News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

The tour continued with a striking drive northwest through the Cambrians to Machynlleth. This trip is worth doing even if there is no golf at the finish. I was taken aback to discover Machynelleth is twinned with Belleville, Michigan...a town I know fairly well. Some might recognize the town as the home of the Belleville Three, a collective who were instrumental in the development of Detroit Techno while I was in high school. I am curious as to the history of this connection.

Machynlleth holds a special place in Welsh history as the ancient capitol of Wales. After four failed English military actions, in 1404 Owain Glyndwr was crowned Prince of Wales in Machynlleth. In revolt against King Henry IV he formed the first Welsh Parliament with the aim of establishing and independant Wales.. The English never succeeded in bringing Owain Glyndwr to terms, but the revolt slowly petered out and was all but over when he died sometime after 1412 (possibly 1415). Glyndwr is a national hero whose namesake was used by a group which burned down several dozen English holiday homes in Wales for a period in the late 1970s to mid 90s.   

Machynlleth originally had an 1892 course, but it is the James Braid 1904 moorland design we enjoy today. Nestled in the Dyfi Valley, Machynlleth benefits from lovely surrounding views views and a sense of serenity. This rustic nine holer is bunkerless, I believe; it didn't occur to me think about it at the time. However, there are man-made drainage ditches here and there which can influence play. I found the setup utterly charming. So far as I can tell, there is only one person associated with the club that is paid...the cleaning person. The club and course maintenance relies on volunteers. In fact, there was one volunteer digging the ditch along the 8th when we played...that is hard graft!

The setup of the club is impressive.

Even includes a practice ground.

I wouldn't suggest a vending machine can replace people, but balls and tees are available inside the house.

The opening tee shot is bewildering. The green is tucked out of sight behind the hill to the right.

The approach...its not for everyone, but I like it.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 02:34:21 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

Re: Welsh Wizard Short Tour of Mid Wales: Marvleous MACHYNLLETH GC 1
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2024, 04:42:53 AM »
The tour continued with a striking drive northwest through the Cambrians to Machynlleth. This trip is worth doing even if there is no golf at the finish.
Some friendly four legged locals with their owner atop his 'Welsh horse', aka Detroit Golfers name for a quadbike, as encountered on the wonderfully scenic A489 between Llanidloes and Machynlleth ...... :)
atb
WW

Sean_A

Re: Welsh Wizard Short Tour of Mid Wales: Marvleous MACHYNLLETH GC 1 New
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2024, 02:33:50 PM »
WW

Good thing we didn't have a tee time.

Machynlleth Tour Cont

The par 5 second isn't anything special, but I liked the triangle to communicate the green is free.

Machynlleth comes into its own on the third, a bruisingly long and blind short hole. The terrain feeds from the left to a runaway green.

Machynlleth struggled to stay afloat over the years. Shortly after WWII the course closed to reopen in 1950. Not long later the Machynlleth closed again and remained so until 1966.  Perhaps this perseverance is one reason why the course feels wonderfully simple.  Another par 3, the 4th is a stern uphill 160ish yarder. The green is benched into the high ground on the right and is a surprisingly tight target. Below is a head-on look from well in front of the tee.

There is the added element of a berm somewhat blocking the kick down from the right. It is holes like this one hopes to find when journeying to country courses.

Perhaps the best hole on offer, the 5th swings downhill over a sneaky ditch. I think the club dug a few drainage ditches here and there over the years to help mother nature. Whoever dug this ditch had some architectural acumen.

The approach from well beyond the ditch. Like most sheep tended courses, the turf is top class.

Behind the green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: Today at 02:53:17 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back