News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Walt_Cutshall

Boston Golf Club–very impressive design
« on: September 14, 2007, 08:12:20 PM »
I played Boston Golf Course today, and I have to say I was very, very impressed. This was one of the most interesting, challenging and unique designs I have played, and certainly is among the very best courses I have played. There are many things I liked about the course. It was visually rich--effortlessly following the contours of the land and, for the most part, looking natural in its setting. As a golfer, I enjoyed the challenge of the course. It puts pressure on every part of your game while posing interesting risk/reward questions off the tees and on the approaches. We played from the tips on a breezy day and it was a handful.

I thought the green complexes were inspired: difficult but fair. Good short game players will find the course extremely entertaining.

Hat's off to Gil Hanse on this one. This was the game of golf at its finest.  ;D

Jimmy Muratt

Re:Boston Golf Club–very impressive design
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »
Walt,

Boston GC is a fantastic golf course.  Gil and his crew were given the freedom to be very creative and all of their efforts definitely paid off with the finished product.  The greens are some of the most contoured that I have seen, and tie in beautifully to the surrounds.  You are absolutely right that there is a lot of short game interest, most areas give you several different options to play a shot.

The course is definitely visually striking but it's the subtle features that make it great.  Many of these unique features only reveal themselves with subsequent plays.  

The course possesses three of my very favorite holes anywhere:
#5  fantastic risk/reward short par 4, with the tiny green and trouble all around
#15 par 5 with "hell's 1/3 of an acre"
#16  short par 4 w/ principal's nose bunker complex in the middle of the fairway, well protected elevated green

Mark_Fine

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 05:16:55 AM »
Boston GC is an extremely impressive design built on a relatively tough piece of property.  What is most impressive is the creativity and chances that Gil took with some of the holes.  I have a busy weekend and week coming up which is why I am up at this hour but maybe I'll post some photos.  Gil is not getting stale by any means and he is clearly one of the most innovative and talented guys out there right now.  If you have any doubts, go play this place.  

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:16:45 AM »
BGC remains the best modern design I've played since I played Pacific Dunes 4 years ago.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 08:51:48 PM »
BGC remains the best modern design I've played since I played Pacific Dunes 4 years ago.  

To me, it's in the same league as Kingsley Club, which is Top 10 Modern in my book.  

It's scary good.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re: Boston Golf Club–very impressive design
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »
I played Boston Golf Club on Saturday and was blown away.  I expected to love it, but my high expectations were exceeded!  A few quick thoughts:

Generally the front 9 plays uphill, the back nine plays downhill but it never feels that way.  #1 is a great example.  Rolling fairway to an elevated green so you pick up elevation gradually without focusing on it.

Shipwreck (#5?) is one of the all time great par 4's I have played.  That narrow boat shaped green is awesome.  They took a risk and it paid off.

Visually it is a stunning course.  The little touches matter.  The Wizard's Cap tree (how cool is that!) and the tee shot with the flag visible through the gate are two great examples.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:19:17 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »
Bump

I played Boston Golf Club on Saturday and was blown away.  I expected to love it, but my high expectations were exceeded!  A few quick thoughts:

Generally the front 9 plays uphill, the back nine plays downhill but it never feels that way.  #1 is a great example.  Rolling fairway to an elevated green so you pick up elevation gradually without focusing on it.

Shipwreck (#5?) is one of the all time great par 4's I have played.  That narrow boat shaped green is awesome.  They took a risk and it paid off.

Visually it is a stunning course.  The little touches matter.  The Wizard's Cap tree (how cool is that!) and the tee shot with the flag visible through the gate are two great examples.

I knew you would love it.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
Good to hear.  I had heard somethings (mainly here on GCA) that it wouldn't open this year due to financial problems.  Can you discuss.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »
Joel,

I can assure you that the reports of Boston's demise were GREATLY exaggerated.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »
Boston Golf Club is clearly in my Top 10 Modern US courses, and having played it for a second time this past year just to be sure my original impressions were well-founded, it have probably moved into my top 5.

It is stunning, and the incredible thing is that Geoff played it soaking wet with torrential recent rains.   It normally plays faster than a cheetah in open savannah and bouncier than David Thompson.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 09:46:25 PM »
For those who have played both BGC and Old Sandwich how do you compare them?  Am I in the minority for preferring OS?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
Kyle,

The only two people I know who played both in consecutive days, both of whose opinions I respect a great deal, rated BCG at a 9.5 and OS at about a 6.

Of course, that may be a minority opinion based on some polls.   I had an invite to join them the next day but sadly had to get back home for work-related duties.

I suspect that better golfers don't like some of the quirk and chance at play at BCG and feel OS is a "fairer" test, but for those who appreciate courses where there are any number of great "match-play" holes, I can't imagine asking for much more fun than Boston.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
Mike,

Old Sandwich can more than hold it's own as a match play course and it doesn't require a cart ride mid round or end with an awkward uphill par 3.  As with most C&C designs it felt much more like a classic course than Boston Golf Club which was strikingly modern.  I can see those preferring that style of course leaning towards BGC, but I can't see it by the wide margin you mention.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 11:03:07 PM »
Kyle,

I too am very curious about others thoughts on how OS compares to BGC.  I have not played OS though I tried to arrange it on my most recent trip.

On the other points you mentioned, I did not think the 18th was awkward and actually thought it fit with the character of the course.  If anything, I might make it longer with a back tee to require the better player to hit a long iron for the final tee shot of the day.  Closing par 3's work for Old White, East Lake and Garden City and I think it works here.

I wasn't sure how I would like the two cart rides (out to 1 and 10 tees) but they weren't overly long and they came at logical pauses in the round.  I guess they don't bother me when it is structured that way.  The same would hold true for cart rides I took at Kirtland, Manufacturers and Caves Valley.

Frank M

Re: Boston Golf Club–very impressive design New
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
I have not played it, but Boston grabs my attention and looks amazing from the pictures I've seen. I am enthralled by #5 as some have mentioned. Looks really interesting.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 07:42:22 PM by Frank M »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back