News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Native Grasses
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:29:04 AM »
On a recent trip to the far east, we had the opportunity to visit Sanya, on Hainan Island.  A nice tropical Chinese resort area.  In our wanderings along the beachfront boardwalk we came across a small park that had a fine sward of very fine grass.  Now, I'm guessing that it doesn't get a lot of maintenance, but it would have made a fine fairway or even a green if it was mowed a little tighter.  It sure reminded me of native Scottish fescues, but it was happily growing in a hot and humid tropical setting.  Could it be that it is a naturally occurring native grass?  Could it be that this native grass could be useful in golf course applications in tropical and sub-tropical environments?

Just as a word of warning, though, if you are in Sanya, there is a golden arch with a red star bridging the main road not 5 minutes walk from this park.  I took a photo of it.  It looked interesting.  Bad move.  We were detained by the Chinese Navy for an hour and a half for apparently taking a forbidden picture of a Naval base.  Who would have guessed.  We sweated it out as they tried to decide if we were CIA spies or something.  Welcome to China!

Micah Woods

Re: Native Grasses
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:47:54 AM »
Hi Bryan,

That is almost certainly Zoysia matrella, a native grass to this region and one that provides a fine turf for golf courses. It should be used more on golf courses in SE Asia, but its relatively slow establishment rate, and the demand of many owners for a golf course as soon as possible, leads to the overuse of bermudagrass and seashore paspalum.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »
Welcome to Hainan, I was just iin Sanya taking "Photos" of actual golf courses.... Not acting as a spy.... needless to say I was not detained and I am now back in Haikou after a short train ride.....

Here is another good sign worthy of your attention:

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:45:32 AM »
Much nicer than "Keep off the Grass!"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:07 PM »
Seems the Chinese have a sense of humour, in English anyway, about their signage.  Much more than about their military installations.

Micah,

Thanks for the info.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
Interesting indeed.

Especially given that I could probably get more intel on thier base in Sanya sitting right here at home, than if I was there..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sanya+naval+base,+china&hl=en&ll=18.268478,109.521675&spn=0.260488,0.421257&sll=18.233917,109.607849&sspn=0.268693,0.421257&t=h&z=12

Bryan Izatt

Re: Native Grasses New
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
Indeed you could.  There is even a Panoramio picture of the offending gate.  Mine of course got erased in the encounter.  Fortunately I got to keep the camera.

The gate has been renovated since this picture.  No gun emplacement, no flags, no barricades or guards, just a nice solid gold gate with a big red star. Just one person in Navy dress whites, who i didn't notice from 150 yards away, standing by the block house to the right of the gate where the gun emplacement was. Totally innocuous.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:57:08 PM by Bryan Izatt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back