News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Can two different greens be in play for the same hole?
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »
   If one green is for the back tees and the other is for the remaining tees is it legit?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:50:01 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

John Kavanaugh

Re: Can two different greens be in play for the same hole? I
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:38:20 PM »
Sounds great, do you think you can put the short green off to the side so we can play through the hacks without having to engage them in conversation. I always hate when they act like making birdie should get a guy a medal.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »
Mike, I could be wrong (ask anyone) but I think that Eisenhower park on Long Island utilizes 2 greens on several par 3 to speed up play.

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:40 PM »
 That would be possible , John. In fact , that's a great reason to do this. The big hitters could play through without even asking.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Re: Can two different greens be in play for the same hole?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »
 Keith,

Could you elaborate?
AKA Mayday

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 09:55:21 PM »
I seem to remember reading 5-10 years ago about a Nicklaus course that had two pin positions/flagsticks on each green. One would be in the fat part of the green, accessible to the lesser player, and the other would be tucked in a corner of the green, accessible to those capable of hitting a high, soft, Nicklaus-ian fade. ;)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »
  If one green is for the back tees and the other is for the remaining tees is it legit?

Mayday,

The 18th at Blackwolf Run Meadow Valleys has a green before the river for the forward tee, and another across the river for all other tees.

Joe
------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
As joe said,

There is a local course here as well, Qualchan Creek, that has the exact same thing on its par 5 18th hole.  One green before the river for the up tee players and one green that requires a carry over the river for everyone else.  Too many complaints from the golden age players spawned the addition.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »
I seem to remember reading 5-10 years ago about a Nicklaus course that had two pin positions/flagsticks on each green. One would be in the fat part of the green, accessible to the lesser player, and the other would be tucked in a corner of the green, accessible to those capable of hitting a high, soft, Nicklaus-ian fade. ;)

Was it Desert Mountain?

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:13:47 AM »
From memory there are two greens in play at The Lakes in Sydney, I presume for reasons mentioned above.
Maybe Mike C could confirm & elaborate?
@Pure_Golf

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 01:38:44 AM »
Mike,

At the Lakes the 14th hole is a shortish par five with there is a long water carry (at he shortest point it is probably 80 yards and that is 440 yards off the tee) all the way to the green.
There is an alternate women's green to the right that does not involve playing over the water.
They always played to that green but since we have built the new - and much bigger green - they often play across the water and seem to handle it ok.
Of course, in Japan most courses have two greens - summer and winter - at every hole.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 03:02:26 AM »
There is one at Twin Eagles in Naples, FL.  A long par 4 with a 100 yard carry over swamp to the long green.  I suspect that many of the senior members, as well as women, play the short green. 

Is it legit?  In what context?  The course is rated and sloped differently for the two greens, so handicapping is covered.  I assume that they decide which green is in play for matches or tournaments and then all play the same.

David_Elvins

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 06:32:00 AM »
Mike,

At the Lakes the 14th hole is a shortish par five with there is a long water carry (at he shortest point it is probably 80 yards and that is 440 yards off the tee) all the way to the green.
There is an alternate women's green to the right that does not involve playing over the water.

mike, do they have an alternate green on 16 as well, or is that for something else?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 08:18:18 AM »
Mike, It has been many years since I have played Eisenhower park, but from what I remeber, they had some double greens.  The courses were always very crowded, and some of the par 3's had two different greens. There was only 1 tee box, but when you got to the par 3, you could always play because the group ahead would be on the other green. Of course this did nothing for the wait on the next tee! I have no idea how to use Google Earth, but you may be able to see it on an aerial.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
Keith,

Could you elaborate?

Mike,

I'm not Keith, but yes, two of the three courses there (the Blue and the White) both utilize the double green. 

Eisenhower park has three courses; Red, White, and Blue.  When my mom was growing up there between 1946-1972, it was known as Salisbury park. The PGA was held on the Red course in the 1920s. 
Blue and White are public-course Trent Jones.  Conditioning is as expected, as play is heavy on all courses; since the Senior tour plays/played on Red, that course is "protected" from excessive play a little more than the other two.  They utilize separate tee boxes for each green, but they are relatively identical (same length, same basic bunker sizes/shapes).

Eisenhower is geographically between GCGC and Bethpage, but closer in distance to GC.   
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Dave,

There is an alternate green at 16 around the corner but it doesn't seem to be a very good hole. It just saves the higher markers making the carry.
The women's 14th is, in contrast, quite good.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
Renegade at Desert Mountain in Scottsdale feature two green all around making the number of tee and green combinations seemingly limitless...and it works. There is a tough green and and easier green, which should suit all players in some way. A really cool concept.

Greg

Gary Slatter

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »

I think this was Renegade in Scottsdale, not sure if it is still set up like that.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »
Mississaugua GCC (G. Cumming / D Ross / S Thompson) has two greens in play on hole.  No idea when that started or if part of the original design (doubt it), ditto for below.

Weston G&CC (Willie Park Jr. / Weir & Andrew) the second hole has two greens in play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back