News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

scott wood

Re: GolfClubsByTomFazioGetRippedInThisAtlas.Com
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2002, 11:14:46 AM »
lots of different people at riviera, but the bunnies are in the short slice
position off the 14 the tee at LACC

...not even shaq could look over the fence,(not that he plays LACC much, i would assume)
but for those who might be interested, barbi benton, the ex of hugh,
reportedly lives adjacent to the bunny mansion and doesn't have a fence.

so much for the non golf aside......

:P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

John Foley

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2002, 12:33:05 PM »
Tommy,

That was brilliant. Your description fits so many people I know & play w/ (& MOST of us know & play with). It may be more symptamatic of the Calif lifestyyle (No & So) than anything else. (Not stricktly California, but more there than anywhere else).  I remeber years ago when I lived in Silicon Valley, I always felt that one upsman pressure. Gotta have the great car, the great gal, the great job the great everything. Once you can figure out that you don't NEED any of that to be happy what a relief!!!. It's all about what makes you truly, deeply happy. A round of golf, a great conversation w/ a friend, a smile. Everyone needs to find thier own way of being happy. Some think that it's every brand club, the expense account & rounds at Pelican Hill. But it's not.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Jackson

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2002, 12:39:58 PM »
Tim

Just trying, again, to understand my friend Mr. Nacarrato's juxtaposition of views depending on which course or architect is being discussed.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2002, 12:43:16 PM »
Thanks John. It's great to see they get it in New York, but sad that they don't get it in Cleveland. Maybe a little too close to the heart of the matter.

Shooter is also to be credited. He is the one that came up with the classic statment of Fazio-style architecture....West Coast that is!:) (leaving out Shadow Creek for the time being)

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2002, 01:36:44 PM »
Tommy:

What don't we get in Cleveland?

I'm just not so overwhelmed by the La La Land experience that I think that is the whole world.

Anyway, I was hoping you would tell me about that Mackenzie basher who plays Sharp Park, but has never seen Pasatiempo or the Valley Club.  Do you think he is qualified to comment so much on the Good Doctor's work?
Tim Weiman

Bill Wright

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2002, 02:22:04 PM »
To all who posted on this thread (or on other threads, George Pazin) that my hinting there is a bias against Fazio in this Discussion Group was misguided and uninformed, don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions.

Reread the "balance" from some of the posts to this thread, and my sarcasm is not directed toward Tim Weiman, who has made some very good points on this thread and others.  

What I've concluded from reading some of these "balanced (!)" and "knowledgeable (!)" posts is that Tom Fazio is the "California lifestyle" personified in golf architecture!

Don't stereotype Californians and don't stereotype the architect.  You only make yourself look ignorant by so doing.  Form your opinions of golf courses as you do people, one at a time based on first-hand experience.

I apologize for pontificating but I'm pissed off by the short-sightedness.

We've got some people critiqueing "The Faz" and "The King" without playing ANY of the ten courses I originally listed, or several others that others have cited as representative of his best work.

My conclusion is that an architect can be very good at designing original courses and not as good tinkering with the classics.  That's my take on Tom Fazio.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2002, 04:33:02 PM »
John Mc Millan,

Sometimes the movies glorify, magnify and distort reality.

On a membership owned and run golf course, I have rarely seen those items you reference.  They seem to be more prevalent at residential or non'member owned semi private to public courses, and most of the time inserted for perceived marketing impact, but again, my frame of reference may be limited.

jim_lewis

« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2002, 04:58:35 PM »
Bill Wright:

I don't know who you are or where you live, but if you are ever in Pinehurst, I would like to buy you a beer. Why don't you  shuck the "guest" thing and become a full time member of this group if self-appointed experts?

"Crusty" Jim Lewis
Often wrong, never in doubt.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back