News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: And we wonder what is wrong with modern Game of Golf
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »

Clearly I did not know you as an Australian, so that leaves me to apologise to another great country for my comment.

“dime store psychological theory” – I thought the list of  the dead in one of the war zones would have you showing a little more respect, but then it is not your friends that are suffering for their loss  ‘dime store psychological theory’. I’ll pass on your comment to the father of a dead Marine killed for defending the lie, as it was his words “My son killed for the failure of a father on his original commitment to war leaving it to his son to use the excuse of WMD – the non-existing WMD to go to war”.

The follies Anthony of going off topic.

As for you Bill, practice what you preach seems to come to mind as your comment “It's a good thing your great country was able to steer clear of that fiasco. Well done sir” does not come across as ‘to remind you that our best ally was right there with us’, in fact the opposite.

It now seems to be a requirement to be a mind reader on this site.

Melvyn

Terry Lavin

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »
But for the bitter and blind, the irony in Bill's statement is easy to see. No need for others to remind us of the idiocy of George W. Bush's folly; most right thinking Americans are ashamed of these "wars" and are also saddened that others like Tony Blair were duped and drawn into the conflict.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Anthony Butler

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »

Clearly I did not know you as an Australian, so that leaves me to apologise to another great country for my comment.

“dime store psychological theory” – I thought the list of  the dead in one of the war zones would have you showing a little more respect, but then it is not your friends that are suffering for their loss  ‘dime store psychological theory’. I’ll pass on your comment to the father of a dead Marine killed for defending the lie, as it was his words “My son killed for the failure of a father on his original commitment to war leaving it to his son to use the excuse of WMD – the non-existing WMD to go to war”.

Well, I'm glad I don't have to apologize for being Australian and I'm certainly not in the business of apologizing for either George Bush ... as I recall however, your Prime Minister at the time was 'boots in' on the folly of the Iraq War...

Unlike George Bush, who according to your theory was driven by issues that should have been worked out with a good psychologist before running for President, Tony Blair's motivation was pure political expedience... So while you expect Americans to apologize for the Iraq War, can we expect a mea culpa on providing the appearance of international legitimacy for a folly that cost several hundred British lives?

Australia, having seen what it is to support another country's folly with the lives of their citizens (e.g. Gallipoli) was at least smart enough to limit their involvement to running the flight schedules and establishing a safe perimeter around Baghdad Airport.

Can we at least return to the original topic... bashing every course that was not designed by Old Tom Morris and a flock of willing sheep?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:51:47 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »

Anthony

As for Blair, what do you expect, a 100 years ago he would have been shipped to Australia for his crimes again humanity. I leave you to ponder the irony of that one.

As for Old Tom courses, let’s talk, lets bash his designs if you want, I am happy to talk about the pre 1905 courses. You start, so list the courses and name the problems and yes let’s have a good debate on GCA.

In closing did you know he (Old Tom) declined travelling to Australia to design Royal Melbourne course due to his age. Also another great, great grandson of Old Tom is an Australian, the marine artist Ian Hanson (a cousin) http://www.kevinhillstopten.com.au/ian-hansen-artist.php. There are a dozen Morris’ too living out there but they travelled out by paying their fare and not thanks to Her Majesty’s Pleasure.

Melvyn   

Anthony Butler

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »

Anthony

As for Blair, what do you expect, a 100 years ago he would have been shipped to Australia for his crimes again humanity. I leave you to ponder the irony of that one.

As for Old Tom courses, let’s talk, lets bash his designs if you want, I am happy to talk about the pre 1905 courses. You start, so list the courses and name the problems and yes let’s have a good debate on GCA.

In closing did you know he (Old Tom) declined travelling to Australia to design Royal Melbourne course due to his age. Also another great, great grandson of Old Tom is an Australian, the marine artist Ian Hanson (a cousin) http://www.kevinhillstopten.com.au/ian-hansen-artist.php. There are a dozen Morris’ too living out there but they travelled out by paying their fare and not thanks to Her Majesty’s Pleasure.

Melvyn   

Butler is an Irish name and my Australian ancestors also arrived under their own recognizance in the late 1880s... For some reason my in-laws have been researching my family tree... before establishing themselves as landed gentry in Ireland, the Butlers were apparently considered to be 'Norman swine'.

I have a medical condition called called Depuytren's Contracture which my hand surgeon tells me is only found in people of Gallic and Celtic heritage who's female relatives were at some time taken advantage of by a pillaging Viking... My grandfather on my mother's side was in the Norwegian Merchant Marine, but I think the hand doc was referring to when Scandanavians used to take clubs on 'dates', not take their dates to a club.

Probably a good idea that Old Tom did not travel to Australia... He probably would have stayed.
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back