News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

This poor S.O.B.
« on: November 16, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »
 ???

Got a great member , good player (4 handicap) generous to help , lots of golf talent .  This poor S.O.B. is the most unlucky player I've ever seen.  Crazy shit , crazy !   Hits it good most days , putts great but never gets a good bounce , never .  I play with him a lot and he tries so hard that you just root for him even if he might beat you for some quid.  However , if we toss balls invariably his partner plays awful . Three out of the last four times I've been paired with him his opponent shot the lowest round of their life. It's like Eddy the mush  reincarnated .

What can you possible say, when I tell you it's unbelievable how unlucky he is I'm not kidding . If I taped it you just wouldn't believe it .  Makes Greg Norman and Sergio look luckier than the bishop,in caddy shack .  Figured that sooner or later it wold end but if today is any indication the  guy is golfs version of JOB.  Never have I seen anything remotely like it after watching golf for fifty years .
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:16:58 AM by archie_struthers »

JMEvensky

Re: This poor S.O.B.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 07:39:18 PM »
You should've played better  ;D .

Great story Archie-- hope all is well.

Pat Burke

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »
No offense, but my friends call bad breaks Burkies

I've lived it

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:29:27 PM »
Tough duty, playing golf and all.

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 08:51:45 PM »
It's much easier to be lucky hitting bad shots (I know).

Tell him to hit more bad shots and his luck should turn around!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »
If he was I. My game we would call him "Cooler"
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 12:26:29 AM »
I knew there was some poor slob out there to off set all my lucky breaks. Tell him thanks.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:26:15 AM »
 8)  Does he like to discuss gca???  Loan him some reading material... Either it'd distract him and get him to smile more or put him over the edge... and end his so-called misery.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

archie_struthers

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 07:37:40 AM »
 8)

It's funny that my earlier opinions on architecture were much more enamored of fairness. Now quirk and  random bunkering appeal so much more .  Thinking this thru it might even even out the scoring curve . Oops there I go thinking of fairness and equality .

Gonna sneak a rabbits foot in my buddies bag and think good thoughts the next time he tees it up ! If nothing else will commiserate with him until it passes.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 02:24:10 AM »
I am often reminded of:

"I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet” means that, while one can despair about one’s wealth or situation, there is always someone poorer or less fortunate"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 06:50:30 AM »
 8)

Cary ,  when I struggled with my putting years ago and wasn't real good at handling the situation input like yours  were reality checks for me.  Eventually I found a solution.  However I must admit that it was close to maddening.

I've seen examples of golfers who have some forms of the yips that  drove them out of the game . As a promotor and owner of a club , we don't want to  lose anyone who wants and loves to play. So whenever you hear we are losing a player it bothers me .  I've seen great players lose their game and its painful to watch. So if you listen and try to help hang in there with  them  its a win/win. Gofl isn't like eating or breathing , that have other options
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:54:02 AM by archie_struthers »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Archie:

Well, contemplate this. Life throws you curve balls and both me and my wife, avid golfers no longer can play, bad surgery and radiation from esophageal cancer making bones brittle.

Every time I am in NY and I see a beggar without a limb I dig deep into my pocket to help out.

Yips is awful, but
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

archie_struthers

Re: This poor S.O.B. New
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »
 :'(

Cary , so sorry for your pain . Knew you couldn't play any more . So tough for someone who loves the  game as we know you do!

Life throws us so many curves. In the last month have lost one of my best friends and my sister , both unexpectedly. Miss them every day !

I was really embarrassed that I broke a couple clubs the other day while shooting 76 , which many never shoot . Sure it's stupid and selfish , probably why I started this thread. However , if I can help my buddy enjoy his golf and keep him with us it's a priority . Not the biggest certainly , but it still matters .

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:53:02 AM by archie_struthers »

JESII

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »
Brother...you have to lie to this guy!

You have to get out front on a few holes and tell him how great a bounce he got here...watch a putt that goes in and comment on the little bounce that helped it...even a mediocre lie in the rough should be pointed out as "workable" or "a great break".

It's all perception...

Trust me, I catch every freaking red light in Montgomery County PA...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back