News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Connor

Practice Facility Golf Club
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »
The super cool Dormie practice facility thread
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50913.0.html
gave me an idea.

This seems super fun to play and offers lots of variety.

Given the cost of land and the time commitment to playing golf that I lack (with a young one), I would love to be a member at a "club" that had this as it's sole practice area (with also a range + putting / short game greens).

Rounds would be 90 minutes and have tons of variety.

Rather than Mike's Disney club idea.  Do others think a Golf Club of this nature would work.

Another complaint is that many areas have lots of different fine clubs or public courses that it's hard to join one club and be 'monogamous'.  A smaller membership fee here would make it easier to justify playing other local clubs for variety.

Thoughts?

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: Practice Facility Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »
The evolution of the driving range will continue as markets are identified. I think there are markets for a higher quality range/short courses than has been built in the past.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
I would be all over something like that. I would love the practice facility at Dallas National with a bigger putting green.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »
Jason,

It does sound like an attractive idea for those who are pressed for time and looking for some stability in their golf at the right price.

Prairie Landing, a public course in the area, has an impressive practice facility that includes a two hole practice loop and extensive short game course between the first green and second tee (of practice course). They do offer practice memberships that include free golf on the regular course in the late afternoons. I don't want to provide too much free advertising for them so if you would like you can check out the details on their website.

It would be interesting to see if a stand alone facility such as this would survive and thrive. We have heard, many times on this site, that the time and $ constraints of golf and primarily private club membership are impediments to participation. I know that many ranges and practice centers offer memberships at reasonable prices, but you would think a little more "real golf" would be very attractive to a lot of players...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:43:38 PM by Matthew Sander »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
Who do so many call this a practice facility
It is a golf course
I would play here once a week if it were nearby
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:37 PM »
Mike so would I. However a short course does not tend to meet the accepted definition of a golf course. I think that is in effect where the evolution will occur. There should be and likely will be again as markets are found and people find a way to make a profit from a 1 to 1.5 hour golf experience. I call it practice because that is the purpose to me. It would be a place to work on my game and have a enjoyable quick nine to cap off the work. I am guessing that eight out of ten times I would just be on the range and short game facility rather than play the short course. There will be challenges to making them interesting enough to complete with a longer course.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »
Are we certain?

Does a short course make golf more fun? Don't bad golfers still make bad swings?

What makes a short course/practice facility more enticing than a long course?

If golfers head to a practice facility, for what are they practicing, if not a long course?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
Having developed and operated such a facility, I can attest that there is a place for them.  In fact our 9-hole course and range evolved into a golf academy with a 9-hole course.  We expanded our all-grass range tee from 30 to 45 stations, added 2 more practice greens, a short game area and chipping/pitching green, 4 practice bunkers (0-7' deep) and an 18-hole bentgrass miniture golf course (modeled after Muirfield).  In winter, we cleared out the dining room and converted it to indoor training.  After 15 years, we had hundreds of students each year.
The course started out as a par 34 (3-3's & 1-5) But we found the market called it an "executive" course.  We later stretched it to a par 35 (with 2-5's) and then it became a "real" course.  We also added an extra tee to each hole (4) and put out Jr. markers - years before Tee It Forward came out.  The key was,, although the course was on the short side, we treated all the green complexes as we would for any course and our super maintained them just like the private club he came from.  In fact, we were the place to go on Mondays when your private club was closed.  Heck, we even had guys bring there own caddies.
Tomake something like this work, you would need abour $1 million in annual income.  How you get there is up to you.
Coasting is a downhill process

Mark Woodger

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
tim where is the facility you speak of?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back