News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Fishers Island (the East Coast Cypress Point)
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:23 AM »
Tim,

2 and 10 at Royal St George's and 3 and 13 at NSWGC warrant comparison with 3 and 10 at Fishers.

Six wonderful skyline greens right there (though some more "skyline" than others).

Tim Martin

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
Tim,

2 and 10 at Royal St George's and 3 and 13 at NSWGC warrant comparison with 3 and 10 at Fishers.

Six wonderful skyline greens right there (though some more "skyline" than others).

Scott-Thanks for the quick answer and what is really impressive is that you had to be on three different continents to experience them. Nice! :)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »
I will freely admit to a Flynn bias. I just think there is too much "squaring off" of natural features that seem to want to flow .
YIKES

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2011, 10:43:44 PM »
Brian,
If #2 at Fishers had been designed by say Donald Ross,Travis, or Leeds, and was not called Redan, what would you think of the hole?
Do you think the hole is forced, or just the name?

Jeff,

I think that's a great point.

One of the problems inherent in templates is the comparative analysis.

A hole can be an outstanding hole, but, if it doesn't mirror "THE" template of templates, is it undersevingly cast as inferior or weak ?

I happen to like the hole.

Is it the equal of NGLA, North Berwick, Piping Rock ?

Why does it have to be ?

Why can't it be just a good hole in the setting it's been placed in ?

Hard to imagine better sites for # 4 and # 5, they're all world by any standard.
And # 6 transitions you from one shore to the other as it traverses interesting mid-island terrain.

I could play Fishers Island every day for the rest of my life and never tire of it.

Is that the ultimate test for a golf course ?

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 04:08:24 AM »
I keep going back to these and other pix of Fishers (in the same way I can stare at pis of Eastward Ho!).  I am struggling to get a sense of the flow, but highs and lows in tempo look to be present.  The course looks fantastic and reminds me a ton of NGLA.  Maybe thats more about the vegetation and setting moreso than the design, but there is a certain similarity.

Mayday

I used to be in your camp.  Kington cured me of that ailment.  Take some medicine - it will be okay in the morning.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tom MacWood

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 06:46:45 AM »
MM
The course looks more squared off in the aerials than it does on the ground. The great natural features and wild topography are what really stands out.

I would agree the course is near the top of the MacRaynor courses for me too, but I prefer NGLA and Yale, although if asked which of those courses I would prefer to play the rest of my life I'd put FI ahead of Yale, but behind the NGLA.

JWinick

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
Last month, we played Creek, National, Shinneock, Plainfield, Essex County, Bethpage, and the 36 at Fishers remains my highlight.   I can think of just two indifferent holes on the course - 13 and 15.   13 is a an approach shot over water with a view of the ocean and 15 is really a long par four with an interesting tee shot.  As a five, it offers little interest in the second shot.

The only real knock on the place is the conditioning can sometimes suffer due to a lack of an irrigation system. 

But, I'm trying to find flaws here.   How can a course offer more variety and better scenery?  You tell me.   It is so special and the total golf experience is unique.   

George Freeman

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
Here are some pictures from a magical September day.  Fishers Island is one of the most special golf experiences I've ever had.

Our ride

Not a bad spot for a putting green

The journey begins - #1

The magic begins - #3

I think you could call that "skyline"

Maybe my favorite hole in golf - #4

A glimpse of the flag, your last view until you crest the hill

No words needed

A true fortress

#6 - a heaving ocean of a fairway

#8 - teeing off about as close to the ocean as possible

More room than it looks.

Ok I lied, this might be my favorite hole in golf - #9

The money shot of Double Plateau

False front on #10

By far my favorite replica of Eden.  BY FAR!

Level lies are hard to find on #12

The approach on #13 (from slightly right of position "A", or is it? :) )

Looking back on #14

#18 tee

The ocean is never far at Fishers Island

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
Wow. Thanks George.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Mayhugh

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »
Nice bunch of photos, George.  The course plays just as good as it looks, doesn't it?

The 4th is one of many spectacular holes.  Hopefully I'll get another chance at hitting a tee shot in play on it.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
Just from seeing photos of FI and having never been there, it looks like when the wind is up, single digit handicaps might not break 100.  Some of the recovery spots look extremely difficult in benign conditions alone.  I'm sure it's a fun challenge though.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
Kevin

Its certainly the best MacRaynor I have played:
Lookout Mt
Shoreacres
Chicago Golf Club
Blue Mound
Creek Club
Piping Rock
National Golf Links
Yale
St Louis
Sleepy Hollow
Yeamans Hall
Country Club of Charleston

Thanks Chip - I would love to see more MacRaynor and hope to catch up with you one day to explore some of your thoughts on many of the above with you - some of which I've also seen.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back