News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Travis Dewire

St. Marks Golf Club, Southborough, MA
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »
St. Mark's golf course, a 9 hole course in Southborough, MA. The course was owned by the school, (St. Mark's) and is now owned and operated by some company, that manages a few 9 hole courses in the area. The card (or pro) said the course was laid out circa 1915 by the Choate family, on their property, and I think solely for them. The course is adjascent to the school, and has retained wonderful characteristics over the years. While the length may have been outdated, the greens were round and small, well guarded by bunkers, hilltops, and wonderful slopes. Everything still felt like it had never been altered, greens, bunkers, tees and all.

Any more info about the course???

If ever the chance, a must play!

Dan_Callahan

Re: St. Marks Golf Club, Southborough, MA
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
Hi Travis,

I went to St. Mark's in the late 80s, and a funny fact about the course is that back then the school didn't have a golf team! We used to walk over and have 4 of us playing out of one bag on Sundays, but otherwise I think students spent more time in the course drinking under the cover of dark than they did playing golf.

I was just back there a few months ago to see friends, and my understanding is that the school still owns it but outsourced the management.

Dan

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:20:01 AM »
TE Paul went to St Marks as well. Good to see some fellow ISLers on here. Our golf team plyed out of Belmont CC, a Ross course.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
Hey Sean,

I work at Brooks School, so have spent a shocking number of years in the ISL. We're actually starting a golf team next spring, as is St. George's (had heard they were playing out if Newport National, but then a few days ago heard that Newport CC was going to be their home course). Been an independent for the last few years, where I've brought 3-5 kids in fall and spring to North Andover CC and Renaissance. I brought my best golfer to play in the ISL championship last spring, where he came in 2nd as a sophomore. It was the first time I had seen Belmont CC, and I was really impressed. That same golfer later went on to finish 25th in the Mass Junior Am (had an awful 84 on the 1st day, but followed that up with 77 and 76 to climb up the leaderboard. A dew weeks later he won the Kittansett club championship.

There are some very, very good young holders playing in the ISL right now, boys and girls.

Dan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back