News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim McCann

Has anybody played any good golf courses in Morocco?
« on: March 31, 2012, 04:30:06 PM »
I wonder if anybody has played a Moroccan course of note -perhaps you've had a round on one of the Dar Es Salam layouts
or managed a game at the old Royal Tangier Golf Club?

The resort courses I played in Agadir and Marrakech last week were a bit of a let down, despite carrying the design credentials
of people like Robert Trent Jones Snr, Cabell Robinson and Kyle Phillips.

The photo below is from the 18th fairway of the Al Maaden course, featuring a scaled down version of Oakmont's Church Pews bunker:

Tom_Doak

Re: Has anybody played any good golf courses in Morocco?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
Jim:

You're the first person on the board to play Al Maaden; I would love to see you give a review of it.

I spent a day with the landscape architect, Fernando Caruncho, who designed the gardens there and the setting for the golf course -- he described a bit of a power struggle with Kyle Phillips over his strong theme for the place.  [You get just a taste of it if you look closely at that water hazard beyond the church pews bunker in your photo.]  Sr. Caruncho was a fascinating guy, and I came away very curious as to how the course would turn out -- it sounded like it would either be really cool, or a big miss.  But their web site shows very little about the golf course.

P.S.  What happened to the seaside course David Kidd was building there?  He had pictures of it under construction on his web site two or three years ago -- did you hear anything of it?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
I wasn't blown away by Al Maaden (toured but didn't play). Assoufid (played) I liked; they need to get their heads around the landscaping though, because at the moment it it feels like a golf course plonked down in its environment rather than being a part of it. But strategically and fun shots-wise, I enjoyed it. Nice piece of land too, but further out than most of the Marrakech projects, and feels more connected to the mountains.

Mazagan, however, is flat out excellent. Comfortably the best work I have seen by the Player firm. I worry about the greenkeeping, because when I was there it didn't play the way it looked. Crack that, though, and they will have something very special.

Tom D - David's Tagazhout project had some very serious financial issues, I heard talk of eye-watering amounts of debt. But I hear it is going again.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jim McCann

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
Tom

Here’s a couple of snaps with the water feature in view from the tee box of the 12th and 18th holes at Al Maaden. They are probably the two most surreal images I’ve ever taken on a golf course, actually!

Par three 12th with square green on the edge of the water:

Par four 18th played at an angle of 45 degrees across the edge of the "hazard"
(note too the amount of construction work going on in the background):

Incidentally, I sent Kyle Phillips an email four days ago asking him to confirm that he had had to compromise his design in order to bring Fernando Caruncho’s "features" into play but I’m still awaiting a reply.

I’ve just submitted an article for the course to Keith Baxter, the editor-in-chief at Top 100, for publication. Part of it reads:

“The Al Maaden course is, like all these new golfing projects, the centrepiece of a residential development that surrounds the perimeter of the course. It’s laid out on a rather flat landscape with fairways routed rather uniquely around a couple of geometric water features - one on either nine at holes 5, 6, 12 and 18 - that are intended to give golfers the feeling of playing through a Moroccan garden.”

My review of the course includes:

“I loved the holes from 13 to 17 where fairways enjoy some rolling movement but the holes immediately before and after this section left me somewhat perplexed. The par three 12th and par four 18th play across the edge of a series of large, square concrete walled structures (which retain water for irrigation) but I’m not sure if this very modern “art meets golf” concept really works. A similar aquatic arrangement at holes 5 and 6 didn’t exactly get my pulse racing either – then again, these “Moroccan garden” features (presumably from the drawing board of landscape gardener Fernando Caruncho) will certainly get people talking about the course, I’m sure!”

Adam

I’d contacted Guy Maxwell at Assoufid beforehand to arrange a visit but in the end, I didn’t have the time to see the course after playing at Amelkis the next day. If I’m ever back there, I’d also like to have a look at the new Nicklaus layout at Samanah.

Good shout for Gary Player’s Mazagan; it’s also on my Moroccan hitlist as I’ve heard very good reports from a number of people.

Overall, I was a little underwhelmed by the golf on offer in Marrakech – then again, I had been spoiled by playing a couple of days earlier in the Trophée Hassan II pro-am on RTJ’s wonderful Golf du Palais Royal course in Agadir – now THERE’s a good course in Morocco!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:18:56 AM by Jim McCann »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
Interestingly, Frank Henegan, who was the lead architect at Mazagan, doesn't work for the Player firm any more (presumably a victim of the downturn).
Adam Lawrence

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »
My wife and I played Dar Es Salaam Red.  We were vacationing in Spain and decided to make the trip just to play the course.  It had some very good holes, but overall I was disappointed.  We were more impressed with Tangier.

One funny thing happened at Dar Es Salaam.  Our caddies did not speed very much English and every time I hit a good shot my wife would say, "Good shot, Tommy."  After my wife hit a particularly good shot the caddies both exclaimed to her, "Good shot Tommy!!"  Ever since then it has been a standing joke with us and I will say, "Good shot Tommy!" when she hits a good one.

On a side not, I never felt such a green traveler as I did in Morocco.  After I tipped my caddie, at twice the recommend rate, he asked for more and a ride home.  Whenever we visited a site in Rabat there was always someone with a handout asking for cash to "protect the car". After a day of that I told them to bug off.  I even got a ticket for speeding when I was going under the speed limit.  I guess the police just randomly pick cars to ticket.
I can't say I am anxious to return.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:29:01 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Craig Sweet

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
Those water hazards look like waste treatment ponds...butt ugly!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
I'd also vouch for Mazagan.  The green complexes were the most compelling of any Player course I have seen -- a lot of movement -- and the conditioning was firm and fast from tee through green during my visit in late January.

As I recall, most holes featured fairly generous playing corridors but very little maintained rough...just narrow transition patches that crash into the local version of ice plant.  The recovery techniques mentioned in this thread should not be missed, in case of a wild day off the tee:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50938.0.html.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 04:04:31 AM »
Any one have any info on the DMK course thats was in construction in Morocco.  Pics of the site look pretty cool.

http://www.dmkgolfdesign.com/portfolio-taghazout.aspx

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:13:32 AM »
Derek - I referenced Tagazhout in my first reply in this thread
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 04:35:24 AM »
Morocco???? Westerners have to be nut cases to be heading to any Muslim country.  I was naive enough to make the trip last year to what has been a very quiet place in terms of terrorism.  Indeed, it all seemed very quiet while I was in Morocco.  A week later the restaurant I ate in twice was blown up!  Once nearly bitten twice very shy. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 04:59:44 AM »
Adam - Thanks, I missed that. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back