News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Thought for the day
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2002, 10:35:31 AM »
Dan:

Is there some fundamental law of what's beautiful to man? Of course not; beauty surely is in the eye of the beholder!

But are there fundamental laws of nature that involve nature's elements and how they interrelate with each other? Like wind and water on sand, on dunes and on turf, for instance?

I would not be so quick to dismiss that, if I were you. This might very well be provable indeed and even formulated to some degree. We're talking elements here, not the mind!

If that were so would the results of nature's processes, although perhaps random to some degree, nevertheless be  considered to be the result of "natural laws"--of geophysics, for instance? I would think so!

But even with that would one man see the same harmony, balance or fine proportion in it as the next man? Maybe not. But does that mean that it is not so?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Rich_Goodale

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2002, 10:35:49 AM »
Thanks Tom

I'm off for a couple of days on sprog duty and will look forward to reviewing all of your work on my return.

Cheers

Rich

Dan Kelly

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2002, 10:48:41 AM »
Tom Paul --

You write: "[A]re there fundamental laws of nature that involve nature's elements and how they interrelate with each other? Like wind and water on sand, on dunes and on turf, for instance? I would not be so quick to dismiss that, if I were you."

I DIDN'T dismiss that. I didn't do anything of the sort!

I dismissed -- or, more accurately, doubted -- this line by Dr. Mac: "When these elements obey the fundamental laws of balance, of harmony and fine proportion, they give rise to what we call beauty."

If the good Doctor had written with as much humility as you do, I probably wouldn't have doubted him, much less dismissed him.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2002, 01:14:57 PM »
Dan:

Thank you! Yes, those old guys may have lacked some humility, it's true, but they did live in another time and another world! Some of the writers in golf back then got pretty fired up!

Can you imagine the like of MacKenzie, Tillinghast and Flynn on Golfclubatlas? They stomp Pat Mucci to death like a herd of rogue elephants if he gave them too much lip!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back