News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Wentworth By The Sea Country Club | Rye, NH
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
"This course provides some of the most magnificent ocean views on the NH seacoast. Originally designed by the "father of New England golf", George Wright in 1897, the course was later improved by notable golf course architect Donald Ross in 1921, and expanded to 18 holes under Geoffrey Cornish's direction in 1964."

Is there any actual evidence or documentation that Ross was involved with this course?

Niall Hay

Re: Wentworth By The Sea Country Club | Rye, NH
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
Also, how does Wentworth compare to Abenaqui and Portsmouth CC in the area?  What course do New Englanders consider the top in NH?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
Wentworth isn't bad, and it does have some nice views, both on the old Ross holes and the new Cornish holes.  The highlight is most likely the par five 17th (I think, I played it only once in 2002), a par 5 that doglegs around a cove with the rocky beach in play.

I have not played Abenaqui, but I can vouch for PCC being a good test and a nice course.  In true RTJ style, the course is big, brawny, with elevated greens and strong bunkering.  The course also plays along Great Bay, the inland saltwater bay of Portsmouth.  I would strongly recommend this course as one of the top publics in NH.

I think the consensus #1 course in NH is Manchester CC, a parkland Ross layout.  Others in the running would be GC of New England in Stratham (only about 5-7 years old), Baker Hill up in the mountains (also new-ish), Lake Winnipesaukee GC, and the Ross (at varying levels of restoration/renovation) courses at Bretton Woods and The Balsams.

Not to say that it does or does not exist, but I don't have access to any Ross documentation at the moment.  I believe Wentworth is listed as a Ross (the original 9) with the DRSociety.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Niall Hay

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
Great insight. Thanks Brad.

Is Portsmouth public?

Manchester CC
GC of New England in Stratham (only about 5-7 years old)
Baker Hill up in the mountains (also new-ish)
Lake Winnipesaukee GC

Are these all private?

What is the best course in the Exeter area?

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
Wentworth isn't bad, and it does have some nice views, both on the old Ross holes and the new Cornish holes.  The highlight is most likely the par five 17th (I think, I played it only once in 2002), a par 5 that doglegs around a cove with the rocky beach in play.

I have not played Abenaqui, but I can vouch for PCC being a good test and a nice course.  In true RTJ style, the course is big, brawny, with elevated greens and strong bunkering.  The course also plays along Great Bay, the inland saltwater bay of Portsmouth.  I would strongly recommend this course as one of the top publics in NH.

I think the consensus #1 course in NH is Manchester CC, a parkland Ross layout.  Others in the running would be GC of New England in Stratham (only about 5-7 years old), Baker Hill up in the mountains (also new-ish), Lake Winnipesaukee GC, and the Ross (at varying levels of restoration/renovation) courses at Bretton Woods and The Balsams.

Not to say that it does or does not exist, but I don't have access to any Ross documentation at the moment.  I believe Wentworth is listed as a Ross (the original 9) with the DRSociety.

Bald Peak one day!

Niall Hay

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »
GC of New England in Stratham looks pretty nice from the pictures on their website. Palmer design. Also are hosting the Junior Am.

In fact, "It will be the first USGA championship conducted in the state of New Hampshire."

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »
Yup...Bald Peak is one of my "one days."  GC of New England is likely head and shoulders better than the below...including Portsmouth, even though PCC is closest in quality.

Portsmouth is semi-private...so probably restricted on weekend mornings...just need to call ahead.  I think its about $50 to play.

Those other four are private, yes, but a call from your pro might unlock some doors, especially late in the year.

Let's see...Exeter...PCC would be the best public in that area for sure.  Sagamore-Hampton has some crazy greens/holes, and I have never played the full 18.  CC of Rochester was home to one of my college teammates and he said it was nice.  Next on the list would be Southern Maine...The Ledges...Cape Neddick is semi-private I believe and has some Ross to it...Links at Outlook is a mixed bag...York G&T is really cool if you can get on, another private Ross.

Canterbury Woods is pretty decent, about 30 minutes north just past Concord on 93.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back