNC said you will not go wrong with either if you are forced to play them every day.

BTW - what is happening at the East course? I know that some revisions we're planned for the PGA next year, but have not heard if any of that has or will be undertaken.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
John,
When I was there, I was shown a green expansion on 5, and a few other holes ( I do not remember all of them as it was pouring) They also moved tghe 15 green much closer to the pond, and flattened some greenside bunkers on 15. JNC may know a lot more specifics on the changes for the tournament.
As for Oak Hill West, I agree with you in regard to its greatness. The fact that Monroe does not have to take a backseat to Oak Hill West says a lot about Monroe.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back