News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

What a neat discovery.
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
Some friends of my wife's asked me to look at a house they're considering for a purchase.

They gave me the address and as I was looking for it on Google Earth I noticed a nearby golf course.

When I zoomed in, I noticed centerline bunkers, dual-shared fairways and other neat looking features.

I was intriqued by the aerial.

I then discovered that the course was Shuttle Meadow, in Connecticut.

I went to their website and looked at ground level photos of all 18 holes.

When I showed the Google Earth aerial of the course to my wife and mentioned the name, she said that she used to work on the green/grounds crew there when she was in her teens.  Some coincidence.

Is anyone familiar with this course, it looks like it's quite unique.

Eric Smith

Re: What a neat discovery.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
Pat,

I believe GCAer Steve Curry is the super there.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »
Nice place & some very cool holes.
And Yes Steve Curry is the super super.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
From the golflink.com

"Designed by Willie Park, Jr., the Shuttle Meadow golf course opened in 1916. Lawrence Orefice manages the course as the General Manager."

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »
When I showed the Google Earth aerial of the course to my wife and mentioned the name, she said that she used to work on the green/grounds crew there when she was in her teens.  Some coincidence.

You've been married how long and didn't know your wife worked on the grounds crew of a golf course?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »

You've been married how long and didn't know your wife worked on the grounds crew of a golf course?

17 years... and I don't know how I"ve lasted  ;D

She worked there 30 years ago.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
Pat,

A very "neat discovery" indeed to find that your wife was linked to golf courses before your time! And you were unaware! Neat beyond words! Nice to know the pillow talk excluded golf......very civilised!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:25:33 PM »
Shuttle Meadow is very solid; not very long (only one par four over 400 yards), but a good mix of holes nonetheless.  The 18th green is one of the wildest I've ever seen.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
I bet he would have known if she'd worked at Pine Valley. ;D

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
Pat,

I live 14 miles from Shuttle Meadow. It's a very enjoyable layout, with a routing that squeezes the site to the limit, including a power line across the middle of the par-5 3rd and 8th holes that is most certainly in play. Doak/Hepner did some very mediocre bunker rework there a decade or so ago; despite the mundane bunkers the course is a joy because of the routing, outcrop rock, greens surfaces, fescue/blue stem areas and Steve Curry's handiwork the last four years.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »
Pat,

I had Steve down to play GRCC with the his pro and Chairmen a few years ago as they were contemplating a Master Plan for this Willie Park Jr. layout.  Steve is the President of the UMass Alumni Turf Group.  Great fellow and very passionate about the business.

DEAN
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 06:11:20 PM »
Dean,

The centerline bunkers and dual, shared fairway got my attention.

I'm anxious to play a course with those features.

I particularly liked Wild Horse's version

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
It's worth the 2 hour ride!
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back