News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

WSJ on the 2016 Olympics course
« on: January 27, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »
John Paul Newport previews the upcoming decision on the design of the 2016 Olympics course, which is expected by the end of next week.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203718504577182863365944898.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLETopMiniLeadStory

Highlights...

Timing: "Final, 45-minute presentations to the selection jury on Tuesday and Wednesday."

Siite: "The lower part is a mangrove forest and the rest has only modest elevation changes. But it abuts a lagoon only a few hundred yards from the coast and is on sandy soil, which facilitates drainage and reduces construction costs.

Jury: "The jury comprises representatives from Rio 2016, the city of Rio, the company that will run the course after 2016 and the International Golf Federation."

Criteria -- or lack thereof: "The jury hasn't publicly stated its criteria, except that after the Olympics the course must be operated as a public facility with a teaching academy."

Frontrunner: "...some golf observers suspect there's a front-runner: Mr. Nicklaus, primarily for political reasons. The Golden Bear was one of the earliest and most vocal advocates for golf as an Olympic sport, and in making his bid he shrewdly teamed with Annika Sorenstam, the former longtime women's world No. 1 (and a European to boot, adding international appeal). That she is a woman is also a positive since separate fields of 60 men and 60 women, including the game's top pro stars, will compete on the course in the Olympics."

Don't underestimate...: "It's entirely possible, of course, that political and promotional considerations qualify as cynical overthinking.... This might play into the hands of the younger names among the finalists. Mr. Doak and Gil Hanse, both Americans, are best known for crafting quirky, inexpensive courses with wider fairways, funhouse green complexes and an emphasis on giving golfers multiple options. The eighth finalist, Martin Hawtree of England—he's building Donald Trump's new links course in Scotland—works in a similar style. Their courses ... require less maintenance. That could sit well with the IGF representatives on the jury, who hope to impress upon the world how accessible and sustainable golf can be, contrary to its elitist popular image."

GCA quotes:  
" 'Ideally what you'd want,' said one of the contending architects, 'is a course that would deliver the kind of thrilling finale that Augusta National traditionally serves up at the Masters.' "

Mr. Doak, speaking more generally about the competition, said via email, " 'It's a rare chance to define (or redefine) what a great championship course is supposed to be, on a very big stage.' "

Tom, safe travels and good luck.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

Re: WSJ on the 2016 Olympics course
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
best quote: "funhouse green complexes"...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
I read the article this morning. It didn't reveal too much we all didn't already know already, but entertaining regardless. Howard does a great job above summarizing the key points. Good luck to Tom Doak and his team down in Brazil next week!
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
Good luck to Tom Doak and his team down in Brazil next week!

Especially since I'm getting 3-1 on Tom or Gil getting it!  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Snap.

"Funhouse" greens cannot be a compliment....that was messed up!

Of course Jack does plenty of the same, interesting it wasn't attributed to him...  ::)

Randy Thompson

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »
Kalen,
Jack doesn´t take risk, he lets other do things out of the box and if they catch on and are hot, then he follows: He goes where the sunshines, he follows and does not lead and it a formula that has produced mucho $´s!

Jim Colton

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »
This is absolutely here nor there, but I was reading the USA Today this morning on an early morning flight and their front-page story about traveler airport debacles w/ TSA, flight attendants, etc had a quote from Bill Coore's wife.

Re: the Olympic course, I know I am a merryman, but I'm beginning to think that Renaissance will pull off the upset. Anybody else feel this way?

Do we know anything about the company that is going to run the course after the Olympics? Will they decide on a straight vote by each member of the jury (perhaps narrowing down the candidates one by one like how the host cities are chosen)?

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »
Jim,

I agree.  Particularly if Tom's pitch that this is a real opportunity to influence the future of golf, and tournament golf, strikes a chord with the committee.  Could add some much needed luster to the Olympics and take some attention away from judging, doping and political scandals...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
Let's stop discussing it until we get the news. No sense in getting people amped without ammo.

This reminds me of middle school and the kids who would say "dude, you're going to win/get the girl/make the team" with absolutely no credible evidence to support their sucking-up.

I'm more interested in the article...since when did golf qualify as an ancient game? I've always found Royal and Ancient to be a misnomer...ancient conjures up stuff before 1000 a.d. in my mind.

Love the Augusta mention...17 and 18 are hardly thrilling to me...the thrill takes place from holes 11-16, not entirely the finale.

Isn't this a one-and-done site? Unless the new PGA Tour Latino/Salsa makes a Samba stop, we won't see the Oly course in the news after 2016.

Lower part is mangrove forest...interesting...what do you do with that?

Upper part is ... undefined. Can't John Paul do better than that? Can't he dig a bit and learn what the basic landscape is along the upper section?

Do you think that the WSJ is pimping four bids? How is it that they couldn't find photos of Doak, Hanse, Hawtree or Thompson? Instead, they show two photos each from the "he said, she said" teams.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »
Howard - you're like a one man golf news feed.  Keep them rolling.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
We all know who the front-runners are in this 'competition'. The dark horse in the field I think is Peter Thomson and his team.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »
We all know who the front-runners are in this 'competition'. The dark horse in the field I think is Peter Thomson and his team.

I would think Martin Hawtree is the dark horse?   

To me, I'm not going to be surprised with the winner.  I just hope it's a fair and level playing field and the winner chosen has the best plan.  I'm hoping for the best but I'm also expecting the worst.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »
Based on the cover art of the piece I'm holding out for Jeff Brauer.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »

Thanks, Sven. I'm a news fiend in general. I'll continue to plug away as long as I'm filling a need.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »

Thanks, Sven. I'm a news fiend in general. I'll continue to plug away as long as I'm filling a need.

Howard, I was worried when I followed you on Twitter that you would clog my feed...But if Twitter was TMobile you would be in my cirle.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

JNC Lyon

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 10:40:35 PM »
Kalen,
Jack doesn´t take risk, he lets other do things out of the box and if they catch on and are hot, then he follows: He goes where the sunshines, he follows and does not lead and it a formula that has produced mucho $´s!

Say what you will about courses like Dismal River and May River, but the Nicklaus team took several risks at both of these courses.  This was particularly true at Dismal River (the par three 10th is exhibit, and the first six holes are close behind).  Those two golf courses greatly changed my perspective on Jack Nicklaus courses.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »
Well I will hope Tom or whoever gets the job serves the game well. Or should I say is allowed to do his job well.

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »

I'll continue to plug away as long as I'm filling a need.

Is this a quote from the AVN Awards?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 08:18:10 AM »
"Eight of the biggest names in golf design" ?  ?  ?  ?

Are you kidding me ?

Obviously, the author, whom I like, was appealing to a broad, non-GCA oriented audience, and certainly not this crowd.

I can see three maybe four making it to the finals, but those eight ?

I should have called TEPaul for a joint venture and thrown our hat in the ring. ;D

Yikes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back