News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

No. this isn't the Mike Keiser project on the south edge of the town of Bandon.
No, this isn't the Dye/Kohler(?) project at Pistol River, even though it is in Curry county.

This is maybe ten miles south of Bandon near Floras Lake and would be in direct competition with the Bandon resort, the propsed Keiser backed course south of Bandon and Bandon Crossings. It might be viable, especially with carts. The airport they are talking is very small.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/08/post_41.html

(Note: I oopsed the location in the original post)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:18:11 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Garland Bayley

Re: Another Oregon coast destination
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:49:55 PM »
They do have the best coastal weather in Oregon.

EDIT
Sorry, I thought it would be near Brookings. If it is as near to Bandon as Pete says, the weather won't be that much different.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:52:29 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:09:05 AM »
Just south of Langlois (used to have a creamery with great blue cheese) and west of the hamlet of Denmark. Maybe 15-20 minutes from Bandon Dunes Resort.

It is interesting that the county commissioners held three meetings this month on golf courses, without mentioning the Keiser project
(at least from my reading of this article, I could be wrong, again)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:10:52 AM »
The dynamics and mentality of 2nd and 3rd bites of the apple in business development are an interesting study in human psychology.  It gets even whackier when government entities are involved in schemes to cash in on some pie in the sky trend with desperate attempts to right their fiscal ships.  Whether it is lotteries and gambling to something like this, municipalities and even States are irresponsible.  I'm all in favor of municipalities providing recreation, including golf courses for the citizens at reasonable prices.  But, such a grandiose project with the obvious financial risk and lack of realistic market of out of area tourists (which is not what a muni should be marketing to) ought to be left to a private individual, who would risk no one's funds but his own.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:49:01 AM »
Dick,

It seems with your attitude the courses at Bethpage would never have been built. Do they not serve a good purpose for locals and tourists alike?
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:05:14 AM »
I've been surfing the Curry County Commision(ers) and there is a lot of animosity and desperation down there. It probably won't get built unless the county acts as a facilitator, not a direct participant. I generally agree with Dick Daley's point.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:07:58 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:16:40 AM »
What is the site itself like?  Good potential to build top golf course(s)? 

Pete_Pittock

Re: Another Oregon coast destination, County just now nixes project
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »
Looks like the project is dead per the 1st three paragraphs of this article
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/09/curry_county_pulls_the_plug_on.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back