News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Jarvis

Royal Melbourne showing its teeth!
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:24 AM »
I had the true pleasure of playing the West Course at Royal Melbourne yesterday. On what was a blustery afternoon (two-clubs) and rock hard greens, Royal Melbourne is setting up perfectly for the Presidents Cup.

Since the last major event and the Presidents Cup in 1998, the Club has converted its fairways to legend couch, making for less run. That with the combination of firm fescue green surrounds and table-top like greens, we should see a somewhat sterner test for the best come November.

Who said a golf course needs to be long to be difficult?
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Mark Chaplin

Re: Royal Melbourne showing its teeth!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:29:53 AM »
Ben - have the surrounds firmed up now? In March the greens were firm but the surrounds soft taking out the ground game. I'm sure RM will be testing but fair in the Presidents Cup.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »
Brian- with no room to lengthen the course, slowing down the fairways was essential to avoid becoming obsolete when it comes to professional events. It certainly makes it very challenging for the mere mortals, particularly the older members that don't have the long carry.

Yes Mark, with the firm fescue green surrounds, the ground game is definitely available.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
At only 6,300 yards, you have to imagine it will be birdies galore.  I think it will be a very exciting presidents cup with a lot of action going on.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »
At only 6,300 yards, you have to imagine it will be birdies galore.  I think it will be a very exciting presidents cup with a lot of action going on.

I think you may find that's 6,300 metres, Peter.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »

I think you may find that's 6,300 metres, Peter.

Which is just shy of 6,900 yards.

TK

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
Yeah sorry about that my bad.  It comes out to exactly 6,995 yards.  6,397 meters.  So that isn't that bad, wasn't Plainfield arount that distance. 

Carl Rogers

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
This course and the President's Cup could look the like the event where the reduced distance ball might make sense and a make a real statement for the game.

(bye the bye, did you notice that PM hit a draw 5 iron into the 18th at East Lake ... in his day, JN would have had a 1 iron)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back