News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Second Symposium On Affordable Golf
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:57 AM »

Affordable Golf! Who does not want golf to be affordable. However I fear we again seem to miss the underlying theme that to make golf affordable in the first place we must site our courses on locations that are friendly to the game. By doing so we at a stroke greatly reduce the greatest cost to the game (that is after the building of the course) which is the on-going maintenance required to maintain the course in an acceptable state.

Acceptable state does not mean super manicured courses with the grass combed to perfection, but more aligned to Nature and the natural rather than Manmade. To achieve affordable Golf we must accept that courses cannot be built in certain areas, well not without compromises, which calls into question, will the end result still allow the golfer to play golf or having to resort to major assistance just to get around the course.

The problem in my eyes being what is affordable golf, my opinion means cheap to fair Green Fees, a real balance re value for money encouraging my return to re take the course’s challenges time after time. It has zero to do with cost of clubs, equipment, clothing, carts, trolleys, travel etc., nor the cost of a pint in the club bar afterward, all that is my choice and subject to my tastes having little to do with anything apart my ability to pay. A shirt is a shirt yet some love their designer label yet it performs the same function as any shirt, perhaps it’s just all down to the vanity of man and certainly women. 

So IMHO until we accept that golf has limitations in the selection of sites, nevertheless affordable golf can be found on many of Scotland out of the way courses. But then again what is affordable golf? Surely we must start with the game itself and where it is being played.

Melvyn

Carl Rogers

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
Are full transcripts available?
Does any of the speakers do PowerPoint?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 12:18:47 PM »
Richard,

About two weeks later and I would have come down.
We're still in construction season till the 2nd week.
I'm still booked to work at that time.

I love what you are doing and would love to have joined in.

Best Regards,

Ian

Brian Laurent

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you at the Symposium, Richard. Thanks for for putting it together.
Brian
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 09:05:29 PM »
Dear Carl:

We will be recording the day's discussions and I will be again writing a white paper as a re-cap.  There will be one master powerpoint presentation that we may make available to those who are interested.  If the recordings go well (they were too jumbled last year), we may make those available as well.  It depends on how much transcriptions would cost.  You know, if it is affordable. ;)

Willie_Dow

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
Richard -

We need more input here !  This is a major concern for the future of golf course development, and we sit around and read junk comments.

Where are you guys ?

Willie

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 08:03:30 AM »
Willie,

Spot on comments!  I read a lot of lip-service around here about what the game needs. WE ARE ALL VERY BUSY GENTS (AND LADIES)...that is NOT an excuse to pass on something that will build on what was accomlplished last year in at least starting the discussion, as well as continuing the rarely offered, intimate AND all-inclusive approach that Rich so graciously presented last year.

I realize that some folks, particularly those actively engaged on projects, are unable to tear themselves way from the task at hand, especially as the Winter months close in. There are many others out there however, who could make the effort, but instead choose to sit in the clubhouse. My own schedule is packed, yet I believe if we really want to call ourselves passionate devotees of returning the game to it core elements, we must answer the call in discussing and finding collaborative solutions for the issues.

As someone who learned plenty, and came away with tremendous appreciation for the efforts of Rich and his Team's presentation last year, I strongly encourage the rope-riders to step up and make the effort to attend...you WILL NOT be disappointed!

Cheers,
Kris 8)

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 08:27:30 PM »
Willie:

I'm right here and we are ready to have a better Symposium than last year. Been in Minnesota working on a new renovation project I have called Keller Golf Course all week.  Thanks for the support.

I am disappointed by the pre-registration numbers.  Looks like we will have about the same number as last year.  I was hoping for 150.  If you haven't registrered yet, please do.  There is still time. Few GCA people have signed up despite the opportunity to put their money where their mouths are.  I guess we could set up some computer stations.  That way those who are used to the chat-room atmosphere can at least just punch keys.  I can get someone on my staff to read the comments. Willie do you think that would work?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back