News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

A nice formal affair,
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:23:09 AM »
Tuxedo that is.

Tuxedo has to be one of RTJ's best efforts, it's a very enjoyable, yet challenging course to play.

The two starting holes can be a daunting task, and the finishing holes prevent a golfer from limping in and protecting his lead.

The 8th and 18th hole are terrific par 5's.

The par 3's are also interesting.

But, I think it's the outstanding par 4's that make the golf course.

There's great variety, fun and plenty of challenge.

How many have played this course ?

Michael Ryan

Re: A nice formal affair,
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11:09 AM »
Patrick,

I grew up in nearby Warwick, NY and played Tuxedo a handful of times, usually on caddy day with some friends.  I always found Tuxedo to be in fantastic shape and thought the finishing holes (16-18) were fantastic.  Back in the days of trying to qualify for an Ike or Met Amateur (usually unsuccessful) I always noticed the days at Tuxedo filled up quickly and I think that's a testament to players thinking it was a "fair test".  My brother caddied at Tuxedo for years and told me that he once worked for a group from the USGA agronomy staff who were playing in the morning and then sitting with the Super in the afternoon at his invite.  Through about 4 or 5 holes, one of the USGA guys said, "The only agenda item we need to discuss is how can we teach other clubs to be more like Tuxedo".  Give me a round at Tuxedo on a crisp fall day and I'll be a happy man.

Mike

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »
Mike,

I like the mixture of long and short holes, the diversity in the par 5's, 4's and 3's.

The finish is neat, a par 4, 3 and really good 5, all involving water, with # 17 demanding a carry and # 18 demanding a decision to carry or lay up.

I played it two days after Hurricane Irene.
On # 16 I pulled my approach into the left bunker, which was half sand, half mud due to all the rain.
I entered the bunker, hit my bunker shot to about a foot, when one of the guys I was playing with didn't say good shot, he said, "don't back up".  I said "What" ?  He said, "Don't back up, there's a big snake right behind you"  I turned around, and sure enough, in the mud there was a big snake.  I was surprised that I hadn't noticed him when I entered the bunker, but, my eyes were fixed on my ball..  I then approached the snake and determined that it was a rather large Copperhead.  With all the rocks nearby and the water not far away, I couldn't help but think that he must be in frog heaven and that he was sauntering down to the water for a meal.

# 1 is a challenging starting hole and when combined with # 2, can provide for a disastrous start for the careless golfer.

I really like the flow of the golf course on both nines.

I think it's an enjoyable challenge with ample variety.

Glad you liked it to.

Mike Tanner

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »

I played it two days after Hurricane Irene.
On # 16 I pulled my approach into the left bunker, which was half sand, half mud due to all the rain.
I entered the bunker, hit my bunker shot to about a foot, when one of the guys I was playing with didn't say good shot, he said, "don't back up".  I said "What" ?  He said, "Don't back up, there's a big snake right behind you"  I turned around, and sure enough, in the mud there was a big snake.  I was surprised that I hadn't noticed him when I entered the bunker, but, my eyes were fixed on my ball..  I then approached the snake and determined that it was a rather large Copperhead.  With all the rocks nearby and the water not far away, I couldn't help but think that he must be in frog heaven and that he was sauntering down to the water for a meal.

Well, that certainly gives new meaning to the term "risk/reward" hole.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back