News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Updated Southern Pines GC profile is posted
« on: November 30, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Plenty of us are feeling poor at the moment  :'( . Thus, it is especially with delight that we post this update on Southern Pines Golf Club. Owned by the Elk's Club and managed now by Avestra, it represents one of the great bargains in golf. I am a member and a guest costs something like $30 this time of the year. Look at the new photos and tell me if you don’t agree that represents value (!) for money.

Ross’s eighteen holes were done in two stages (a nine hole loop in 1906 which was expanded to eighteen holes by the early 1920s) and today’s playing corridors remain identical to those in Ross’s day. His routing over the rolling sandy topography is still the highlight. The green locations are nice and varied with some at the high point of the hole (e.g. the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 12th, 15th, 16th and 18th) and some at the low point (the 5th, 8th, 13th, and 17th). The elevated greens make the course play longer than the 6,300 yards would otherwise suggest and the deepest bunkers on the course are found at such green sites.

Many of the first nine holes that were built fall across the land in an appealing - though conventional - manner. Some of the holes that were built ~ fifteen years later (especially the 8th whose fairway plays along a spine that falls away on both sides and the 10th with its wonderful sidehill architecture) utilize the land in different manners. Perhaps this shows how Ross was developing as an architect?

The net effect is a pleasant walk through broad corridors of tall pine trees. If we catch it late in the afternoon when it isn’t crowded, we are around in under three hours  :)carrying our bags. Though the architectural features might not blow you away (the greens and bunkers have been modified through the years), the property/routing and the experience of getting change back for your $50 will undoubtedly put a smile on your face.

Come have a round with me sometime and you’ll see what I mean. You’ll also wish that this country had many more like it – the sport would be in immeasurably better shape if we did as such courses allow people to reconnect to nature without breaking the piggy bank.

Cheers,

Allan Long

Re: Updated Southern Pines GC profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:04:33 PM »
Thanks for updating Ran.

In your estimation, do you ever think that the #2 course at Southern Pines will ever be restored?
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »
Ran,
   Does the approach into #2 green shoulder balls off into the flanking bunkers?
   You weren't kidding about the mounds on #6, they are so out of place.

What is the average size of the greens? They appear quite small.
Thanks for the write-up.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David_Madison

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »
Ran,

The course looks great, kinda' a companion piece to Mid-Pines. It looks like you took the photos not too long ago and that the fairways have been overseeded. Is that the case, and if so, have they always overseeded? Any major impact on how the course plays, i.e. slower and/or longer because of extra watering and the plusher turf?

Jon Heise

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »
Talk about timing!

This course became a huge blip on my golf radar the second I first clicked onto this site, and now Im going to be playing it for the first time Wednesday.

The pics and write up are great, I'll have to give it a last minute study before I let 'er rip!

J
I still like Greywalls better.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:20:26 PM »
Is it me or does the 14th resemble that of 5 at PV?

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »
I have played SPGC in good and bad conditions and no matter what....it still represents one of the best values in all of golf.  Its a good thing irrigation costs money, with out it, we get firm and fast!

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 10:33:44 PM »
Thanks for updating Ran.

In your estimation, do you ever think that the #2 course at Southern Pines will ever be restored?

Ran may be able to answer better than I, but when I was working for Avestra, there was talk about doing a project to restore the full second 18 once the renovation project on the first 18 holes is done. From what I remember them saying, there was a roughly 5 year plan in place for the Cardinal 9 and possibly 10 years or more for the full 18 holes. Of course that was during better economic times than we have currently. So I am not sure where it will go at this point.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 09:49:12 AM »
The opening 5 es uno del mejor en golf.

ˇOlé! ˇOlé!

Craig Disher

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 10:19:45 AM »
Thanks for updating Ran.

Ran may be able to answer better than I, but when I was working for Avestra, there was talk about doing a project to restore the full second 18 once the renovation project on the first 18 holes is done. From what I remember them saying, there was a roughly 5 year plan in place for the Cardinal 9 and possibly 10 years or more for the full 18 holes. Of course that was during better economic times than we have currently. So I am not sure where it will go at this point.

I think restoring the full 18 is a pipe dream. In the first place, Holes 5-11 of the other nine have been built over with houses. Adding 9 holes to the Cardinal 9 could be done - depending on the amount of land held by the Elks - but the holes wouldn't be the original ones. I've always like the idea of restoring the Cardinal 9 but I wonder if it's a workable model. The new Avestra members have so many options I don't think a short 9 at SPCC would get much play.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »
I had the good fortune to play here last March. It was a delight to play and bargain at a much higher price.

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
The Southern Pines Golf Club has been closed since last Monday, July 31st. It seems that the Elks Club has chosen to go in a different direction with regards to management for the facility.

http://www.thepilot.com/business/elks-hire-legacy-to-manage-southern-pines-golf-club-no/article_0c725390-7963-11e7-9d34-335678cbc6fd.html

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:32:18 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
In the 4 years, I have had the opportunity to play it once a year, along with Tobacco Road, Dormie, & Pine Needles at the same time.  I do not consider SP no. 4 on the list.  I hope it continues as a going concern.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

James Brown

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »
Very sad.  Feels like this crept on us.  Didn't see much on the downward slope of one of our GCA gems in recent months.  Shape for it to end with a stand off over management contracts.  I just browsed Golf Advisor reviews and it looks like the conditioning has been an issue for some time. 

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 07:29:11 AM »
Per article plan is to be open this week. If the operation at Legacy Golf Links is any indication, the new management will run a fine operation. SPGC needs a cash infusion to flesh out its great bones.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 07:34:14 AM »
Southern Pines is and will remain a player in the area. Owned by the ELKS it was decided in June to offer it for sale with bidders to make offers within about 2 weeks. Kelly Miller ( Pine Needles/Mid Pines) and John McConnell ( Sedgefield, Holsten Hills etc) were the 2 major players. The members voted for Miller,  the board over ruled and chose McConnell. In the end neither wanted to buy under Elks terms and conditions with a 1.4 million dollar lawsuit looming. Then for some other reason the management of the course was offered to another course in the area, Legacy. The ELKS likely still want to sell and probably will after the lease expires hopefully in a more thoughtful and organized manner, but who knows what goes through the mind of an ELK.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 09:07:55 PM »
Hope they bring back the third nine.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back