News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike McGuire

Re: Marketing 9-Hole Courses
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
I would concentrate on building a membership around your core customers.

Too many clubs focus on how many bodies can we get to write a check. This sounds good and works within the budgetary atmosphere that we all work under.  The successful clubs build a MEMBERSHIP around a theme or connection. If the connection is superficial, cheap or deal of the year, etc... you will always struggle.

Bring in your core group for a pow-wow. Ask their opinion, get them to buy in and get out of the way.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:48:54 PM by Mike McGuire »

Tom ORourke

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 10:37:31 PM »
I have been a member at a 9 hole course in southern New Jersey for 20 years, Moorestown Field Club. We have made some changes lately on our marketing. No initiation fee. Cheaper dues than the 18 hole courses. We do not have tee times, you never need to take a cart. We have a thriving tennis membership that has helped. Here is an area that does not hurt us - we have a lot of members who retired and then joined. That older group is looking for fees they can handle in their retirement. They also play 9 holes as much as they play 18. The course was built in 1892. We have 9 holes and 10 greens with different tees so you just do not play 9 holes twice. About 20 minutes away is Merchantville Golf Club, another 9 hole course built in 1892. We have done some work aligning with each other. We have some good reciprocal agreements so even though you join one 9 hole course you can play some at the second course so you get variety. We have a good junior program as well, but the key factor is cost. In this economy there is a bit of a market for a 9 hole course if you are still getting a private course in the Philadelphia Golf Association at a significantly cheaper rate than an 18 hole course. Especially for retirees and young couples who do not want to, or can not, pay $10,000 to $25,000 initiation fees. You are probably not going to attract the well to do professionals to a 9 hole course but there are good markets out there that fit the bill.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

Tom O': I think we fit in pretty well on the dues and initiation fees in our market, and are right on with the cart and tee times, too.  Reciprocal agreements are something worth looking into, for us. As a semi-private, that will be an interesting discussion.  You are in a market with a much higher base than ours, but it sounds like you have made a conscious effort to fit in within that structure.  Entering year 130 you must be doing a lot right!

Mike: That's a great point about not foisting a new marketing concept onto the club, and listening to the core that is there.  I certainly hope that I don't make that mistake, after-all, I'm the newbie, and enthusiasm without buy-in is a net negative.

Don: I really need to get my clubs to Canada! Yours is a good point about making the basics work and let the rest take care of itself.  That's one I'll need to remind myself of....

Ken: Sounds like an interesting setup.  Agreed that "too many" isn't the challenge we face, either.  I was told our total footprint is about 35 acres, which is small, but also means that sitting in the clubhouse the entire course is there in front of you, and it's quite lovely.  We do have some interesting 2nd tees, but in playing armchair architect, not sure there are many additional tee sites that wouldn't bring other tees and greens (more) into play.  Making those kind of changes are beyond what we are talking about now, though.  We do have some outings, and as a semi-private, we also close to the course for just the members at times, like for the member-guest, on weekends no less.  With no tee times, the double tee time problem isn't quite the problem, but you make a good point that the second nine at a lower rate comes out of the till.  You can't fight the math: 9 hole courses just don't have the same inventory of 18 hole rounds as the 18 holers.

Carson: sounds like you fell into a great situation.  I don't see us joining forces with an 18-hole course, but I guess that is something to consider.  I think many of our members fall in love with our course, too, probably for many of the same reasons you have.  We do a great job of manicuring the course, though it's not Augusta, certainly.  The rough isn't too high, the fairways hold the ball up, and the greens run true. 

Mark: Practice facilities do add a lot to any membership, as we all sometimes just want to work on our game.  We have four sets of tees, mens and womens, front and back 9.  That seems to work for now.  And a 4 handicap is about what the club champion plays.  Me, I'm closer to the 40 :-)

Thanks everyone, lots of good stuff.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back