News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Mid-September London area golf
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
I will likely be in London with my family in mid-September and hope to have time to squeeze in one day/round of golf while there.  Because I haven't played any heathland or other inland English courses, and because I might not have that much time, I think it makes the most sense to play something close to London.  There are obviously lots of options -- Swinley, Sunningdale, Woodhall Spa, Walton Heath, St. George's Hilletc., etc.; any recommendations for how to choose one among them?  I care about the course, but am probably more interested in the overall experience.
Thanks in advance,
Carl

Mark Chaplin

Re: Mid-September London area golf
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »
Brian's Swinley post shows there is no better all round experience within 100 miles of London.
Cave Nil Vino

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »
Carl,

Of the clubs you mention, I've been fortunate enough to play Walton Heath Old, Sunningdale Old, & Swinley during my year as an expat.  You really can't go wrong with any of these three or the others you mention.  I prefer Sunningdale for the overall club experience but Swinley is totally unique as well.  For something a little cheaper but sporty as well try Camberley Heath, a great Colt layout.  Also, I would look into West Hill (which no one ever talks about but is fantastic), Woking , or Worplesdon.  I've played the first two and these three courses which essentially share and intersection are all great options.  You should have unbeatable weather around that time!  

Cheers

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »
Spend the day at The Berkshire - 36 holes on two fantastic and fairly contrasting heathland tracks (Fowler/Simpson) and an amazing lunch.

Unless their prices have skyrocketed, you'll get change from £150.

Not as good golf as Swinley or Walton Heath (though still great), but no less an experience for significantly less money.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »
Does Swinley permit visitors (which is what I think folks in the UK call unaccompanied guests)?  They don't appear to have a website . . .

Will Lozier

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »
Does Swinley permit visitors (which is what I think folks in the UK call unaccompanied guests)?  They don't appear to have a website . . .

Carl,

I made a simple phone call and they treated me like a member - they actually comped me even though I was no longer a PGA member having been an apprentice a few years earlier.  While I wouldn't expect that courtesy (I didn't either!), I think if done the right way, they would welcome you.  And, I walked 36 in 5 1/2 hours!

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:46:06 PM by Will Lozier »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
Carl, as you can see from the posts above, there are quite a number of really good to great courses in a heather-clad arc south of London.  Add New Zealand to the list.   All accessible, all solid, all a great experience.   

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 03:33:47 AM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52250.0.html

Sunningdale could be the easiest course to get to. You can take a train from central London and the walk from the Sunningdale train to the golf club can't be much more than 1/4 of a mile.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 06:09:09 AM »
Brian,

That price is cheaper than I was thinking Swinley would be. Value at that price.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Sounds like Swinley is the 1A seed and Sunningdale is the 1B seed.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 06:54:51 PM »
Sunningdale is wonderful but £280 for a day in leggy in any language other than Pebble Beach language!

I've played Swinley and seen more deer (2) than other golfers during a round. It's the closest experience to playing Old Elm on a Sunday morning or Chicago GC.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »
If you want the experience Carl the key is not where you play but with whom you play. Bouncing around Swinley or Sunningdale as a single is nowhere as good as: playing 4somes at a 2-ball club with 3 members. ♫ Doo-dah, doo-dah! ♫

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back