News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Silis

The Institute Golf Club
« on: February 25, 2002, 04:11:06 AM »
I know it's been mentioned here a few times (had no luck with the search engine) but can anyone provide me with some information about the Institute, a very private club that opened up in San Jose ( near the old Flying Lady GC in Morgan Hill). I grew up in Palo Alto and spent 32 years in the Bay Area. Will be back there in Mid April on business. I seem to recall that GCA contributor Neal M. was involved with the design. Neal if you could (or anyone else) provide some info on the club, course, design etc. I would be much obliged. Thanks,
           Andy Silis
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Richard_Goodale

Re: The Institute Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 06:46:01 AM »
Andy

Neal (and Gib) know a lot more about the course than I do, but from what they have told me, it is a completely private course, built and owned by the Fry family, on top of the old Flying Lady course, 8000+ yards, designed to hold some (very far in the) future Open.  You can see it on the left as you drive south on 101 towards Gilroy.

Hopefully others with more information will chime in.

Cheers

Rich

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2002, 08:45:42 AM »
I could spew forth all manner of information regarding this course, but I do feel an obligation to the owner to keep things, shall we say, quiet.  

However, if anyone would like to know a few more details, feel free to email me and we will discuss off-line.

(By the way, Rich, it's only 7,800 yards)
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

Bringing a topic back via the way back machine ...

With the Frys.com Open at Cordevalle this week, a new article on The Institute:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_19026339
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Leahy

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:01:24 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Andy Silis

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 06:30:27 AM »
 Anyone else notice a bit of borrow from Augusta on the aerial view?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:34:08 AM by Andy Silis »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:00:05 PM »
Andy,

I noticed the Augusta like holes - near copies of the 12, 15, and maybe 6 and 2 spring out.  I have spoken to Damian P about it, but he has never mentioned that design influence.  I am guessing John Fry requested that they put that stuff in.

I also read through the old thread, where someone here credited Neal Meagher with the design right away, because he was a gca.com member.

Not so.  The project was the work of Graves and Pascuzzo, and Graves was still alive and well at the time.  Neal was a design associate, and Damian credits him with some great work on the project, and for being an all around standup guy.  Damian has always told me it was a true collaborative effort and they used everyone's ideas to make it the best possible project. 

But, it is a G&P course, even if John Fry himself now seems to be claiming credit and leaving the designers out.

This is obviously an interesting subject to me!  No one here would call a Ross course a "Maples" course when Ross didn't ever show up, would they?  They probably wouldn't even give a Gil Hanse type credit for a Doak course that he happened to work at, even if Tom would be gracious enough to note Gil's contributions.  At the same time, for other gca's, it seems like the work of rewriting history begins, for a lot of reasons, and via a lot of people who have differing reasons to credit it differently, whether that's ego owners, associates going out on their own, or whatever.

Attribution is a tricky business, but I still believe that the head of the firm who has the contract gets the attribution.  Period.  If he wants to share it, no problem.  But, he/she is the one who calls the final shots, got the job brought in the door for the associate to work on,  and would be the one to get sued if the associate screwed up somehow and made an unsafe or unbuildable design.   It's a lot different to make a decision when there are legal consequences! 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »

Attribution is a tricky business, but I still believe that the head of the firm who has the contract gets the attribution.  Period. 

I believe all involved were required to sign NDAs so does anyone really know who did what, when or why?  Are you implying that Damian broke his NDA?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
As the article mentioned, they hope to have tournament golf there in 2013. I live nearby and and driven around and peeked at the site a bit over the years. Is there really room there to have a PGA fall-series tournament, much less an event of the Major/Ryder Cup-sized aspirations Mr. Fry seems to have?

At the current tournament site at Cordevalle, between the course, resort, winery, vineyards and ancillary property they have enough room for anything you could need to host a tournament. The much maligned cart paths hidden by mounding work for spectator viewing and movement. Between-hole corridors are ample, and could easily handle crowds larger than the ones that followed Tiger on the weekend.

From the aerial shots, The Institute site seems relatively compact by comparison, with smallish access roads (though close to the freeway) and little spare land except to the south and east--which gets into a steep hillside quickly.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
Mike,

The NDA expired soon after the project opened, according to Damian.  He feels Neal is using that as a nice "out" for not getting involved here!

BTW, I asked Damian about the Augusta holes, and he confirmed that Fry is a huge fan of ANGC and requested those holes be fit in there somewhere.  There are also a few other "inspiration" holes from other courses that Fry likes.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Will Lozier

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »
Andy,

I noticed the Augusta like holes - near copies of the 12, 15, and maybe 6 and 2 spring out.  I have spoken to Damian P about it, but he has never mentioned that design influence.  I am guessing John Fry requested that they put that stuff in.

Jeff & Andy,

From a bird's eye view, without the benefit of seeing the real undulation of the property, I can see what look to be replicas of ANGC 6, 12, 13, 15, Pebble 17, and possibly (although this could really be stretching it) tributes to Oakland Hills 16, Oakmont 17, PVGC 18 (approach over road with similar bunkering), and maybe even Olympic 18 (just bunkerless).  And why wouldn't you want to build your favorite holes if you had money to burn and no permit restrictions! ;)

Cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back