News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tonyt

Re: RiverWinds: Ed Shearon's first solo effort (a pictorial essay)
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 09:08:59 AM »
We in Australia also have a few designers who frequently find sites where the green complexes seem to naturally fall among unique terrain of evenly proportioned chocolate drop mounds. All the more impressive when taken into account that the site's surroundings have no such fortune in boasting such delightful features.

Tongue out of cheek and referencing what has been said above, I find it a crime that such movement is restricted to cheap looking framing and corridor banking and plays no part in the contouring on and around the putting surfaces or down the centre lines of play.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »
I played Riverwinds today for the first time this year. Ron Jaworski's company has now been in charge for the entire summer. I am saddened to report that bunkers on the back nine are in terrible condition. The 3 bunkers surrounding the 10th green were unplayable as they were all lakes as were the greenside bunkers on 11 & 12. The left greenside bunker on 13 was a lake and unplayable.The fairway bunkers on the right side of 14 were horrendous as there was no sand at all and grass was growing high inside. It looked like the bunkers on the right side of 18 green had been cleaned up and looked good. I did not have my camera. I wish I did.I had heard that things were improving there. Apparently not.There is much to be done there. I won't return.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

astavrides

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
I played Riverwinds today for the first time this year. Ron Jaworski's company has now been in charge for the entire summer. I am saddened to report that bunkers on the back nine are in terrible condition. The 3 bunkers surrounding the 10th green were unplayable as they were all lakes as were the greenside bunkers on 11 & 12. The left greenside bunker on 13 was a lake and unplayable.The fairway bunkers on the right side of 14 were horrendous as there was no sand at all and grass was growing high inside. It looked like the bunkers on the right side of 18 green had been cleaned up and looked good. I did not have my camera. I wish I did.I had heard that things were improving there. Apparently not.There is much to be done there. I won't return.

Coincidentally, Steve, I played it for the first time on Tuesday.  I almost contacted you afterwards to let you know it was in poor condition, since we had talked about playing it.  Unfortunately, I flaked.  I am a little surprised to hear that the bunkers had not dried out since Tuesday, since we hadn't gotten rain since then.  Admittedly, the course probably got 4 inches or so over the weekend.  The front 9 bunkers were not much better than the back nine.  I hasten to add, that there were, in fact, several bunkers on the course that were playable.  But since I only hit one bunker all day, it wasn't thaaaaat bad of a place to play.  The greens were puttable, although the firmness varied greatly from hole to hole.  The rest of the conditioning of the course was no worse than mediocre.  One could expect to find grass underneath one's ball usually, unlike Golden Pheasant, which I played today.
Riverwinds remains a nice layout in need of TLC.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »
We submitted a proposal to manage the course and made it clear that we had no interest in acquiring it. I suspect one reason Jaws & Co. were selected was the fact that they told the Township that are interested in buying it. COnsidering the debt on the property and the capital rquirements to build a driving range and clubhouse a purchase makes no economical sense. Was Jaws leading the Township on???

astavrides

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »
I played Twisted Dune yesterday and, similar to Riverwinds, seemingly half the bunkers were lakes. Also, Twisted was playing slow and soggy, not fast and firm, as would be suitable there.  Maybe, since Twisted Dune is a favorite on this board, we should blame the weather and give Riverwinds a get out of jail free card.  Or maybe we should wonder what is going on at Twisted Dune.  The good news is that if there is an outing at Twisted Dune around Walker cup time, it should be in better condition since there is no rain in the forecast this week.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 09:53:41 PM »
Riverwinds is apparently back from the brink. Still no clubhouse or range yet. Conditions have improved. I'll believe it when I see it:

http://westdeptford.patch.com/articles/riverwinds-golf-course-back-from-the-brink
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 11:37:31 PM »
When I played Glen Mills a couple of months ago 2 of the gentleman I played with were ex-regulars at Riverwinds. Both were nice guys and said they had been playing it since day 1 but they weren't seeing positive improvements and they thought Jaworski had over extended himself with his courses. I don't know how true any of this was but talking to people around there Jaworksi's course empire seemed to be very polarizing from folks. Talked to folks who considered him a savior and others who thought he was destroying a few courses.

John Shimony

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »
I was really looking forward to an improved Riverwinds.  The wide open nature of the course and a blend if I recall of hard and easy holes really gives the course some potential.  They have some pretty good GolfNow deals for afternoon golf if anyone wants to check it out in the coming weeks.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back