News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: The role of boasting in golf and on this site.
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »
John:
Let's hope your boasting doesn't include posting topless pictures of yourself on GCA.  Seems to be a trend we should quash in its infancy.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
OT - George, Henry Nouwen was a catholic priest and theologian who I think wrote quite openly about his life long struggle with depression and the challenge it proved to (and was managed/overcome by) his faith.  For a period he lived at a L'Arche community near Toronto, working with the severely challenged/learning disabled adults who made their home there at the centre established by Jean Vanier.  It was there that he developed a deeper understanding of the true and immeasurable worth of each human life.  And talking about boasting - I think the only thing I ever heard Jean Vanier 'boast' about was, in his own words, his 'broken-ness' -- a suffering and broken-ness that allowed him to relate more compassionately to other 'broken' people.  

Peter

PCCraig

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
"Boasting" has become extremely tiring here on GCA, what with the "20XX Wish List" "20XX Recap" etc. threads. I'm happy for many on here that get to play great golf courses, but I'm more happy to discuss them and wish that more people used them as springboards into discussion when appropriate. Everyone wants to play great golf courses, that shouldn't be news or worth my time to read. I generally skip over any comments relating to golf shots or scores the same way I do when people start recapping their rounds shot-for-shot.

One thread which I found disgusting was the "Whip it out" thread where people posted their personal Top 25 courses played. That thread served no other purpose other than to, well, whip "it" out. 

H.P.S.

Scott Warren

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 03:56:25 PM »
Jud -- Some of us just don't like playing somewhere special alone. I've turned that down before and I'll probably do it again.

That's not boasting, just personal preference. I value the experience and camaraderie of sharing a round like that with someone.

The boasting on this site is not as annoying to me as the bullying.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2011, 04:19:46 PM »
Perhaps it's the educator...If I discuss a course I've played, it's not to tell you how farking sweet I am, but because there was SOMETHING about the place that I want you to know, as you will appreciate it. The manner in which I attempt to communicate this material is neither coy nor boastful, simply informative.

Presumption is, the audience is not the all-time d-bag who truly deserves to be handed a laundry list of the best courses you've played and he has not. In that case, go Aaron Rodgers on him with this quote from St. Francis of Assisi:

"‘Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.’ "

http://www.bagofnothing.com/2011/12/interesting-aaron-rodgers-quote-about-his-faith/
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
"Boasting" has become extremely tiring here on GCA, what with the "20XX Wish List" "20XX Recap" etc. threads. I'm happy for many on here that get to play great golf courses, but I'm more happy to discuss them and wish that more people used them as springboards into discussion when appropriate. Everyone wants to play great golf courses, that shouldn't be news or worth my time to read. I generally skip over any comments relating to golf shots or scores the same way I do when people start recapping their rounds shot-for-shot.

One thread which I found disgusting was the "Whip it out" thread where people posted their personal Top 25 courses played. That thread served no other purpose other than to, well, whip "it" out. 

Agreed.  But now that I think about it, I "whipped it out".  Damn, I hate hypocrisy, especially in myself!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mac Plumart

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
"‘Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.’ "

Thank you John Kavanaugh for starting this thread.  If I got nothing else from it, I got this quote.  Ron, thanks for sharing it.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

PThomas

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »

As Mac would say:

BOOM

Nope. That's Becker.

Mac would say, BLAMMO! or KAPOW!

i just got my first BOOM from Becker yesterday!

Did it make you feel dirty?  That's how I felt.

BOOM!!!!

I havent met Jonathan, but he seems like a pretty clean guy to me..
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2011, 04:27:15 PM »
Based on some of the previous comments in this thread....I can only surmise there are several who didin't appreciate something like this, nor feel complete joy for this quality GCA'er!

In sharing his experience, he made the following post round comments:

"I was given the gift of joyful wonderment"
"I was as gullible, surprised, and shocked as I hope all of you will be when a “golf dream” comes true."
"I will be eternally and graciously grateful to those who participated in creating this opportunity"

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39817.0/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »
George Pazin wrote, "Mr. Nouwen obviously isn't aware of the self-esteem movement of the last couple decades."

Peter told you something of Nouwen.  He also taught at Yale and lived with the poor in South America.  He did indeed struggle with depression.  He found the most joy in living at L'Arche with the mentally challenged.   

I think Nouwen would make a distinction between "claiming your belovedness" and self esteem.  They are two different things.  Self esteem is sometimes based on what you accomplish.  If you no longer accomplish what happens to your self esteem?  Sometimes it is misplaced egoism.  Belovedness is not based on what you accomplish nor the mere fact that I am human but on being a child of God.  Belovedness is also something you share.  As Nouwen would put it, we are to be given to the world to help others claim their belovedness.  We are to live out our belovedness in service to others. 

My congregation, along with neighboring congregations, houses homeless men and women in the winter months.  It is my hope that when  they leave our church they feel as though they are precious in the sight of God and beloved brothers and sisters of our members. I tell my folks to treat them as honored guests.

I really don't like putting on my pastor hat on this site, so please take this in the spirit in which it was given.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »
I can say I am genuinely interested in hearing about a great shot or a great golf experience and what made them great. That said I would rather get a root canal in a third world country than listen to a hole by hole recap of anybody`s round. If the recounter thinks that you are not bored to tears by the 3rd hole then think again. Golf is a pursuit that carries plenty of machismo for some and thus boasting is an inherent part of the process. To me boasting is not as bad as topping. An example would be someone saying that they played x when you said you played y and obviously x is better. The topper usually played x 10 times if you played it once or shot 70 if you shot 75. You see what I am getting at. Although I really don`t care about a thread like the Top 25 Whip it Out one way or the other I always marvel at the guys with only a small number of posts who come out of the woodwork to rattle their swords.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:54:45 PM by Tim Martin »

George Pazin

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »
I really don't like putting on my pastor hat on this site, so please take this in the spirit in which it was given.

Thanks again. You might not like it, but I do. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Warren

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
Tim M,

A hole-by-hole recap of someone's round? I'd rather hear about "this amazing dream I had last night", and that's saying a lot!

A particular shot, or shots, they encountered and why they were interesting or difficult? That's a different story.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »

Pat I get what you are trying to say and understand why some see it only as boasting or self promoting but I disagree with the statement that the top 25 courses thread has no purpose.  I think it was one of the first few posts I made because I figured it was a good introduction (I know some people start an introduction thread...I've also read some of the get to know you threads).  I think how someone ranks their top 25 tells you a bit about what they value in a golf course.  Obviously it doesn't tell the whole story but I think it gives a pretty good idea.

Jim Colton

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »

This coming from a guy who I once heard drop Cypress Point, Pine Valley and Merion in the same (run-on) sentence!

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »

Pat I get what you are trying to say and understand why some see it only as boasting or self promoting but I disagree with the statement that the top 25 courses thread has no purpose.  I think it was one of the first few posts I made because I figured it was a good introduction (I know some people start an introduction thread...I've also read some of the get to know you threads).  I think how someone ranks their top 25 tells you a bit about what they value in a golf course.  Obviously it doesn't tell the whole story but I think it gives a pretty good idea.

I am with Joe particularly for the guys who didn't worry so much about "best".  I learn a lot about which people to take advice from in posts like this.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

PCCraig

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2011, 07:06:23 PM »

This coming from a guy who I once heard drop Cypress Point, Pine Valley and Merion in the same (run-on) sentence!

Considering the likely context, at a Chicago GCA event, hopefully my "run on" sentence wasn't too far out of bounds. I'm sorry if I was off base?
H.P.S.

Jim Colton

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »

Considering the likely context, at a Chicago GCA event, hopefully my "run on" sentence wasn't too far out of bounds. I'm sorry if I was off base?

Just giving you grief PC, I didn't find it to be "disgusting". I think we're all guilty of this to some extent.

Jud_T

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »

I am with Joe particularly for the guys who didn't worry so much about "best".  I learn a lot about which people to take advice from in posts like this.

Ciao

Sean,

I agree completely.  I find the relative course rankings much more interesting than what the courses themselves were.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:37:03 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Garland Bayley

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »

Best post you've ever made! Are you sure someone else doesn't have your login details? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »
I remember playing with Jack nicklaus at St Andrews once , when ion the 18th tee he gave me some great advice...Michael,,never get into the trap of name dropping or boasting...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
I remember playing with Jack nicklaus at St Andrews once , when ion the 18th tee he gave me some great advice...Michael,,never get into the trap of name dropping or boasting...

LOL
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
You know that thing that Hogan figured out, that one plane swing and famous 'secret' that set him on the way to becoming the best ball-striker in history? Well, who in the hell do you think it was TAUGHT him all that, way back in the late 40s, early 50s?   

It would've been a lot sooner too, but it took him years to pull me and Jimmy Demaret away from the cocktail waitresses we were serenading two at a time.

Peter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
George Pazin says: "Read JC Jones' posts and think about them, don't dismiss them."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back