News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Lester George is posted
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
Having played five courses that Lester George has worked on (Ballyhack, Kanawha, Old White at the Greenbrier, Kinloch, and the Westhampton Course at the Country Club of Virginia), I'm not entirely clear on what to say!

Having said that  ;), what I mean is that each course is so different/unique that it is hard to believe that the same man was involved in each project. That's intended as a great compliment to Lester. The work of many other architects (ironically, the most famous ones) is too easily stereotyped. Not Lester who is certainly a 'think outside the box' person.

First, there is Ballyhack. Not unlike Tobacco Road (another design that I have high regard for), Ballyhack has the ability to polarize golfers (it was more or less the genesis for question #13 with Joe Passov). Some, like me, love its wide open nature and bold features while others think that it is too much. That’s great - so be it! Though certainly not its purpose, the grandness of Ballyhack helps expand the field of golf course architecture. A lot of fun, quality shots exist whereby the golfer aims at A to end up over by B. This sort of ground golf is totally absent in the region and the grassing scheme/low humidity help the course play just right.

Then there is Kinloch which is Lester's most acclaimed design. Featuring multi-route options off the tees, raters have loved it from the start. Close by but totally different is the stylish Kanawha, a par 27 nine hole course/club. The owner was to keen to have a relaxed place to stay in touch with the game when a four hour round was out of the question. The fiercely sloping, firm greens do just that. Played in peace and quiet, the golfer is quick to know when he is out of position from the tee. Once above certain hole locations, even the late, great Seve Ballesteros would have his hands full trying to sort out a way to stay within ~8 feet of the hole on one's next shot. If you can manage your ball around this little gem with its pitched greens, your game is all set for whatever important trip/match you have coming up.

Apart from the diversity of Lester's work (just look at the bunkering style difference between Old White and Country Club of Florida as another example) , it is also a PLEASURE to post a Feature Interview with an architect who elects to spend time posting on this web site. Yes, anyone can slant their posts and attempt to sell something here but those folks generally are sussed out and fade away. Lester has been around for a long time and posts out of genuine conviction. Hopefully, the woeful economy won’t blunt his raw passion for the game and for design. From a quick one hour loop around Kanawha to the big and burly golf at Ballyhack, Lester enjoys an imaginative sense of what works well.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:33:40 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Bill_McBride

Re: Feature Interview with Lester George is posted
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:08:30 PM »
Lester has been more than helpful with arrangements for this year's Dixie Cup.  Twenty eight GCAers will play Ballyhack, Kanawa, Kinloch and Providence, a public course in Richmond.  It's great to see a GCA excited about the opportunity to show off four very different courses over a long weekend in Virginia.  I know the Dixie Cuppers are enthusiastic about the courses we'll be playing. 

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:06:43 AM »
The thing that stands out to me in this interview is that Mr. George seems to have an uncommon capability of designing courses in a variety of styles.  This is not to say that is his only remarkable quality. I don't know enough to comment on that.  But that is what struck me in reading this piece. 
Even among the designers I am very fond of, their courses do seem like variations on a stylistic theme.  That is not a knock on them. I don't think there is anything wrong with that - as long as their applied concepts are excellent.  Unlike other art forms I don't think distinct stylistic mobility is required to be considered brilliant.  To my limited knowledge it seems course design is more about working hand in hand with the given terrain in a way that has a deep seated appreciation for nature while giving the player equations which are sound and compelling. 
However, this unforced but considerable stylistic variance seems to be a quality that really distinguishes Mr. George. It's clear that this is a very capable man and I particularly look forward to seeing his future projects. Why? He displays an open and questing spirit - as we can see from his participation on GCA. That sort of disposition displayed by an established person in any field is something I always find impressive. It is a configuration which gives rise to remarkable and sometimes amazing work.   
Well, for whatever it's worth - that is my morning java take.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:54:31 PM »
Excellent interview. Thanks for giving such thoughtful answers, Lester, here's to more success in the future.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
Excellent interview. Thanks for giving such thoughtful answers, Lester, here's to more success in the future.

+1
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »
Based on Lester`s work at Old White and his reverence for CBM/Raynor/Banks the golf world is most certainly in for a treat with the pending project Contentment. Additionally very insightful comments about Raynor`s role and value to CBM as well as his assessment of where they stack up against the other ODG`s. Quite refreshing to listen to his design ideas and goals when discussing the different projects that he has been involved in and his willingness to spend an inordinate amount of time on site over and above what is contractually required.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:14:24 PM by Tim Martin »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »
Very impressive stuff Lester.  Quite the resume.  Keep on keepin' on!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Lester George

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:40:03 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the kind words and I hope this kind of thing is worth reading.  Ran told me I should do it about a year ago so I finally got time to try. 

After further discussion with Ran, he convinced me to send him a routing plan of Contentment, our new course coming in North Carolina.  I challenged him to try to identify the different "template" holes as we adapted them to the site.  We have a bet on the number he will get and the winner gets dinner.  After that we might post the routing here for y'all to give it a go.  What do you think?

Lester

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »

After further discussion with Ran, he convinced me to send him a routing plan of Contentment, our new course coming in North Carolina.  I challenged him to try to identify the different "template" holes as we adapted them to the site.  We have a bet on the number he will get and the winner gets dinner.  After that we might post the routing here for y'all to give it a go.  What do you think?

I think this 'contest' will be fun and very educational.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Lester George

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »

I'll work out the details with Ran or maybe Ed Oden.  Let you know.

Lester

Michael George

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »

Lester:

Thanks for the opportunity.  I think it will be quite fun for everybody.

Just so you know, I like steak and a nice glass of wine. 

Take care.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »
Lester,

True or false: Glenn would have been a better interview?   ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Lester George

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
JC,

Of course Glenn would have been the better interview, but Ran wanted to talk golf architecture, not hair care products and the Pine Crest Inn social club!!!!

Lester

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »
JC,

Of course Glenn would have been the better interview, but Ran wanted to talk golf architecture, not hair care products and the Pine Crest Inn social club!!!!

Lester

Are those hair products for blue hair?

Lester George

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »

Not in Glenns case.

Lester

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »

Not in Glenns case.

Lester

LOL, I was thinking of the crowd around the piano bar!

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
Captain McBride,

This past spring Lester, Glenn, Mark Pritchett, myself and a few others had quite the night at the Pine Crest.  Topic of conversation ranged from golf course architecture to Glenn's distinguished and admirable coiffure.  At 3am there were still beverages and shots being fired into the fireplace (few of which actually hit the fireplace).

A highlight of my 2011, though it didn't yield an invite to Ballyhack (I can't imagine why not).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Lester George

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »

JC,

You need no invitation to Ballyhack, however, let me know when yopu will be staying overnight there and Glenn will buy you a drink in our pub! 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 05:02:03 PM »
JC:

You're invited to Ballyhack anytime.

WW

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 05:07:53 PM »
Wade,

I appreciate that, thank you. 

In fairness to Lester, he did invite Mark Pritchett and me to Ballyhack that evening; he just never returned my emails....  ;D

Lester George

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »

So many emails....so little time.

I must admit JC, ever since that night we have had numerous laughs with you, about you, because of you.  Thanks.

Lester

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »
The latter being the funniest of them all.  I'm just busting your huevos Lester, I know that what you are really avoiding is me bringing Pritchett w/ me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:22:13 PM by JC Jones »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
Tough crowd, I think y'all are resenting my walk off chip into the fireplace! 

Jeremy Aisenberg

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 11:31:57 PM »
At the risk of being nominated chairman of the Lester George fan club, I think this interview gives excellent perspective into a a really wonderful (and opinionated) man who has dedicated his career to building FUN golf courses.  I have played many of his courses and renovations from public courses like The Colonial, Providence and The First Tee of Chesterfield to some of the finest private clubs in the world like Kinloch and Ballyhack.  I also recently had the opportunity to play the Ocean City Golf Club's Newport Bay course - a wonderful track on the southern tip of Ocean City MD, with water views on almost every hole.  The unifying theme in all of Lester's work is fun.  He has a very unique ability to adapt his style to 1) the site, 2) the owners goals and 3) the budget and business model.  He is a student of his profession paying homage to the greats of GCA while advancing his profession as a whole.  He incorporates decision making into his designs as well as any GCA I am familiar with.  I walk off the 18th greens of Kinloch, Ballyhack, Providence etc, and no matter how i played, i want to go back and play it again.  Lester doesn't try to overpower a golfer with length or hazards - he plays a chess match with your golf IQ.  He demands that you consider your options and rewards you for taking a calculated risk.  I can't wait to get back to Ballyhack to see if i can catch the power slot on the second fairway giving me the shorter club over the pot bunker from hell or head over to Kinloch to see if i can hit a 3 wood on 4 that catches the hill just right and runs up to the green giving me a rare putt for eagle on a par 4.  FUN, which to me, is why i love the game!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 12:11:26 PM »
Great interview, Lester.  Certainly gives me a better understanding and feel for his design strategies and philosophies.  Perfect timing for an introduction before the upcoming Dixie Cup 2011...looking forward to meeting you in person in a few weeks!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back