News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

The Gathering Bunker and Drainage?
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:06:18 PM »
Some of the great bunkers suck the ball into them if it goes any near it. I'd guess this means that the surrounding land also drains into the bunker.

What does this mean for the life of the bunker and bunker sand? Sand changed more often? Bunker firms up quicker?

Should the draining water be deflected away from the bunker or will this reduce the effectiveness of the bunker to magically attract the ball? Is there a way around this?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bradley Anderson

Re: The Gathering Bunker and Drainage?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:34:19 PM »
It seems like those kinds of bunkers are only found on golf courses that are built on sandy well drained soil. If you were to build one of those on clay based type soil you would not want it to collect too much terrain or the water flowing in to it could definitely be a problem.

Jeff_Mingay

Re: The Gathering Bunker and Drainage?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »
Drainage is obviously paramount, of course. But I've talked to some very well-known and well-respected designers who don't worry about this so much. I've even seen some great courses where bunkers have been used to intercept water from heading somewhere else, ie across a green at the base of a hill.

Perhaps I've even designed and built one  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back